Labradors Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Just doing some reading up and research, and wondered if anyone has a Lab that barks alot..?

The only time our Lab Bradley barks is if people approach the motorhome he doesn't know, or he sees something he cannot understand when looking out the window. He normally makes the passer by who wears a bobble hat jump by his 'Bradley trying to be tough' bark! lol.

I've seen some dogs who will bark at absolutely anything though, so i suppose we are very lucky.

I've attached a poll. :wink:

Julie

·
Registered
244 Posts
Only when the doorbell goes, but then they sound like enormous scary beasts for a few seconds. Once the door is open they stop, though. I can't imagine who they think it might have been! :lol:

·
Registered
12,175 Posts
max is a very vocal dog . has been since i got himat 8 wks. he has different levels of bark. he has a fairly quiet playful one, a medium "will you please take notice of me" one, and a very deep throaty one for if he feels threatened or if he's not to sure about some thing or some one. we also have a range of yips, yaps and whines for different things like time to get up mum, wheres my dinner and pleaseeee im busting for a pee.
woofs and wags to all.
jane and max.

·
Registered
669 Posts
George barks in response doorbells and strange sounds outside. Or if he is tired of waiting to be let in/ out. He has a playful bark when he 'talks' to you in response to certain questions. Charlie rarely barks. I think the only occassion I've caught him barking was when saw a dog he didn't like and when he wanted to get into the attic with me and realised he didn't know how to climb a step ladder. And of course when he is separated from his brother.

George used to bark a lot for attention overnight (not the toilet bark or someones out there bark - the attention kind). We overcame this by ignoring him (its very difficult to do that) but it worked.

So all in all, no mine fortunately don't bark a lot.

·
Registered
22,083 Posts
Dylan barks quite a bit if he's outside ,as we have a path behind the house that goes through the woods,the part of the estate i live in was an old hospital which was converted to flats and they built our houses on the estate around the woods if that makes sense,so Dylan can hear the other dogs running around and as he plays with most of them he just wants to join in.He does also bark at the postie and at the kids outside when they play,but thats only because he wants to go out and play but they wont let him now as he bursts all their balls with his sharp teeth.He is very vocal when he wants to be.But to me that is a good thing as i am on my own a lot so i feel safer.

·
Registered
22,083 Posts
Forgot to mention we have never to date had any complaints about him barking but he does not do it excessively(is that the word?)only when he feels he needs to .

·
Registered
193 Posts
Molly very very rarely barks...nothing seems to faze her, the doorbell etc just make her get excited at who else may be coming for her to play with!

She will sometimes have a howl, and a half hearted bark when she's crated and thinks she may be missing out (usually on food!)...but its never sustained!..

I was worried that she may respon dto next doors dog who barks constantly, especially if they go out...(it's quite annoying)...but she hasn't responded to it at all...

actually it's quite sad..we've lived there for 6 months and I have seen them take the dog out once...:(

·
Registered
669 Posts
Poor neighbours dog! No wonder he barks when they leave.

I have a neighbourhood dog that barks constantly too, fortunately mine pay no attention. However some neighbours made a complaint about barking dogs and blamed mine - mine are the only ones you can see because I am the only one who seems to walk my dogs, despite having the biggest garden. So we're easily recognised esp as there are two dogs.

The warden came round while I was out and he said he didn't hear one sound from my dogs. So I know mine are normal. Bark for security and a bit of a chat or attention but also nothing excessive.

·
Registered
22,083 Posts
I really hate that when they can't be bothered to walk their dogs,next door but one to us have 3 dogs and you dont see them from one year to the next,but you can hear them,they have a pub about 15 miles away and someone leaves about 5 30 am probably for the deliveries then they are back and forth all day in the summer the dogs are left in the garden most of the day,i think they rent the flat above the pub out as it would probably be too small for the family,and it worries me that Dylan might start barking in unison with them this summer,that would be unbearable.as 3 doors away again theres 2 chocolate labs that get 10 mins am ,you can set your watch with their excercise, and the same in the evening(no, im not nosy i just live at the end of the cul-de-sac)they are about 3 and have been known to bark a lot in the summer,I am hoping Dylan wont feel the need to join in with them and just carry on and do his own thing in moderation.otherwise i will have to move.Lynne.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Schuey is very quiet, he has a little cry when he wants to get in or wants to play. He doesn't bark at other dogs, we have a German Shepard bitch next door that never shuts up, he doesn't pay any attention to her.

2 or 3 times he has woken up at night and started barking and growling, it only lasted 5 mins max, I think there was a hedge hog or something like that in the garden, we live in the country.

I've never seen him bark at anyone. He did bark at the oil man but I think that was more to protect Aoife (my wife) as she was out in the garden showing him where the oil tank was.

He's very good and very quite.

Cheers,

·
Registered
22,083 Posts
Schuey is still only a baby though,he will probably be a bit noisier when he gets more confident, but saying that Benny was 13 when we lost him and he barely barked at all he was very quiet lad.They all do their own thing and although Dylan barks,he does not do it excessivley.I have had to get up before now in the middle of the night when Dylan has been barking at the patio door only to find it's a hedgepig thats using our garden as a shortcut back to the woods.Sam ,my first lad was very protective of me but i think that its because my husband spent months away on end on flying excercise sometimes so it was mostly only the dog and i at home.Lynne.

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
Does Bailey bark a lot?

Hi,

I have only found this site today and have been on here all day now. It is very interesting, informative and fun too. Having read through many messages and probably learnt a lot, I thought I’d seek some advice...

Bailey is my 19 month old Lab and is great. He's funny, very loving and his personality probably outshines mine at times. He does however have a hang up that is making our walks somewhat distressing albeit on my part.

When he was a pup 19 to 22 weeks he was bitten once a week. The first one (a friends shepherd) was relatively minor, gripped him round the neck but Bailey's cry made the shepherd loosen his grip enough for Bailey to jump back in the car. The second one (another shepherd) gave him a puncture wound in the back of the neck. The third (a Doberman) was the worst. Christmas day, on the beach and he came from nowhere and just attacked him. He lost 2 teeth (adult ones), had an inch gash on the inside of his lip and bled everywhere.

On each of these occasions Bailey was walking on a lead and in no way encouraged this aggression from other dogs, they were completely out of no where and unprovoked which is why i couldn't stop it some how.

Since then, when ever Bailey is on a lead while out walking or in his car harness in the car and he sees a dog he barks at them like a madman. I have tried everything to stop him but to no avail. Not long after the final attack, in the event that I could stop him barking before it took hold I took him to a behaviourist/trainer for one to one and controlled in pack training. This went on for appox 5 months but didn't work. I was then advised, by the trainer, to send him to an in house trainer where he would be with larger numbers of dogs constantly. Not overly impressed with the idea myself but thought I’d give it a go. I ended up pulling him out early when they informed me he had contracted (from them) two highly contagious conditions - Doggy impetigo and stomach infection. It took 10 weeks for Bailey to stop being contagious and in that time he had to stay in the house. As you can imagine that didn't help at all, having no contact with dogs for 10 weeks.

I have managed to ease it a little. If he is off the lead he doesn't bark at all. If I approach the dog so they can say hi, then he doesn't bark - but I can't walk towards or past another dog without him barking.....a lot!!! I have had many nasty remarks past my way which I try not to take to heart but it would be great if anyone can help me with this.

He doesn't have an aggressive bone in his body - he is such a wimp. If a dog plays too hard with him or tries to ride him (why do boys do that to other boys?) he won't warn them off, he stands there and takes it. Other than distance barking, he is not confrontational at all. He doesn't bark at anything else not even the door. He's great with his brothers and sister and children - he even gave my sisters rabbit a nice bath the other day!!

So on completion of this novel...........any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Kaye and Bailey
[/list][/url]

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Hi
Welcome to the Forum. Come on Lablover and John any ideas?
I think this sort of problem is a very difficult situation to over come. Because dogs have not got the short memories that so many people think they have.

I must admit many years ago I had a bitch who was bitten by a Dalmation when I walked into a vets surgery , with her on a lead, and I must say she never really took to any black and white dog after that. But that was many years ago when we did not have the expertise of dealing with situations like the knowledge people have today, so do not give up. Good Luck Meg

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Hi Kaye
Welcome to the forum.
It's always difficult when you can't see what's happening, but it sounds like Bailey is trying to warn the dogs off after his experiences, if that's the case, I would tend to use a clicker. What I'd be aiming for is first getting his attention on me when other dogs are around, so he starts associating a dog coming towards him with him looking at me and getting a treat. Personally, I'd avoid doing it with large numbers of dogs, as this would be overwhelming and only reinforce his fear. It needs to be built up slowly, perhaps inititially find a bench along a path where there are other dogs.
What methods/routines did the trainer / behaviourist use?
If he is off the lead he doesn't bark at all. If I approach the dog so they can say hi, then he doesn't bark - but I can't walk towards or past another dog without him barking.....
Another important aspect is how you react too. He may be picking up on tension from you through the lead. You say he's ok if you approach dogs to say hi, but not if you walk towards them :? Also, is he on or off the lead when you go to say hi? A lot of dogs are fine off lead, but can be worse on lead, because they have no escape.
You say he is fine with his brothers and sisters - do you own them, or meet up? does he have any other doggy friends?
Sorry, if this is somewhat jumbled. I'm a bit rushed off my feet at the moment (due to a family event), but will try to put together something more coherent after the weekend.
:)

·
Registered
44 Posts
hi tilly is 8 months now, and is a very qiet dog, she only barks once if she hears a strange noise. Doesnt bark at the doorbell or someone coming to the house.

We thought it was strange as she isnt territorial at all. The onlt time she barks is if i have closed the door behind me and she cant follow me around the house which she likes to do. Everywhere i go including the loo.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Hi tilly
must agree that my sashy is a very quiet girl too. if she hears noises that she cant explain and/or back up with sight i.e. through a fence or door, then she would bark, and she CAN bark if she wants, but it is a very rare occurance thank god. I hate yappy dogs who bark for nothing.

Where you from Tilly?

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
Hi,

Thanks for your responses, it's much appreciated. I have tried distraction training with him - treats, training discs, covering his eyes and yet nothing has worked as yet. Normally he'll do anything and i mean anything for a sausage but even they won't catch his attention!! He is less gobby the more dogs that are there, the problem seems a more one to one issue. It isn't even only when they are coming towards him, they can be on the other side of the road, behind him, infront - he's not that fussy. He always used to stay in the boot of the car while traveling until he realised he really could fit through that tiny gap onto the back seat - then slink into the front!! I now have to put a car harness on him and since i've done that he now also barks at dogs from the car which he never used to do.

Basically, whenever he is restrained, lead, harness etc he barks unless i walk him to the other dog to say hello. If he's off the lead you don't hear a peek from him! :p

The first trainer was trying to teach obedience and control (he does lack it somewhat) on the basis that if i told him 'no' he should stop, hmmmm didn't really work, although we had loads of fun trying!!!! He was an ex police dog trainer and i didn't agree with all his ideas but the ones i did, i still persevere with now.

The second 'trainer/behaviourist' came very highly recommended. I wasn't sure but as i hadn't had a dog before and he came so highly recommended i did leave him there. I don't know for sure what type of training he had there, all i do know is he lost a just under a quarter of his body weight, was covered in cuts and bruises, was very poorly and flinched if you raised a hand. He was then house bound for 10 weeks on various tablets, at one point on 14 a day.

I was gutted and felt very responsible for his distress and made a concious decision there and then that i would ask advice but would not put him in the care of anyone else to cure this issue.

As i sit and type this, my gobby, self opionated adolecent is lying upside down, spread eagled across the full lenth of the sofa - more than content i would say!!

I try not to get tense while we're out as someone has said that to me already and i have found that using an extending lead helps a bit.

Our family have 4 of 6 of the litter, Bailey, Tilly, Milo and Kobe, have a look at my picture album. He does have a few doggy friends and likes to make new friends too.

Any comments would be gratefully appreciated.

·
Registered
7,736 Posts
Barking

baileybear
Hi Bro !,
Tis Tilly your sister, you still barking at those dogs then? Those horrid dogs that bit you have a lot to answer for!
Hopefully these Lab people can help
But you are still my fav cuddly brother and we need to meet soon for a play.
Love Tilly x
:love7:

·
Registered
13,082 Posts
Corbie was at the back door the other day and did a couple of barks which he never does - so I went to investigate... turns out the wind had blown the watering can across the garden :lol:

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
Ben only barks if somebody knocks on the door or if another dog is not paying him any attention he will give one big bark to be noticed! Normally he does it at the vets when it is really quite, and he makes everyone jump! :oops: :lol:

Cristina

1 - 20 of 29 Posts