Labradors Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Lab mums & dads,

Our Bradley has a lovely thick coat, and about 6 weeks ago he started shedding it. Hoovering has been a twice daily event, lol - it's like we live with a black hairy gorilla sometimes! :lol: We brush him daily to help with this. He loves a good groom bless him!

Does your lab shed alot of hair?

What are the worst months for you?

Hope you have good hoovers!

Julie

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Hi julie....

Frodo used to shed like crazy i feared of he'd go bald.....The vet said its was normal and again the mumbai heat...But i was advised to give him Yoghurt & Rice... & TRUST ME .... His shedding has drastically reduced....i cud say by 50%..... :D

His lunch is now Yoghurt & Rice & he loves it.... :D i love to see his eargerness to eat his lunch... I literally have to beg & plead to make him eat his Royal Cannin lolz....

wonder if anyone else has had similar exp...

Regards

·
Premium Member
15,605 Posts
Hi Julie,

Harvey has just started shredding, so it's all new to us.

Its everywhere :lol:

Fay :)

·
Registered
13,082 Posts
Corbie's started shedding too, although it doesnt come off in handfuls thank goodness, but the carpet and clothes have a nice brown haze to them :lol:

I've got a new grooming brush for him and have to put his collar on and hold him as he's always tried to play with the brush :lol:

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
karen get 2 brushes thats what i do...one i let frodo chew & nibble and i groom him the other... very simple :wink:

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
Bailey's been showering my carpets, furniture and clothes with fur for the last couple of weeks now.

He tends to only have 2 big malts a year one at each end of the summer - i tend to give him a bath towards the end of a malt to help get the last lot out. He loves his bath and being groomed but i still get a layer over the carpets!!

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
My 2 are shedding like mad at the moment - thank heavens for Dyson hoovers!!! :wink:

Its handy that they swim once a week in the pool as well as this gets rid of loads of fur and they seem to like being groomed when they are wet rather than when they are dry - think its because they are so knackered after swimming that they simply dont care what happens to them!!!! :D

·
Registered
353 Posts
Scooby hasn't really moulted. A few hairs come off on the leather sofa when he has been on there but not much. He spends about half his time outside and the rest on the sofa :lol:

Now, my horses and cats - that's an entirely different kettle of fish!

·
Registered
880 Posts
frodosmom said:
I literally have to beg & plead to make him eat his Royal Cannin lolz....
Do you put warm water with it, let is soak a little and it makes it smell better and has a gravy like effect, the bag reccomends putting water on it too.
Might make it more appatising... Vogue has no quarms about eating it.

Anna

·
Registered
12,149 Posts
Hello fello lurkers

I blame the warmth of the houses that we live in quite honestly, its too warm for the dogs, ....aww bless them :)

Coral has just finished shedding, bless her :) , but with her being yellow in colour it seems I have taken on a cream colored carpet instead of a grey one,... thank me for having a dyson to tackle it.... :)

Ellie, wont be long before she starts I dont think,... :) , took a damp sponge over her yesterday and it was covered in black fur., I think this will be her first major shed, so I dont know what to expect from her, because every dog is different... :)

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Hi Brighteye

I agree with you about the heat having an affect on the amount of hair that the dogs shed.Kassie has almost finished a major mould, but i still have another two to start. I often wish they would all mould at the same time, to allow my dyson a holiday.

Margaret

S

·
0 Posts
Poor Corrie seems to shed all year round, but is shedding even more at the moment but he loves being brushed so that helps.

Out of all the labs I know or have seen I have never known a lab to have such a dense thick coat like Corries. Most labs when they have been swimming can dry off in an hour or two but not Corrie!!

Happy shedding everyone :)

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Everyone,

Thank you for all your responses to this post, it's good to hear about everyone else's lab's and their shedding - it seems Bradley isn't the only hairy boy around!

I have also heard that central heating can contribute to it happening too.

Swimming is great yes, and helps alot i think.

Thanks again, maybe in the future we can negotiate discount with dyson for all labrador owners!! :D :wink:

Bye for now

Julie

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
brandy is shedding at the moment rosze i would say a small bit

the laminate flooring lets every black hair show up wonderfull..lol. or if i have a white t-shirt on after a hug she has left me her fur..lol..

food oh wow we cant seem to eat a meal without findong one of ther hairs in it now we say we cant eat unless we find one..LOL..

·
Registered
7,736 Posts
Hi Julie,

My carpet was rustic pink / brown before Bailey arrived, now it is a hazy beige.

To be fair Tilly had started shedding heavily about a week before, so combined it is like a new fresh covering of snow !

·
Registered
280 Posts
Hi guys

for once i am quite glad my Sashy is moulting at the moment. This means that she will shortly no longer have any bald patches after her operations. She has been suffering with dry skin etc on her bald areas, so poor little monkey can moult moult moult lol!

My Dyson is getting a battering, but hey, what did I buy it for?

Incidentally, Vitapet Moult Formula helps slow the shedding.... :)

·
Registered
452 Posts
Hi everyone

One of our friends recommended Vitapet Moult Formula too. We've tried it with Penny and on a day to day basis it really helps. Apparently it's purpose is to counteract the effects of drying out on their coats caused by central heating and double glazing.

However although she's two Penny's only recently had her first 'real' moult, after her ops early last year she was nearly bald after being shaved. So we experienced the pleasure for the first time a few months ago. Can't say the Moult Formula appeared to have much effect at that time, but as I say on a normal day to day it does seem to help.

Trina

1 - 20 of 26 Posts