Labradors Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I wonder if anyone can help me with a problem I have encountered recently with my 10 week old male black lab Troy. He has been biting a lot, usually in play which I understand as fairly normal for a dog of his age. I do however want to try and nip this habit of biting in the bud asap and have been trying to disipline Troy by standing above him and giving a firm "No" whenever he becomes a little too agressive. The problem is, he seems to take this as a way to challenge me and barks back, biting even harder. It seems he just cannot take discipline and I actually dread trying to tell him "No" now as it seems to set him off for half an hour of mad antics!! I realise a lot of this is puppy behaviour but I was just wondering if anyone has any ideas on this matter and how better to discipline him!! Thanks :D

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
Welcome to the forums Loz,

Well the other tried and tested means are as follows:-

Yelp like a wounded dog quite loudly when he does bite and ignore him etc

and also try grabbing his muzzle and covering it with your hand so he cant open his mouth and stare into his eyes and say NO in loud stern voice :)

these both worked wanders with Bradley

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Rather than challenging you he probably thinks it’s all part of the same game. Instead of trying to discipline him first try walking away – this way you are letting him know if he gets too rough the game ends, if need be remove yourself from the room.
As labadmin says yelping and walking away can work, but some pups seem to think you’ve turned into a squeaky toy to play with even more.
Fortunately, labs are soft mouthed (I know – hard to believe when they sink those little needles in you!) but it is still important for them to learn bite inhibition. There is some useful information in this link http://www.jersey.net/~mountaindog/berner1/bitestop.htm
HTH
ps love the photos

·
Registered
49 Posts
From my experience ignoring him would be the best thing to do, stop playing with him and take no notice of him at all for 5-10 minutes and he should soon get the message. The important thing is that everyone needs to do this or he'll just get confused

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice, I'm sure once he realises nobody will play with him if he keeps biting he'll quickly get fed up!! :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts