1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
714 Posts
Would just like to mention that I have found inaccuracies on this website - it is very useful, but if your dog is allergic to something then probably as well to check with the manufacturer rather than relying on the information on the site. (Thinking especially here of owners of epileptic labs looking for a rosemary free food :D )

·
Registered
8 Posts
I researched the best I could for dog food. I have to come find Blue Buffalo Chicken and Brown Rice Life Protection Dog Food Puppy (Large Breed). I figured my Buddy is a large breed but there seem to be more debates on this as I search more and more on the forums. I would like opinions from others on here about the current food I am using for him. Dog food advisor rates it a 4.5 stars out of 5 and this is the only puppy food I could find in my area (small selection).

One more thing, the pounds on the rate scale for portions on the bag start as low as 50lbs at 1 1/2 to 3 cups a day. It threw me off but most other recommendations I have seen for his age and weight are 1 1/2 to 2 cups so I am going with 2 cups right now. Thanks for your time. :)

Here is the website that I took my advice from.

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/blue-buffalo-dog-food-life-protection-dry/

·
Premium Member
17,440 Posts
Its not a food or brand I recognise. some people do call a lab a large breed, I guess it depends how big the pups parents are and how big he is likely to get. My 2 are definitely medium size as small labs. I do tend to think of large breeds as Danes, hovawarts, wolfhounds, st Bernards and similar rather than labs. The pounds feeding advice being only as low as 50lbs kind of indicates that the large breed food is aimed at bigger dogs than him. My girl full size weighs around that weight! The great Dane pup near us at 5 months was heavier than 50lbs! I'm sure there probably isn't much difference in the content of the normal and large breed foods though, just marketing I imagine :wink:
The ingredients remind me proplan type food at first glance which Luna got on with fine, I switched her to Skinners food just because I could understand the ingredients as simpler as well as the lower cost.

Food is such a tricky thing to decide on, if your pup/dog grows well, fit and healthy then the food is probably ok!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Luna-Tuck said:
Its not a food or brand I recognise. some people do call a lab a large breed, I guess it depends how big the pups parents are and how big he is likely to get. My 2 are definitely medium size as small labs. I do tend to think of large breeds as Danes, hovawarts, wolfhounds, st Bernards and similar rather than labs. The pounds feeding advice being only as low as 50lbs kind of indicates that the large breed food is aimed at bigger dogs than him. My girl full size weighs around that weight! The great Dane pup near us at 5 months was heavier than 50lbs! I'm sure there probably isn't much difference in the content of the normal and large breed foods though, just marketing I imagine :wink:
The ingredients remind me proplan type food at first glance which Luna got on with fine, I switched her to Skinners food just because I could understand the ingredients as simpler as well as the lower cost.

Food is such a tricky thing to decide on, if your pup/dog grows well, fit and healthy then the food is probably ok!
Thanks for the response. I figure the same, as long as he grows well. The food ingredients are great in my opinion, I maybe will just do the minimum portions a day. I am going to stick with the food for now because he enjoys it and I will just see how he progresses from the one bag I have. He is taking it very well as far as digesting and the other.

·
Registered
15,284 Posts
I think the Labrador is considered a large breed. Breeds like Danes, Wolfhounds St Bs etc. would come under Giant, wouldn't they?

I'd think of spaniel sized dogs as more of a medium sized breed :)

·
Premium Member
6,608 Posts
That link takes you to a page of sponsored links, I don't think the original site is running as it was.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts