Labradors Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm awaiting delivery of my first batch of joint formula. It contains Glucosamine, Chondroitin and Methyl Sulphonyl Methane (MSM).

Whilst neither have joint problems now, it was recommended to me to help keep their joints heathly as they both do a lot of running and jumping (agility).

·
Premium Member
15,605 Posts
Hi :)

Harvey is 6 months old and my vet has now given him a supplement to take, as he has been limping slightly and we're just had him x-rayed. They seemed fine, but he's given them me to help.

Fay

·
Registered
16,475 Posts
Hi

Hershey is on Corsquin which my vet prescribed due to him snapping his cruciate ligament it has glucoisulphate in as well

·
Registered
7,736 Posts
Hi Jenny,

Thanks for that........will go look...took advice and thought was doing right thing, clearly crap advice ! Thatll stop then ! Other posts here give different products, how do I know which to get?

A couple of months age was shown a site of all completly natural products, covering all aspects of health..........agreed with a lot of points made but not happy with young pups ie: 7 / 12 weeks not being wormed. Or the initial innoculations to set them up.
Your thoughts on this ?

Was great to chat to you the other night too !

Rhoni & Tilly

·
Registered
363 Posts
We gave our poppy flexicose too, obviously had to stop because of her ulcer for the time being but it really does help. My mum uses it for her jack russell who damaged his back badly, the dog is bounding about now. Also my dogs sister who is my mum in laws dog is on it and she has no limp now and then my sister started using it for her 10 year old dog and he recovered greatly from a bad limp he had. Needless to say we started to sell it.

It is better than pills because being a liquid formula it gets to the joints much quicker. It contains glucosamine, chondroitin, aloe vera and loads of other natural stuff thats great for the dog and doesn't affect their liver or kidneys at all.

I also have friends who buy it because of arthritis and people i go to the gym get it from me too, they all swear by it and know if they miss a dose or two.

I even tried it when i damaged my knee at the gym and its right as rain now, it tastes lovely no wonder the dogs like it. It's like a caramel chocolate taste - yum!

Love Hazelx

·
Registered
280 Posts
i found flexicose a little expensive, so I found an alternative, flexijoints available from VETVITS.COM - around £10 for 240 tablets which should last us 4 months or so. They deliver free and are tax free too.

It contains glucosomine, chondroitin and esher oils I believe, and Sashy is doing quite well on it. I also give her 'VITAPET RA FORMULA' which is made up of essential fish oils etc.

·
Registered
353 Posts
antheawad said:
i found flexicose a little expensive, so I found an alternative, flexijoints available from VETVITS.COM - around £10 for 240 tablets which should last us 4 months or so. They deliver free and are tax free too.

It contains glucosomine, chondroitin and esher oils I believe, and Sashy is doing quite well on it. I also give her 'VITAPET RA FORMULA' which is made up of essential fish oils etc.
I was just about to order some of these tablets from VetsVits as they seemed good value. Just wished they did the horse supplements as cheap!

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
we give our dogs a tin of pilchards with there meals only on mondays and fridays though..there coats are so shiny and there joints seem fine we did used to give cod liver oil capsules aswell

sometimes if brandy is a bit stiff we top up her fish with cod liver oil

·
Registered
12,149 Posts
Hello fello lurkers

I am of the opinion if you feed a good proprietry dog food from when you pick your puppy up from the breeder, until well into adulthood you should not have to use supplements for joint problems.. :)

There are plenty of food on the market for sale i.e Iams, Royal canine, , Nutro choice, Eukanuba, Hills, Pro plan. These are the few that I know of that have two ingrediants added called Glucosamine and Chondroitin ...both of these help to make healthier joints in large breed dogs. You can get them for puppies. I would buy large breed formula for labs , but I would also wouldn't recommend to .change them over to the adult formula until the age of 18months.

I at present, have a 5 year old bitch that I have been advised have the signs of arthritis, and may develope hip dysplasia. I was advised to take weight off this dog, which I did within a couple of weeks.

To play safe in her not needing much in the way of vet treatment, I decided to change her food, from Dr Johns--- to a product called Supa dog Senior. I thought when I read the bag , that my bitch was to young, at only 5 years of age to be put onto it. So I asked around for some advice. Much to my suprise, they suggested that they could not see any reason why my bitch should not thrive on it.

She has been fed on it now for nearly a year now and she is doing fine, this product has ingredients for joint and some of the problems that relate to ageing in adog. I am not feeding any supplements and this bitch is not under vet medication at present and I want to keep her that way for as long as possible.. Maybe I have been Lucky in acting at the right time. :)

Bye for now
Colette

·
Registered
100 Posts
clairiscrazy said:
we give our dogs a tin of pilchards with there meals only on mondays and fridays though..there coats are so shiny and there joints seem fine we did used to give cod liver oil capsules aswell

sometimes if brandy is a bit stiff we top up her fish with cod liver oil
My vet charged me some rip off price for codliver and primrose oil tablets when the misses made me take poppy to see him when she was molting and she thaught she might have a skin disease.

Seems it is recommended for continual use in some situations to maintain a shiny coat so i cant image giving reasonable doses to your mutt is going to result in liver failure-

grandma knows best so I reckon the can of pilchards approach is an excellent one as a general preventative measure.

·
Administrator
20,708 Posts
so i cant image giving reasonable doses to your mutt is going to result in liver failure-
Be very careful of giving bad advice Thunderball. An overdose of Cod Liver Oil CAN cause liver damage in both dogs AND IN HUMANS!

John

1 - 20 of 26 Posts