Labradors Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone feed their Labs on Dodson & Horrell dog food? If so, how do you (well, the dogs) find it?

Am looking to move our dog off JW mainly because I think it's dam expensive as are a lot of dog foods at the minute. I've heard that working dogs food is just as suitable for non-working dogs, so looking into this.

A friend who has 2 GSP's recommended Dodson & Horrell, said her dogs love it and they are in excellent health. Anyone else have any experience of this brand?

?

·
0 Posts
I fed Chudleys Working Crunch for a while, which is by Dodson and Horrell. I fed it to put some weight back on my Lab after the Agility season last year. It did the job and she looked well on it but it made her a tad "windy" :wink: . That said, I fed it to my Min Poodle too and she was fine with it.

I'm now back to feeding Skinners Field and Trial Duck and Rice (also VAT free) as my dogs do well on this as a maintenence feed.

I've nothing against D&H though. I fed their horse feeds for years.

·
Registered
45,877 Posts
I feed Chudleys to my pair when I forget to get barf from the freezer, both are very happy to eat it :)

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I'm using chudley puppy food for Kim, 29% protein, she doing very well on it, with solid poos. :)

l ordered it online.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Well I will throw my hat into the ring and say that I swear buy Dr Johns dog food which is available from most Mole Brothers and Countrywide stores. Great for labs because it's full of oils and fish. It also has New Zealand Green Lip Mussel extract. My dogs love it.

http://www.gilpa.co.uk/product.php?shopprodid=7

I also use BARF obtained from deer/rabbit/sqiuggles twice weekly. Pilchards also once a day.

PS Dr Johns also contains Frankinsence and Myrrh so if it is good enough for the Baby Jesus it's good enough for Mildred. For some reason it also contains molluscs and crustaceans, so if your dog is of the Jewish or Muslim faith this could be a problem. :?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Chudleys

Millie was weaned on chudleys puppy from a working breeder and now at 13 weeks we have just bought another 15kg bag.Once this is finished in about 1 month I will put her onto the junior chudleys and then select an appropriate adult mix. She is not a working dog but is doing so well on this that I won't change her. I have lost count of the number of people who have told me how fantastically glossy her black coat is and what super condition she is in. More importantly though she just loves it! Bit biased I'm afraid :D

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
I've fed Dodsell and Horrell Chudleys range for over 12 years, and am a great fan. I use working crunch in the main, topping up with performance in the shooting season. Fife, aged 10, has senior.

My dogs all seem to do well on it, and I wouldn't want to change

Katy

·
Premium Member
21,240 Posts
Tobias said:
Well I will throw my hat into the ring and say that I swear buy Dr Johns dog food which is available from most Mole Brothers and Countrywide stores. Great for labs because it's full of oils and fish. It also has New Zealand Green Lip Mussel extract. My dogs love it.

http://www.gilpa.co.uk/product.php?shopprodid=7

I also use BARF obtained from deer/rabbit/sqiuggles twice weekly. Pilchards also once a day.

PS Dr Johns also contains Frankinsence and Myrrh so if it is good enough for the Baby Jesus it's good enough for Mildred. For some reason it also contains molluscs and crustaceans, so if your dog is of the Jewish or Muslim faith this could be a problem. :?
Oh my lord!! that made me laugh :lol: :lol:

Actually I have fed Dr John's and my 2 enjoyed it too.

I have fed different foods over the years, based on how flush I was at the time, we are now on Chappie dried as its inexpensive and Jack and Maia need to shed some weight, but the best food I ever tried was Fromme food, which is imported from the US and distributed by postalpets

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Theo is on the Chudleys Classic mix and has no problems, his poos are good and his coat is looking really nice. He started as a pup on JWB but we found that gave him terrible wind, so moved him onto Arden Grange. At 7 months we were reccommended to reduce the level of protein in his food and chose Chudleys, partly cos it isnt too expensive, we could easily pick it up locally and Theo likes it (although Theo likes anything). When Theo starts working properly it is likely we will also feed a slightly higher protein food again when he is doing a lot.

Goldie as a younger dog was fed Skinners Muesli mix, and was never a working dog. He always thrived on it and also had a wonderful coat. We changed to JWB senior when he was about 11ish? as we think he was finding the skinners too much and as he is a fussy eater could only get him to eat JWB. (He was on something else previously which he really liked but then they hiked the price up to about £40 per big bag, the JWB is cheaper as a 7.5 kg bag will last him a month)

·
Registered
500 Posts
I use there dog food have for ages now, price is brilliant and I know many farmers that use it too, came very highly recommended,I use either Cuds chucks or there own muesli, Mac loves it and he seems very settled on it with a little meat mixed in.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I've never heard of Dodson & Horrell and due to my obsession with dog food ( :oops: :lol: ) had to look into it. Visited their web site but couldn't find a list of ingredients?!?!?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts