Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Research by Argos Pet Insurance has shown that many ordinary pet dogs have a wide 'vocabulary'.

Among the dog owners who were part of a recent survey of 10,000 customers these were the results:

- 17 % claimed their dogs understood up to 3 words.

- 30 % claimed up to 10 words.

- 27 % up to 20 words.

- 10 % said their dogs understood up to 30 words.

- And 11 % said their dogs knew in the excess of 30 words!

When asked which words their dogs knew and understood, the top 10 were as follows:

1) Walkies
2) Stay
3) Fetch
4) No
5) Get Down
6) Dinner
7) Bedtime
8 )Squirrels
9) Paw
10) Roll Over

Other more unusual, but popular words included 'swimming', 'mummy' & 'daddy' and finally 'love'.

It's hardly surprising that dog owners claim their dogs understand the word 'dinner' - especially if they own a labrador!! :lol:

We find Bradley understands the following words:

Give, Drop, Stay, Come, What's This?
Drink, Din-Dins, Doggy, Horsey, Go 'Poo'
Go 'Wee', Mummy, Daddy, Go Get Daddy!
No, Two Minutes, Sit, Heel, Down, Shake A Paw
Where's Monkey? Up, Go Sleepies, Ball, Fetch,
Walkies, and of course 'Bradley' :D

We are working on the 'not today'

How about your labs?

What words can they understand?

It would be interesting to find out.

Thx everyone,

Julie

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
hi julie

i have 3 dogs brandy and charlie both nearly 7 rosze being the youngest at 9motnhs and still learning her words but ill group them all together..lol.

sit-stay-heel-walk-over-paw-down-off-no-
getdown-up-in-out-walkies-park-beach-lead-food-
dinner-treat-bone-ball-fetch-drop-come-move-quiet-
drink-brandy-rosze-charlie-mum-dad-find-
leave-nice-wait-gentle-kiss-were is it-love-toy-speak

43 so far i cant think of the rest at the moment..lol.. thinking about it they do know a lot of words which is amazing..lol.then again we do talk to them like humans ..lol..one day they may turn round and answer us in human language now that would be a laugh..lol..

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
Hi Julie,

Well Bailey understands many words........he just choses to ignore them :oops:

His list to my recollection are as follows......

Bailey - oi! - Sit up - lay down - head down - flat - up - get
down - OFF - No - paw - other paw - biscuit - dinner -
breakfast - do a wee - out - do you want ....walk, car, bath,vets
back off - out of the kitchen - quiet - where's your ball - fetch it -
leave - heel- in your basket - off to bed - that's enough -
stop biting your nails - give us a kiss and watch!

If i can remember any more i'll add them on later..............

·
Registered
7,736 Posts
Tilly understands

Come, wait, heel, sit, roll over, flat, head down, down, fetch it, find it, leave, drop, where is it, where's it gone?, treat, biscuits, breakfast, dinner, basket, do a wee, in, now !, up ya come, bedtime, into bed, baby, where's auntie K, Bailey, no, get down, off, move, give us a kiss, ball, show me?, give us your paw, ...and the other one, walk, car, whats this, away, go on and Tilly.......

Infact better IQ than ex husband and certainly better looking :wink:

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
oh yeah a few others..lol.

crate-bed-blanket-car-bath-water-frank-
shhhh-dont touch-oi stop it-

lol..i think everyone could go on and on ..lol.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Hi Julie

Buster is 7 months and undertands:

sit/down/stay/come/heel/turn/close/finish/wait/over/park/walkies/good boy/naughtyboy/dinner/water/sweetie(treat)/leaveit/stop it/give/ball/ kong/door/gate /out/in/up/lie down/wee wee/poo/bin/washing/who's that?/enough/quiet/lick/catch/fetch/bed/stone/wobbly(toy)/no/off/car/bone/hello/window/Buster.

Can't think of any more but that's 48 :)

I think it's amazing how many words they can learn to understand.

Kev

·
Registered
7,736 Posts
....RIGHT KAYE !

.......dont ask for MY services again 8O :wink: :D

Gonna teach Bailey naughty things when he next pays a visit now :twisted: :twisted:

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
OOohhhhh Tetchy!!!!!!!

But Bailey loves coming to stay with you, he'll be gutted :cry: :cry:

I'm sure there is nothing you can teach my big bundle of fur that he doesn't already know 8O although he still has things up his sleeve that Tilly has yet to try :wink:

·
Registered
16,475 Posts
Hershey knows the follow

Hershey, sit, stay, din dins, go wee, go poo, charlie chocolate, duckie, wombat, no, go in the front room, paw, other paw, hungary, good boy, down, are you hungary, pigs ear, stop snoring, get daddy, mummy, attack, kisses, beddie bye time, look after mummies house, carrots, Jerkie, Meaty chunk, park, drop it, Bundle, chippie, Belly rub, Treats

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi All,

Sure is amazing how intelligent our labs are, there's a good selection of words here!

Kaye - i laughed when i read the 'Stop biting your nails' lol for Bailey! :D

Sounds like our labs have huge dialogues. :wink:

Julie

·
Registered
7,556 Posts
Ok, Shadow being an elder statesman has forgotten more than he knows!! but here's a list of those that he can still remember and understand:

Shadow, Rosie, mummy, daddy, fetch, where is, drop, leave, food(!), biscuits, bed, sit, stay, lie down, paw, other paw, say please, Bertie, Webster, suzie, Jaws, Santa, Tony, Tennis ball, Dentastick, Bonio, Come, Go Out, Up, Down and I think he now understands 'Barco'!

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
Here are Bens,

Ben, sophie, dougal, sit, speak, stay,wait, roll over, down, paw, up, who's that?, drop it, heel, fetch, ball, pass here, go get the mail, dinner, leave it,
nicely,no, leave the cat..lol, get off the b****y sofa, get out of the pond, STOP BRINGING IN STICKS....lol

I'm sure there are more but I can't thing of them at the moment.. :lol:

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
i guess we are the dumbest here lolz... we only know few words...

sit/stay/down/out/no/badboy/goodboy/come(he's deaf to this one)/shakehands/search/go/vidhya/dhabu(my hubby's pet name)/Maa (mother i.e my mother in law).....

Thats it !!!!!!more then this we look like this..... 8O .... :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
come(he's deaf to this one)
Hi Vidhya,

lol!! I know what you mean, so is Bradley funnily enough!

Maybe this is the one word they just cannot learn properly!!! :wink: :lol:

It's interesting to see the words they do know though, and i'm sure they know a whole load more that we don't know about. I'm beginning to wonder if Brad know's the words 'let's go shopping' and 'what's for tea tonight' !! Anything with food involved and we have his undivided attention!! lol :lol:

Hope you & Frodo are doing ok,

Have a good week.

Bye for now

Julie

·
Registered
669 Posts
Good post!

Mine understand strange things....

My favourite being if I tell them to do something and they dont ie: off or go downstairs, and they ignore me. I count. 1 - and they walk backwards, 2 - they are usually gone or at least close to going, if we get as far as 3 they bolt! It means they get a real telling off for reaching 3.

George, Charlie, Boys, babies, Walkies, sleepies, no, leave it, treats, uppies, breakfast, dinner, Where is [persons name] they can identify 6 people. Cats, dogs, speak (only george does this). Go kiss [persons names] or go kiss [persons name] ear, sit, down, off, come, paw, wait, this way, swimming, where are the noonoos? (Which is where are the insects? and I get funny faces that stare up to the ceiling looking for insects!) Go business, outside, kitchen, up stairs, downstairs. go play, Who wants a...love, walkies, treat (various endings to this one), fetch, bring, Where is (item like ball or toy or even brother!) Whos there (I get very serious looks, pricked up ears and if I repeat it they go to the front door).

As you can tell I talk to my boys far to much :D

·
Premium Member
8,834 Posts
I polled 30-40 but I reckon it's a lot more now I've written them down . She knows some french commands too (for the sake of my neighbours!)
Mummy/Daddy/Coco/Pops/Milly/Peedipie/Sit/Assis/Down/Coucher
Finish/A ta place/Here/Heel/Touch/Find/Hold/Fetch/Au pied/Stay
Wait/Over/Climb/See saw/Weave/Up/Back/Close/Come/Gizza Kiss
Right down/Right in/Dinner/Biscuit/In yer box/No/Tats/Go touch/Quick quick/Be a good girl
Good/Budge up/Get down/Bad/Leave it/
and finally
Where’s the...
Squeaky
Slipper
Mouse

:lol: :lol:

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
the only thing i say to console my weak heart is "english is not our mother tongue" lolz.... :lol: :lol: .....

Julie we are fine except when we read this thread :wink:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts