Labradors Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

What type of dog brush do you use?

I use a rubber grooming brush on Buster thats strips the hair out, the first time I used it I was amazed at how much hair came off him 8O It has a strap on the back so it's easier to use and Buster can't grab it. I then go over him with a normal bristle brush just to tidy him up.

Kev

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Karen

It's an endless task sometimes,thankfully Buster isn't shedding much at the moment.

Kev

·
Registered
880 Posts
vogue has a rubber zoom groom type rubber brush and a slicker brush which is great for getting out undercoat and she has a fine toothed comb for the tufts on her hind legs and her tail.
Anna

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Hi Kev,

Lovely photo of Buster you have there. :wink:

We use a large massage type brush on Bradley, which does the job perfectly. We also find that regular swimming helps keep down the moulting, followed by a good towel dry and groom.

We bought a 'zoom groom' initially, but for some strange reason he hates it! He tries to grab it.. 8O hence, why we switched over to a normal brush.

Regards,

Julie

·
Registered
12,149 Posts
Hello fello lurkers

The best groomin tool that i have bought for my dogs was a shedder, its a metal shaped oval with jagged edge round both edges and a plastic handle, it works a treat when you have stubborn fur that is taking its time to cast. I think you can buy it from Pets at home stores, but that was'nt the place that I bought mine from.

I t certainly pays to try and get to a champioship show or two just for the shopping for our dogs. :) as the choice of goodies is big.

I do still use a brush, sponge and a chamois leather when I am grooming my dogs

Hope this helps, lol :)

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Hi Kev

I just use a normal bristle brush for Smudgey, but it is a real battle! He keeps turning around and trying to grab it!

On a slightly different note, he loves the hot brush (which sounds like a hairdryer) that I use on my own hair. Wherever he is, he will come running up to me and watch me style my hair as soon as he hears the noise! Perhaps then I should just let him do his own styling?! lol!

All the best,
Nic
X

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi

Thanks for the responses :)

It's interesting to see the differant ways we cope with the shedding

Kev

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Hi kev

I use a rubber grooming brush sadly no strap on the back ...which is followed by a normal bristle brush....

Collette...i've seen the shedder but was told it was for cats..i'm sure the pet store guys are clueless shall go and it soon....

Thanks

·
Registered
16,475 Posts
I use a comb on hershey he lets me do it for about 5 minutes then he turns and tries to bite it plus the little begger likes to attack the bundle of hair I have removed scattering it around everywhere and running with it in his mouth... :lol:

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
I use a shedder it's great for moulting time,I also use the smooth edge to take water of them after they have been for a swim. I also use a zoom groomer and they love that and push each other out the way i never no who i am grooming at least they like it :)

Margaret

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi

I used to use a normal brush on Buster before I got the rubber one and he used to try grab it and jump about.I think I used to brush the same leg 4 times lmao. I can get way with using the bristle brush now cos I only give him a quick flick with it after using the rubber one :lol:

The shedders sound good though.

Kev

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
Hi,

I have a double sided dog brush, one side has metal bristles and the other is a soft brush.

I have to say though that I tend to rubbing Ben all over my fingers to get the hair out, which goes on to the carpet and I just hoover it up. Ben really loves it and it always gets loads of lose hairs out, I prefer to do this than brushing him.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Hi

We bought a new massage brush for Brady today - the puppy brush we had for him seems to have little effect anymore :lol:

Anyway, I had a look at the Shedders when I was at the pet shop - but they looked too scary so I didn't buy one! 8O I guess the dogs probably love the feel of them, but I just thought it seemed really jaggy looking - what a chicken eh!! :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
12,149 Posts
hi all

I had a terrible time when the dogs were shedding, especially my yellow lab called coral, so i WAS quite often when i went to the pet shops or to dog show looking out for anything new, in the form of grooming , quite honestly i just didnt know what was the best things to buy, i got quite an aray of grooming stuff. I think I have found the best thing for when the dogs are shedding and would N O T be with out , and that is the shedder, you have only got to stroke the edge down the body or leg and just see the amount of fur that came out. The first time I used it, I was horrified at just how much came out in just a couple of strokes, so naw when I use this tool I do it outside in the garden, unless you want a snow storm in the house...... :) :eek:

I have looked in my local Pets at Home shop this week and could not find one, I would suggest that you look on any of the pet sites on the web and you should find one.. If anyone has trouble in getting one let me know and I will try and help..... :lol:

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Hi Brighteye

I have got a single sided shedding blade i bought it years ago at SKC. I use the flat side to take water of the dogs after they have been for a swim
and the side with the teeth for their normal grooming it's amazing the hair that it removes,i wouldn't be without it.

Margaret

1 - 17 of 17 Posts