Labradors Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

Just thought I would tell you about our expereince with our new Choc Lab puppy - 13 weeks old.

I had a massive fight with my other half about buying a dog crate for the house. I thought it was cruel and not very family dog friendly.

Well I'm eating my words now and having to apologise a lot!

Our puppy was purchased from a farm and was used to being in a pen. Within the first hour of arriving at our house he loved the cage (we don't shut the door) and made it his den. It' helped greatly in toliet training too because he normally want's a wee as soon as he wanders out! :twisted:

He loves attention but also likes to get some peace and the cage enable him to have his own space (covered in blankets and toys).

So if like me your thinking that it's cruel - it's not - it's the dogs very own home!

I hope this helps - not sure how it would have worked though if he hadn't been kept in a pen before we got him - would be interesting to find out everyone else's expereinces.

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
hi

i have never had a crate/cage for any of my dogs like you i thought they were cruel and whats the point on having a dog if it cant roam around the house but be locked in a crate/cage...
but i have seen loads of posts on this and i know understand that sometimes the crate/cage can be very usefull
ie; dogs own space ..when you have guests that are a bit scared the dog can be put in for a short while..or if the dog is destructive while you are out it can be put in the cage knowing it can not destroy when you are out..:)

but im afraid im still opposed to these crates/cage my dogs have free rain of the house anywere they want to go they can the only time they get locked away is when my father comes to visit as he is on crutches and i dont want them knocking him over..lol.. and thats in the kitchen but we have a stair gate and no door so they can still see whats going on.
apart from that i also feel safe knowing my dogs have the freedom in our house incase of burglarys(in my old home we got burgaled twice so thats why i insisted on gertting dogs with my hubby) my dogs are first there to take a nice chunk outta the person(they are very freindly towards ppl but not if they come into our home without us being there)..lol..or to warn us of things they think is not right:) again thats my opion

so to me crates/cages can be good BUT i would never use them:)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hi,

Welcome to the forum!

I too was a bit uncertain about crates but after reading many puppy books and taking advice from the vet we decided to 'go for it'!
We had only 2 nights of Paddy howling, but I'm sure that would have been the same even if he was in a room alone, as he wanted company.

Paddy is now 11 weeks old, he now goes in it when he's had enough and we often find him curled up on his comfy bed. The door is always left open and he only gets put in it overnight or when we go out for short periods.

We had heard many horrendous destruction stories and we also know that for short lengths of time, our puppy has time out time for himself and we know our house is ok!

Probably the downside is, he wakes early at 6am so we're up for the day. Maybe if he was next to our bed, we might get a little longer! lol. :D

Would be interested to hear other opinions too?

Kathy

·
Registered
13,082 Posts
I felt the same about a crate as did my other half, thinking they were cruel, even though I had read good things about them. So we just had Corbie in a bed in the kitchen for the first 2 nights (he was 7 weeks old) - after a couple of mornings of finding ovengloves, teatowels and various other items in his bed and poos/wees on the wood floor (even though there was newspaper), we decided to try out the crate that we had been lent. He sleeps in the dining part of the kitchen as it had been extended, but we can't block it off easily, hence the crate, especially for when he's fully grown - he already puts paws on work surfaces!

No sooner had Graeme put the crate up, then Corbie wandered in on his own accord! I put in his fleecy blankets and that night we had no problems whatsoever - not a sound! Half the crate had newspaper in, and some nights he stayed dry and after two weeks he had stopped peeing in it altogether (he was only 9 weeks old at this stage). So I stopped putting newspaper in and put his blankets over the whole of the crate.

I have recently bought him the largest 48" crate (off ebay for £49.44 which included p&p) and he now has his large doggy cushion in it and fleecy blankets and i cover the top with a towel at night so it's more secluded for him! Looks lovely and cosy, and he'll wander in during the day and go to sleep or eat his frozen carrot in there :D

So, I am no longer of the opinion that its cruel, especially as Corbie likes it so much. He'll quite happily go to bed at 10pm and sleep through to 9am no problems since he was about 10 weeks old. I came home yesterday and sneaked in and found him laying in there just listening to the radio :D Maybe when he's older and stops moving things about that he shouldn't we'll get rid of it.

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
Good old ebay! I got mine there. We had our crate from day one, It was great for house training and saved me a fortune in replacing carpets! Ben still uses it now with the door open, he even puts all his toys into it :D The only draw back is it takes up a lot of space (48inch one) but its worth it.The one thing I did do is but one with a metal tray as Ben loves to chew anything plastic! If he is hot he drags all the bedding and toys out and then goes and lays on the cool metal bottom! :lol:

Cristina

G

·
Funnily enough, my husband and I were discussing yesterday how his opinion of crates quickly changed when we got ours.

Before we got Oscar, Tim was dead against having one and said that it was like putting something you are supposed to love into jail. He thought that Oscar would hate being in there and would therefore begin to dislike us for putting him in there.

But I am so glad that I managed to persuade him to try it with Oscar.

From day 1, he absolutely loved being in there. It was known as his 'den' and he would sleep in there, play in there, eat in there, and we always felt that he and our house were safe when he was in there. :)

I think it really helped to toilet train him, which we managed to do in less than 2 weeks, and definately put our minds at rest that he wasn't out destroying anything or getting into a situation where he may get hurt while we asleep at night.

Considering all the stories we heard (and continue to hear) of how a puppy can ruin your house.. I am very proud to report that the one single piece of damage we had to our house when Oscar was little was a chewed curtain. And that was our own fault because we left the bottom of the curtain touching the top of his den one night. :?

Of course, it was not just his den that led to this lack of damage, but an awful lot of hard work on our part, following him round when he was out of it and teaching him that he could play with and chew any of his toys as much as he wanted, but anything that was ours had to be left alone. One of my biggest memories of the first couple of months after we bought Oscar home was not sitting down for longer than a minute and saying 'No' about 200 times a day! :lol:

I would definately recommend anyone who is getting a lab puppy to get a crate.. as long as they use it properly of course!

Sarah

·
Registered
22,083 Posts
My husband has always been against crates and always said if he wanted to see an animal in a cage he would go to the zoo,(quite easy here as chester zoo is 5 mins away)the thought had crossed my mind with dylans behaviour problems,so i asked the vet and was told putting dylan in a cage would make him 10 times worse as we would have to lock him in otherwise there would be no point,then he would get more frustrated and end up worse when he came out,it seems that it has worked for the majority of people but unfortunatley it wouldnt work for everyone and its not fair when people who use a cage say about the people who dont use one that if they would have used the cage the dog would have not been able to do damage,dylan has done an awfull lot of damage,but i can replaced the damaged items i can never replace dylan especially if putting him in a cage had done lasting damage to him.

G

·
Hi Branwen,

I am sorry if you were offended by my post. I was by no means saying that getting a crate for every dog is the best answer. That's what I meant when I said 'if it's used properly'. Of course if when we first got Oscar and began to intoduce him to his 'den', we had noticed that it was having ill affects on him, we would off course have stopped using it.

We were very fortunate that Oscar loved his den and it really helped us when training him and definately protected our stuff from being damaged, but as you say our lovely labs are far more important than any material possessions, so I would never advocate using a crate just to protect your house at the expense of your dogs' physical and mental health.

Again, I am sorry if my post was in any way insensitive to owners in your position - it was not meant that way atall.

Sarah

·
Registered
22,083 Posts
Sarah,i have tried to write this post a couple of times but it seem that everytime i start i sound worse than before,i am sorry if you thought i was getting at you, i was not, i am glad that a cage has worked for 99% of people,but putting dylan in one would have been a huge mistake,so we didnt,we put up (still are )with his behaviour,yes i am ashamed to say he has ruined my house and yes i do get upset when someone says "you should have put him in a cage"as he's uncontrolable etc etc,dylan is getting better everyday but if we had chosen to put him in a cage we know he would have ended up with major damage, so on the advice of the trainer and vet we put up with the little monster,it would not have been a den for dilly it would have been a prison,somewhere where he was pushed into when he was a naughty boy,and that was most of the day and night dylan survived on a few hours sleep a day the rest he was like a maniac from about 5 am till about 10pm,so the dining room became dilly's den,hence all the chewed furniture,he could roam around and cool down there and if we were lucky have a nap,everyone with a cage please accept my apology if i have annoyed you but also please think twice before you say you should have put them in a cage and you would still have your furniture,it's not always practical.Lynne.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I think using crates is a matter of choice, I chose not to as I thought they were cruel. However, since reading all the positive things about them I no longer think this.

As far as the crates preventing damage in the home, I think it's more of a case that your dog is safer in a crate when left alone and cannot chew or eat anything that might be detromental to their health.(such as electric cables etc)Having said that, Buster has caused minimal damage(for a Lab lol). He has chewed a tiny bit of skirting board and wallpaper in the lounge and the odd tea towel/socks etc and that has happened whilst I was in with him :? .

I'm in the fortunate position that I am home all day with Buster. When I do leave him, which to be honest isn't often and then only for a max of 2 hours, he is left in the hall out of harms way. I have a gate to prevent him getting to the front door and cupboard housing the gas/electricity. So far ( touch wood lol) he hasnt done any damage in the hall at all or made any mess. I just wished he was as well behaved in the garden lol :roll:

Kev

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dog Crate

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for replying to my post.

It's really good to see everyone else's opinions.

I agree that it's completely a matter of choice - and nobody should feel bad for using then or not using them.

Thank you all for your replies and I''m sure I'll post loads more stuff - as you all know having a growing lab puppy brings new challenges every day! :lol:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts