Labradors Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious as to the number of dog food companies in the UK... being from the states, there are a large variety of dog food companies, and many with very high quality products. As I've been reading post etc.. there is no mention of grain free high protein dog foods... I understand skinners has most of the market in the UK.. still, from a ingredients stand point there are so many other companies in the US whom offer higher quality products.... Is it an expense issue that keeps people from using these products?.. or availability... a few....
Orijen-- canadian based company
Wellness Core formula
Barking at the moon solid gold
Merricks
there are 15 or better high quality dog foods in the US grain free.. yet to my knowledge, I have not seen any posts re these foods.. ?
Just curious as to whether the members are aware of these quality products..

·
Premium Member
21,240 Posts
Yes I have heard of Orijen and its often recommended to people who's dogs are grain intolerant or have other allergies.

I have also used Fromme and Eaglepack, but there is only 1 distributor in the UK and its quit pricey.

·
Registered
15,284 Posts
Skinners is popular on here but I'm not sure it has most of the market in the UK - I would imagine that is held by the bigger companies that have a bigger advertising budget!

Orijen has been mentioned on here a few times. I know a few people that feed it, have looked at it myself.

There are plenty of people in the UK who feed higher quality foods - just as I'm sure there are those in the US who feed the cheaper/lesser quality ones :wink:

I spend a fair bit on dog food - mine have Naturediet (a high quality moist food) and some dry Arden Grange. I have looked at Orijen and have also considered feeding raw at some point though not yet taken the plunge. If money was endless, which it's not sadly right now, I would probably buy a meat/veg mix made fresh at the local farm shop.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, I understand the budget restraints people have.. Orijen was voted dog food of the year... and as you might expect, it is the highest priced food on the market.. its basically 70$ us per 30 lbs.. or about 27 k.. im guessing the Orijen in higher priced in the UK, and thus not in most peoples budgets.. and Im feeding only 1, so obv if there are a few labbie's in the household one must take that into account also.. theres a real push in the US towards grain free foods, and Ive done alot of research on canine diet that supports grain free products.. Its just a curiosity for me..

·
Registered
426 Posts
Ive been researching dog foods recently, since for all sorts of reasons, when we move the Bug to adult food, I want to move away from Hills - which he has been on more or less from the beginning....

It is probably worth you trawling through the diet and nutrition forum Elsa's Mum (sorry I did see your name on a post, but it escapes me now), since you will see the likes of me, pouring over various stuffs available and read the discussions...

I have decided to go for a brand called Challenge.....not particularly well known, since I believe the promotional budget must be around zero, but the nutritional breakdown looks pretty good and I have seen some fabby bigger breeds who are fed on this...

I would agree with Angela, that Skinners would not be the leader here......I think that is still likely to be Pedigree Chum!!

Gerry

·
Premium Member
8,702 Posts
I think you will find Skinners has a very small part of the dog food market over here, but is one of only a handful of small independant companies. It is just popular on here because there are a fair few working folk and it is primarily a Working Gundog Food, which over here means VAT free.

The majority of the pet food market is driven by a few huge companies with similar advertising budgets. However I maintain that people like to just pick up there petfood when going round the supermarket, so it will be the products on the supermarket shelves that get the majority of the sales (very sadly in a lot of cases).

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Im labler.... short for lab lover..lol... and ELSA's dad...lol.. It was my thought that most dog food in the UK was imported.. thus, not quite the variety of foods as the US market.... pedigree.. is on the low end of the dog food market in the states.. it might sell more then others due to its presence on the market shelves yet the availability of quality foods has sky rocketed in the states.. eating greatly into the market share of shelved market foods... at near every feed or pet store now you have the full range of products, and in recent yrs... the past 3 or so.. the amount of new products being introduced has grow exponentionally.. and the prices have dropped to near super market prices.. + 10%- 20%.. so most likely these product will be working there way to your market place..I had my Elsa on the orijen till a yr.. large breed puppy food which has the correct levels of calcium less then 2% to slow bone development thus helping prevent HD.. now shes older i have rotated in other products and her development has been perfect.. if any one would like a product list of foods to look for in your area i will be happy to give you a list of great product.. perhaps you can ask your local supplier to stock them.. all the products im refering to are between 32%-42% protien with no grain fillers, just fruits veg fish oils and vitamins...just pm...

·
Administrator
21,500 Posts
It was my thought that most dog food in the UK was imported
I would very much doubt that. I think far and away the majority of dog food in the UK is manufactured here. Sadly some companies here have been brought up by big multinational companies, which I dont think was in the interests of the dog or dog owner, but most at least started out here. Of the smaller companies well thought of, Masters which is produced by Peter Masters is what I feed. Skinners sponsor quite a bit in the way of working gundog competition. Chudleys is another which sponsors working gundogs is made by Dodson & Horrell.

Regards, John

·
Registered
14,890 Posts
labler said:
I had my Elsa on the orijen till a yr.. large breed puppy food which has the correct levels of calcium less then 2% to slow bone development thus helping prevent HD..
Not sure why, because I've seen literally hundreds of food posts during my time on LF - but yours got me thinking - I have never been a dried food fan - and never fed it until we got up to three - and I know that my dogs raised on dried food do not have the stomach constitution of my older girls.

As a result, despite my reservations over protein levels, I have ordered in some Orijen to try on one of my older girls to start with, and been in touch with the company with a heap of questions based around protein / impact on puppy joints etc.

What I did find interesting was the indication that in fact milk and milk products have some 30% higher digestibility than the grains included in most commercial dog foods - i know companies will do whatever they can to sell a product - but the fact they alluded to the issue of commercial dog food manufacturers brainwashing us that feeding scraps was bad also caught my attention - years ago our dogs were fed on anything and everything and seldom came to any harm - most living to a ripe old age.

Will see how I get on with the Orijen and update as and when.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sue,
This is some supporting research re your questions above and for others whom might be interested.
Google: The Dog Food Project
there in the left column you will find a reference - puppy click

This article goes into depth about how higher protein level are necc for a growing pup, and how important it is to restrict calcium levels for large breed puppies

Left column - senior dogs - click
This goes into depth about how higher protein levels are needed for senior dogs.

left column - To much protein - click
This goes into great detail about how the dry kibble should have extra water added and much more

left column - myths - click
This supports our view that scraps are no distraction from diet based on common sense

left column- Questions on diet - click
Supports my food rotation efforts

there is so so much more on this site, ive just touched bases on a few things.. its worth the 30-45 minutes to read the research tis woman did, as she is qualified with multiple degrees and more importantly is an independent source, not swayed by veterinarians or marketing schemes of the dog food industry...

Hope this proves helpful.

bruce

·
Registered
14,890 Posts
Thanks Bruce

Although I didn't do the same search term - this was actually the website I stumbled upon after reading your thread which ultimately prompted me to start doing some additional research - but was focussing more on the food products - will have a read of the links you suggest.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts