Labradors Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
and if so can I ask how old they are?

It's something I've always associated with older dogs but Basil is now doing it after fast running, namely fetch.
He'll play fetch fast and hard for a few runs, then when he's waiting for another his back legs shake like mad. I can stop and give them a good pat but he's happy enough to run off and get the ball, it's the standing still that brings on the twitches. I don't think it's adrenalin shaking and it wouldn't happen just from running on one recall, it's the repeat hard exercise.

I know in humans muscle twitching like that is a sign of a good work out.

Could it be just that he's not warming up (or cooling down) sufficiently.

He has had some muscle tension and spasms on his back still which the physio worked out the other week, but I think or hope this is unconnected.

Hoping there'll be some 'me too' replies as reassurance.

A

·
0 Posts
Alfie runs hard and fast after a ball (although doesn't fetch it back :roll: ) can't say i've noticed his legs shaking though, i will pay more attention next time :) Billy's will but usually through excitement, are you sure its not from him anticipating the item being thrown?

·
Registered
13,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't know he's not an exciteable dog really :?

When Nellie shakes from excitement her whole body slightly quivers while she's sitting and I can see she's just bursting.
I've never seen Basil do this.

He doesn't run so much anymore, more of a canter at best most of the time. But recently with fetch he's had the shakes and last night we were playing piggy in the middle and he was jumping up for the frisbee a lot and when he stopped and stood his bag legs went mad again.

Have you ever caught a nerve and had you leg shake without you doing anything, until you move it and then it's fine?
Or run hard on a tread mill then got off and had a shakey leg? (or am I as odd as my dog? :oops: :lol: )
It's like that, so presumably muscle/nerve related

I'm going to mention it at our next (and I had hoped final :roll: ) physio session.

·
Registered
13,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Chloe. Basils 4 and this has only started recently, never before on fetch and it doesn't happen every time.
I'm really hoping it's just an exertion thing as we stopped all running, fetch etc when he was bad with his back, hopefully it's just because he's out of the swing of things/unfit and it's not bad.

Maybe I'll take the chuckit out tomorrow to see if I can get it to happen a video it.

A

·
0 Posts
sounds like a muscle, nerve thing, does it happen in both back legs?

Might be worth warming him up first and then seeing if it happens?

Alfie's like basil and not very excitable but he will sell his soul for a tennis ball being thrown :lol:

Hope its not related to the other issues and its just a "basil" thing :D

·
Premium Member
3,748 Posts
Hope it is not anything serious Sarah but it does sound nerve/muscle related. Maybe every so often a nerve gets trapped and goes twitchy. I guess it could be to do with his previous problem?

Chloe

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Logie's rear left rear leg sometimes does this too, and I did wonder if it was due to his spinal op.

However, my friend's lab sometimes does it too and she is almost 10 years old and as fit as they come. I am quite sure she has always done it when playing and retrieving although she isn't a particularly exciteable dog either!

I will be interested to see other replies as it has bothered me too. Ben's legs never tremble but then again he never works very hard :)

Eileen

·
Registered
13,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lacey, I *think* it's both together.

Like I say it's something I associate with oldies, often for a period before arthritus shows in the back end :(

·
Premium Member
17,438 Posts
It could be his muscles gaining strength - I can get the shakes when I go beyond my comfort zone (easily done!).

Luna's front legs will shake at times but this is definitely when she is anticipating and excited about being about to run at agility or being about to retrieve something or knowing that treat is about to be put in her mouth!

I'd mention it when you go to the physio so they can reassure you or explain it.

·
Registered
13,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Eileen thanks for you post, I have been googling away and some scarey things aside it does seem to be indicative of a general weakness.

I know Basils had issues with his lower back, the physio has been working on his trigger points and I suppose post injury it stands to reason he should have some weakness in his legs.

·
Registered
13,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It could be his muscles gaining strength - I can get the shakes when I go beyond my comfort zone (easily done!).
Thanks Laura, I'm really hoping it is just this and it would make sense given that he doesn't loon about like a pup so much now, bum tuck runs aside of course :roll:

I might email the physio tbh, as I'm meant to be encouraging him to run and use his full range of muscles now and I wonder if this is a sign of doing good or rest needed :?

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
oohh Sarah, keep us updated, everything crossed that it is a "good" thing and the physio is working.

Paws crossed here and hope to hear soon.

xx

·
Registered
1 Posts
shaking dog legs

At two, my dog Mo started having leg trembling during fetching. It happens in all 4 legs but not necessarily at the same time. I don't see it as a sign of excitability.
Now he is 3, I'm starting to see trembling after a 3 minute walk.
Got any ideas?

·
Premium Member
17,438 Posts
Hi Satchmo.
I'd say your best bet is to track down a good vet physio. Your vet practice should be able to help. They'll want vet to check issue and refer dog to them.
Could be worth videoing trembling to show what is happening.

·
Administrator
20,743 Posts
Amy does sometimes get muscle spasms after doing more than her usual amount of work, but she is well over 11 years old now so I've started restricting the amount of work she does. She still loves to retrieve so I still do some with her, but mix it in with a little gentle stroll.

He'll play fetch fast and hard for a few runs, then when he's waiting for another his back legs shake like mad.
This sounds more like excitement/tension rather than pain induced, shivering/quivering with anticipation. Not really like Amy's because hers does not start until we are home and she's relaxing.

Regards, John

·
Registered
1 Posts
Rear Leg Trembles

Often when my 8 year old Labs come back from their daily run, my female Lab's rear legs will tremble. I have associated it with an overly strenuous workout, as my male Lab is solid muscle and she has some extra pounds. Normally he sets the pace and if he is running too hard for her to keep up he will stop and wait on her, but sometimes he just lets the hammer down and runs off and leaves her. That is when she has trembling legs.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 6 year old gets the same thing. It’s only ever with fetch and I have been attributing it to excitement/adrenaline. She’s in excellent shape, 72 lbs and solid muscle. She shows no sign of pain or weakness and the trembling stops as soon as she gets the ball or we stop and carry on with a walk so I haven’t been too worried (other than worried enough to find this thread lol). Looking forward to hearing what your vet physio says!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts