Labradors Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

We have recently started to feed Max Hills Natures Best which is meant to have natural ingredients etc and a friend advised us to feed him a puppy version of 'Yakult', as he has quite a sensitive stomach and is prone to runny poos. We couldn't find anything like this in our local pets at home and the store assistant recommended puppy milk or calcium tablets. We have opted for calcium tablets, as at 12 weeks old we weren't sure how much of the milk would go inside him and how much on the floor. However they are quite expensive but are meant to be good for large breeds. I was just wondering whether anyone else is giving their pup any additional vitamins etc and whether they have seen the benefits?

Also has anyone else tried Hills Natures Best? Our vet recommended it as the next best thing to Royal Canin.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Hi Jendui
I think the store assistant is confused :shock: . Firstly, research has found that calcium supplementation exacerbates hip displasia - current thinking is to feed a diet low in calcium. Puppy milk is for puppies before they are weaned (most are weened by five weeks) certainly not for a twelve week old puppy. I don't mean to be rude, but I have never found a pet shop assistant yet with any real knowledge. I suspect as you mentioned 'yakult' they thought yoghurt/milk/calcium and therefore advised (wrongly and possibly to the detriment of your pup) puppy milk and calcium tablets. I would guess that when your friend advised Yakult it was for its probiotic (sp) qualities - this makes much more sense re runny poos. In that case, any live yoghurt will do (mine get a spoonful of sainsbury's organic live yoghurt from time to time).
I'm not a big fan of Hill's, it's OK, but there are plenty better. The problem is that vets make commission when they sell it, and the they along with Iams/eukanuba sponsor and put on nutrition seminars for vets, hence there is going to be a bias towards their products.
If your pup is doing well on it then fine, if not there are a number of others you can look at (there is another thread on the board). It's always difficult, because pups can eat all sorts of things which can upset them, although if he does have a sensitive stomach, one of the best is Chappie.
HTH :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info... feel a bit stupid now.

I didn't actually ask the store assistant for doggy version of yakult but asked her if it was good idea to give supplements etc and she said yes and gave me tablets.. which were £10 for a small pack.

Visited vet today and she said that it was ok to give him calcium but i'm going to stop anyway as I have done some more research and as recommended it prob not a good idea.

How often do you give your dogs yoghurt? Sounds like a much better option to me. I just want something to help his stomach. He will be going on to Royal Canin skin and digest food as soon as possible as it is not much more expensive than Hills and he needs a diet which is tailored to his needs a bit more.

Thanks again for the info and apologies for the increasingly stupid questions.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Hi
Glad everybody here could help.

Remember the stupid questions are the ones that are not asked, the ones that really need answers.

Ignorance is bliss until it kills.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Hi Jendui
Labdad's beaten me to it :D , but I'd say exacty the same - the only stupid questions are the ones that aren't asked. We all started somewhere and we're all still learning. :)
I give mine a spoonful daily, only because I mix the glucosamine & condroitin supplement in it, otherwise it would be an occasional treat. :D
Opinions on the effectiveness of probiotic are mixed, some say it's beneficial, particularly after a course of antibiotics, others say the digestive juices kill off most of the bacteria anyway.
I'd probably try to find a food that suits him - which can be difficult if he has sensitive digestion. A lot of completes have additives, cereals and fillers which can upset dogs. Just my opinion, but I think naturediet (wet) and burns (dry) are amongst the most natural/additive free on the market, although chappie is very good for sensitive tums.
HTH :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi,
hvae to add that James Well Beloved has worked wonders for our 8 mnth old, although it is more expenisve than the 'normal' dog foods I would rather pay more for the food than for trips to the vets for a sore tummy and runny poo! :lol:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts