Labradors Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

Just wondering what everyone uses out there for their labs bedding. In the kitchen Brodie has the follow (see links) plastic dog bed, an oval cushion placed in that, and then a blanket thrown over it.

He is 6 months old but I have noticed that when hoovering and cleaning his bed every day the bottom on his bed and oval cauhion is damp, guessing sweat, although he is dry.

Is this too much or normal any ideas?

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/brown-plastic-dog-bed-by-do-not-disturb-14079

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/oval-cushion-by-pets-at-home-31788

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/max-comforter-dog-blanket-57226

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Indi has several beds :oops: Im afraid i spoil her by giving her choice of where she likes to sleep!! She has her crate which has a danish designs doggy duvet cushion in it - she loves this and we have to coax her out of bed in the morning because when she lies in it, it comes up around her and snuggles her in. She also has a single arm chair which has a throw and vet bedding on - our compromise for not allowing her onto our leather sofas. She has a cushion in the corner by the radiator and in the kitchen she has an oval plastic bed with vet bedding in it, she likes to get into this in an evening when Im in there cleaning or cooking. So Indi is rather a spoilt pooch unfortunately and 9 times out of 10 she`ll sleep on the floor next to one of these nice comfy beds or at my feet on the floor next to me on the sofa. :roll:

·
Premium Member
8,702 Posts
So that plastic bed should have come with some little plastic "toggley thingies" that you put in the holes on the underside of the bed and it lifts it up off the floor allowing air to circulate underneath it.

I'm guessing you were missing the feet and if the plastic sits directly on the floor you get damp/condensation in the bed and bedding.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The plastic bed is slightly raised off the ground and at the front you can fit your fingers under it, plus it has vents on the base, so there is air getting in.

The same thing happen if I put a pillow under his throw over blanklet

He also has a big danish desgin pillow for the living room

·
Registered
845 Posts
Ellie has a crate in the kitchen with a canvas covered duvet in it, which only gets used when I leave her alone or if she thinks she's in trouble.
In the lounge we have all the furniture covered so if she wants a fuss she can come up.
In the bedroom she has a faux fur suede oval bed which she sleeps on during the night.

She doesn't have blankets yet but they will come out for the colder weather
her favourite spot is next to my feet with her head on the leather foot cushion

There is also a spare an oval bed like yours in the garage once I can trust her on her own we'll lose the crate and that will take its place.

So she is spoiled a little
:roll:

·
Registered
15,284 Posts
monkeyboy3 said:
Hey,

Just wondering what everyone uses out there for their labs bedding.
Our sofa :lol:

We also have a couple of Zippy beds, but I don't know how they would stand up to a young dog who liked to chew. We had a few beds wrecked when Max was younger.

I have a few bits of vet bed, which I bought when our darling Jasper was poorly and suffering the effects of meds, but they are serving our Collie well now and seem pretty tough. I have also got some really snuggly "duvets" which are basically thick blanket stitched with a little stuffing, which last really well and will go inside the zippy beds, crate, plastic bed etc. or just on the floor on their own for a quick lie-down spot.

Dogs don't sweat the same way as we do - could he be wet from being on a walk or something and that's being absorbed into the bedding?

·
Registered
445 Posts
Tess has a oval fleecy bed she loves and curls up in, Jake had a big flat crash mat type bed with a bit of vet bed on it. Although the last couple of mornings i have got up and found Jake fast asleep on the bed in the spare room :roll:

?

·
0 Posts
-Angela- said:
Our sofa :lol:
Same here.....or our bed if I'm upstairs. :lol:

I do have several dog beds lying around too. A couple of plastic one's with vet bed in, a double duvet in a fleece case, a couple of foam filled dog beds (one in the pup's crate, but as she doesn't use this any more, I'm going to take it down) and a lump of memory foam with a faux suede cover on it (which is in my bedroom), but more often than not, the dogs and cats are on the sofas. 8)

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This could just be condensation then and this on wooden flooring not tiles, he is also not wet and not still wet from his walks

·
Registered
11,547 Posts
That's a bit odd then - I didn't think they sweated like we do either, only through their paws and panting which is why they are in so much danger of overheating in a car on a hot day, hmm, where is his water bowl in relation to the bed do you think he could be havng a drink and then getting in the bed and water dripping from his mouth or vibrasse (whisker things)? They can be quite messy with water...

Have you tried putting a big beach towel over the bed instead of the blanket? Sam likes towels and blankets washed with comfort softener (the only trouble being he likes all things washed in softener and we did find him asleep with Mum's cardigan as a pillow in his bed last week little monkey!)

Sam's a spoilt dog too I'm afraid he has his crate in the hall which has vet bed gold a fleece blanket and a towel in it, his zippy bed in the lounge and that's a waterproof one so there is a blanket in that too, he also has a piece of oval vet bed that goes in the kitchen or in front of the french doors because I have been practising the 'on your mat' for his kc classes but he often chooses to sleep on the tiled floor too. He did have a plastic bed at the other house as well as the above and we had vet bed in the bottom and then a fleece blanket over that. In the car he's got a car seat cover, fleece blanket and pillows! He could get onto the sofas or beds but doesn't choose to except for when he's sitting on top of my dad...! :lol:

How about a little test - take out the cushion thing, fold a couple of bath towels and put them at the bottom of the plastic bed then the fleece over it then move his water bowls away if they're close by and see if the towels still get damp.

Let us know how you get on.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
I think mine are in the spoilt for choice group. Downstairs there is one xl dog bed that can fit 3 of them on it, its just like a huge pillow. We have a large strip of vet bed that runs under the radiator. A smaller pillow bed in the crate for the foster with a blanket.
They also have 2 zippy beds with a blanket each upstairs although Harry would rather just use the floor most of the time :roll:

·
Registered
45,877 Posts
It will be condensation, dogs don`t sweat like we do, thats why they pant when hot, its the only way for them to get rid of excess warmth.

CJ has vet bed in his crate along with a pillow, if he`s not in there he`s on the sofa with me or in the chair :lol:

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
Mine all have the plastic beds with vetbed

Could he be making the bedding wet himself? When my 3 are on my bed Alfie likes to nuzzle my quilt and quite often it is soaking wet

Lorna

·
Registered
417 Posts
stupid question time coming up!!

What is a vet bed?

Sorry!!
M

·
Registered
417 Posts
It's ok I am having a 'stupid day' head in the clouds moment. I followed the pet beds direct link and guess what, Yep I found them.

](*,)

M

A

·
0 Posts
My 2 have 2 tuffie beds pushed together in their room which has a double duvet ontop aswell as a pillow each which is where they sleep at night. Then they both have a nice comfy large bed in the lounge (can't remember the name of them) but they usually end up on the sofa in the evening :D

I use vet bed in my car for them :)

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Max has a crate with Vet bed in but mostly sleeps on poofy in the passage or on a sleeping bag on the floor next to me upstairs. his favorite with out a doubt is the cold floor

Cheryl

1 - 20 of 22 Posts