Labradors Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!
I went to meet with a dog trainer this week and she mentioned that my almost 17kg, 18 week old Lab looked underweight. He just visited the vet a few days earlier & the vet said he looked perfectly healthy. Now I’m conflicted because she told me to up his food intake, but I don’t want to unless I need to. What are your thoughts?

·
Premium Member
9,142 Posts
If he were a show bred lab, I’d say he was pretty much on target. Is he a Dudley? He seems a little lacking in pigmentation.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello!
I went to meet with a dog trainer this week and she mentioned that my almost 17kg, 18 week old Lab looked underweight. He just visited the vet a few days earlier & the vet said he looked perfectly healthy. Now I’m conflicted because she told me to up his food intake, but I don’t want to unless I need to. What are your thoughts?
He does look a bit underweight to me. I like to "see a waist" but not the ribs. I should be able feel the ribs with a slight bit of pressure.

All dogs are individuals with different metabolisms just like humans. He may have a faster metabolism than other dogs his age. Usually bags of puppy food give a range of food per weight or some other measure, if your puppy is at the high end of the activity level, then he should be fed the high end of the range. Increase his food by about 1/4 cup a day for a week or so and see how he does. At 18 weeks, my pups are getting on average 4 cups per day fed three times per day.

·
Registered
1 Posts
your dog looks fine. bet he is very active!
your vet would've said if he under weight.
my lab was about same weight for the same age but he has grown up a little more now and put on weight accordingly.
good luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts