Labradors Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another question from the novices if you dont mind ;-)

We dont yet have a dog flap in our house. Scott is home all day which helps and if the lounge door is closed - Milo has learnt to bark once and someone will come running. However, as she gets older we'll be leaving her at home for a few hours while we head out to do the shopping etc and we're starting to consider getting a dog flap. Unfortunately we have unusual patio doors and none of the standard dog flaps will fit - so we'll have to go to the expense of having a custom one fitted. No doubt a costly exercise.

Thing is - labrador size doors are not exactly small and it raises a security risk for me. Im inclined to think they're not necessary if Milo has regular access to the garden and we'd never leave her for more than 3 / 4 hours at a time any way ?

Just wondered what your thoughts were or if any of you have other creative ideas ?

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
Hi,

I did think about getting a dog flap myself when Bailey was younger but had the same reservations as you on the security side.

Bailey is with me most of the time and has excellant bladder control :lol: The accaisions i leave him for short periods (up to 4 hours) he just sleeps on the sofa 8O He does wee on comand though.....before i have to leave him i let him out in the garden and tell him to go for a wee ......he goes straight out and does as he's told (doesn't happen often in other areas mind!! :oops: )

He's nearly 2 now and don't feel i've ever or will ever need one.

·
Registered
880 Posts
We have patio doors too and Richey never seemed to mind being left, as she's with me all day Vogue has a command 'better go now' to tell her this is your oppertunity to go to the loo, start off using it just before she goes, eg when shes sniffing or circling. You can also choose where she goes which also solves the problem of lawn burn.
Anna

·
Registered
13,082 Posts
I would always worry about someone stealing my dog if I wasn't at home and he would be the garden.

As they get older they do have great bladder control and 4 hours is no problem for 6 month old Corbie now. He'll just sleep if we go out.

Plus, I need to keep an eye on him if he's outside otherwise the garden would get destroyed! :lol:

·
Registered
12,175 Posts
i would also worry on the security front. not so much that some one would get in but that with dog napping becoming a major problem, some one could easily wait untill they know you are out and then it would be so easy to take the dog.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Excellent. Im more thrilled that "weeing on command" is not unusual because Milo is just brilliant at this. There I thought she was the cleverest lab on the planet. Guess I'll just have to settle for her being the cutest ;-)

·
Registered
462 Posts
Hi there,

my husband works shifts so our little Milo is not often left on his own as I work Monday to Friday 10-6. But on the occasions he was left on his own when he was younger, he has had a couple of accidents. He's now 7 months and has no problems but there was one time when he suddenly became ill and had the runs and two wees. Luckily, I leave him where the laminate flooring is so it was pretty easy to clean up etc. I think that you really won't have a problem with your Milo at all as she sounds well trained and they obviously only go to the toilet when left alone when they are absolutely desperate. Sometimes I come home with dread just incase he's done something but he doesn't do it anymore. My neighbour suggested leaving Milo on his own when he was younger and go out for half an hour and increase the time gradually so they get used to it as sometimes they can get distressed on their own - but this is rare. I thought about leaving Milo outside in our enclosed garden but just was too worried about having him stolen. I wouldn't get a dog flap as somebody could easily get through one and break into your house/steal your dog. You'll be surprised at how long they can hold their toileting. If you're only going out for 4 hours at a time, I'm sure you'll be absolutely fine.

Colette x

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
hiya

i ahve 3 dogs 2 labs and a cavalier king charles we have never thought of a dog flap as like the ppl above me have said it does pose a securtiy risk or someone stealing the dog...
they are all fine the longest i am out the house it 2hrs max of a weekend but of course make sure they go to the toilet before you leave...

·
Registered
669 Posts
I've had both the dog flap and now without one.

I'd say the benefits are great, they can come and go all night if they wish, I think it has less to do with needing the toilet as they learn quickly to ask for that. That if you are away for longer periods they can have access to the garden as they desire. Downside apart from security is if its muddy outside your house doesnt stand a chance!

We now have glass doors leading to the garden. They soon learned how to open the sliding door when I was out and I found two labs asleep on my bed when I got home. We made it more secure but makes you wonder - if a burglar wants in he'll get in. They just ask to go out for 'business' and get a let out at about 11 at night and then wait until 7am to go out. The only place I have a dog flap is the shed...just incase they get caught out in the rain one day and want to go in for shelter and we're not around.

I'd say a dog flap isn't a necessity so I wouldnt go to the expense of getting a custom one. Each dog learns routine and if they're not left alone for long periods then there isnt a real need for one.

·
Registered
16,475 Posts
Hi

I have never had a dog Flap Hershey learnt qiiuckly to ask to go out and if the patio doors are left open slightly he nudges it open so he can get out... 8O

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
We have never had a dog flap and cant see us ever having one to be honest - mainly because I am not comfortable leaving the dogs access to the garden when we are out because of the increased risk of them being stolen.

Friends of ours however have always had a dog flap ever since their lab was 3 months old - and they work full time. Anyway, they fortunately have never had any problems, but because the dogs only know how to get outside to go to the toilet via the dog flap they dont know how to ask to go out, when we looked after them recently, despite taking them out frequently they thought nothing of weeing and pooing throughout our house....we were not all that impressed!!! :oops:

So, as everyone else says Milo will soon be able to hold in the wees until you come home! :D

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have to agree with every one else too.

I thought about the dog flap issue briefly, I decided against it though not only for security issues but also knowing that Buddy would be outside when I wasn't there and what would he be up to?! I know I wouldn't have had a garden left thats for sure.....as we all know how much labs enjoy gardening! I probably would have had the garden in the kitchen too!

I think by 5months old most are controling their bladders well (with the occasional mishap), I use the wee on command which is good as I know he will go before I go out. Like the others Bud tends to just flake out and go to sleep when I'm not there.

:)

Tracy :)

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
I too agree with the security and stealing side everyone else has said about.

We have taught ben to go to the toilet on command, it took a while but they are very clever dogs and learn things quickly. If ben wants to go out and the door is shut then he flicks the cat flap with his head to get our attention and someone will come and let him out..lol

1 - 14 of 14 Posts