Labradors Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Second post of the day.

I feel i must ask some other opinions before I do what i feel is right.

Our elderly friend (age 82) who my mother pops in on a couple of times a week was attacked by a "large" dog yesterday. Im not certain of the breed just yet.

This was not a little nip, it savaged her down to her bone on her left arm and dragged her accross the path making a right mess of her. She is not little and frail she is very much a larger person who is still very strong for her age.

She had to be rushed to hospital and then see plastic surgeons to put things right. Another trip to the hospital today to see what the next step is. This poor lady is now understandably terrified of dogs. Her husband is very frail and absolutely beside himself with worry and the fact he was totally helpless at the time.

In all honesty i am fuming about this and would love to pop round and see the owner of the dog myself. I have since found out that it is a friends dog that these people are looking after whilst the owners are away on there hols.

What would you do?? I think im going to call the police. This is something I would rarely do, im not a busy body im a 30 year old guy.

Im getting angry writing this again now, so propably best to sign off.

what would people do?? would you call the police or simply leave the situation alone?.

Once again would appreciate some feedback, you all seem to be very good at giving sensible advice. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Police

it has to be - the dog (whatever breed it was) attacked and bit a person, it needs reporting. Dog warden is also another point of call - the dog may have attacked before and the DW could well be aware of it

whatever happens it does need reporting (and i'm not a busybody either - i'm older than you :p and female), if the dog can do that to a largeish person, imagine what it could do to a child!

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
I would contact the Police too. I couldn't sleep with worry, especially as it could be a child next!!! The poor lady involved must be truly terrified now. I hope she gets better soon.

I think I would seek out your elderly friend's wishes first though, as the Police will no doubt want to interview her for a statement and she might not be too keen. I don't know how you deal with this situation, but this dog must be reported as it may do it again and it could be much worse next time. :(

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im glad its just not me thinking this. This poor lady is scared to leave her house now. The dog is being kept only two doors away at a neighbours.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I would report it immediately. As Melanie says, could be a child next :(

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Absolutely it MUST be reported to the police. But I wouldn't do anything without running it past the person who was attacked first - there may be some underlying issues with the neighbours that she may not want stirred up (for example) so I would check first. But yes, absolutely, inform the police - dangerous dogs are a serious problem - the next person may not get off so "lightly" (not that requiring surgery is light!!)

·
Registered
646 Posts
If you call the police make sure you have some evidence to support your claim that this is in fact the dog that attacked the dear old lady. The Police can't just take action on your word unfortunately.

You get some weird people who wouldn't hesitate to lie about a dog attack if they thought they could get action taken against a dog and its owner.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I thought you would all like to know that the poor old couple are going to contact the police. They are happy to follow this through now they have had time to think about it. After contact today it looks as though she has been ten rounds with Mike Tyson, I think the final straw was having to pay a £60 taxi trip to the hospital which seems will be just one of many.

Thanks so much for your advice, i didnt look at it in certain ways that you all did. Obviously i was worried about the dog attacking again but never even thought that if I reported it that the police would not follow this up 100%.

Another scary part of the story is that it was a small child that was walking the dog. The lady only put her hand down to let the dog sniff her hand first and then BOOM. I know that certain dogs are very protective of small children but this is no exscuse.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
45,877 Posts
Good to hear the couple are going to report it to the police and hope the ladies arm can be sorted without too much discomfort to her.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts