Labradors Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as you may know i have 3 dogs now it is impossible for me to take all 3 out at once.. brandy is a nightmare on the lead/harness rosze is quite good she is still learning... charlie is only a small dog so his pulling is not to bad now i can take charlie + brandy and leave rosze or i can take charlie+rosze and leave brandy but i would rather take 1 at a time easier for me (as i have to take the 4 kids along aswell..lol.one is still in the pram)
at weekeneds we go in the car and they all come :) and when summer is here with the lighter nights we will be taking them all the beach when hubby comes home from work aswell.. but for now i take one at a time hubby says its unfair on the other 2 that are left behind but im not so sure as when i come back with one i take the other and so on till they all been for a walk..

what are your opions am i being cruel in walking 1 at a time ???
my point is if one was going to the vet the others wouldnt be coming...

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Hi
I really think the important thing is that you are in control of the dogs especially if you have the children and a pram. You never know if you are going to meet an unfriendly dog at some stage, and you could be in trouble. I know this was not your question, but one of the dogs feeling left out does not really come into the equation.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I have to agree with Meg, to take them out separately (if they are not undercontrol) is the responsible thing to do, cruelty does not come into it.
In fact, it would be more cruel to take them out and risk one of them having an accident/injury because of lack of control than to leave them behind. Besides, dogs do not have the same thought processes we have, they live in the moment.
HTH :)

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
Hi Clair,

I agree with the other and also think it is quite nice you can spend some time with them idividually with some one on one contact and training. In some ways it is better, It would be like you and me being together 24/7 we would need time out and I should think they do too. I'm sure they probably enjoy abit of quality time with you and without the other dogs! :lol: and it will make their walks together at weekends more enjoyable :D

Cristina

·
Registered
353 Posts
Wow Clair, you definitely have your hands full! I wonder - has your husband ever tried taking all the kids and the dogs out at once? I doubt it :lol:

At least if you take them out individually then there will be 2 together at home. I can imagine that it takes you ages to walk them all - the kids must be getting plenty of fresh air.

Have you tried a halti on Brandy? it worked for me, although I just have the one. I don't know if any of your children are big enough to be able to handle Charlie - just a thought.

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
lol..well once he took all 3 out rosze wasnt with us then but tessa was and i was laughing my head off he said it would be easy and they nearly pulled him over,,lol..and that was without the kids..lol..i only take the kids when they are off school otherwise hubby has them as walking the odgs is my escape time from kids..lol.. in all it takes me 3hrs to walk all 3..lol..
but like i say normally they all in the car and off to the beach we go

i dont know what it is with brandy she cant wear the lead on her collar as she chokes so we bought a halti harness (round the body+ legs) to my horror i discovered it was cutting into her so i quickly binned that and recently about 4 weeks ago bought another body harness but larger wider straps and it fits her differently i have more control of her with this but she still pulls like a steam trian..lol. but off the lead she is such a different dog you cant fault her she comes when you call doesnt run off heels whe you tell her we got her when she was about 9-12mths i think.. her owner didnt want her said she followed her round like a dog???duh..lol..
normally she goes in the car with hubby so there is no need to put her on the harness dont get me wrong i have treid to train her to heel but i get so stressed out i give up so its my fault really she is this way..i have treid treats ..walking forward and when she pulss or goes to go ahead i walk backwards..also when she pulls i have stopped walking pulled her back and told her to heel but to no avail:( she is great at the roadside i tell her wait and she does then she sits till i say ok over i praisse her for being good but as soon as we are over the road its back to pulling like crazy she is 6yrs now...
thats why with rosze (7mths) i am not hard on her but when i walk her i make sure she heels as i know she is going to get a lot stronger when she is bigger
as for charlie he only a king charles so hes not to bad..lol.

thx everyone :) ill be sure to show hubby this thread

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
megaloo and lablover :p

the dogs are not agressive infact they are very very over freindly (unless in there own home/garden) they could never get away from me when they are on the lead the only problem i have is brandy as she is strong and pulls so i really need all my attention on her..lol..but i can still pull her back when she is pulling ..

you both say if there *not under control* how can i say this.. i hope this doesnt sound rude as im trying to explain it how i think not under control means..a dog which is not under control to me is a aggresive dog that ignores its owners commands and can easily escape there owner??

or is what brandy does also classed as not under control?? i think im going to have to really work on brandy if she is classed as not under control :(
thx you have given me something to really think about :p

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Hi Clair
No I’m sure they are not aggressive. :) An aggressive dog is just that, displaying aggression, an out of control dog is not necessarily aggressive, it is just out of control.

I don’t think megaloo said they were out of control, it was just me that said if they are not under control.

It was only because you said it was impossible to take them all out together because they pulled and you also have four children to look after including one in a pram that we emphasised control is the most important thing. What would worry me is if something happened that was beyond your control (ie Meg’s suggestion of an unfriendly dog), if you have to give Brandy all of your attention how would you control the other two dogs as well as four other children. Labs are very powerful dogs, what if while she was pulling she managed to pull the pram over? I know they're 'what ifs', but better safe than sorry.
Having four young children and three dogs that pull is a lot for anyone – I only have two who are now teenagers, so young children are a distant memory :shock: :D
Please don’t be offended it was not meant like that.
Just tell hubby that, in spite of the looks they give you, dogs don't have human emotions, and if he wants them all to go out at once he has to come to help too. :D

·
Registered
244 Posts
I'd agree with the others, it really is a great idea to take them out separately and not cruel at all, in fact the opposite. You are giving them quality time one-to-one that they can't have when they're all together. They will have your full attention - it helps the bonding between you and you will find training much easier. I don't know what your dogs are like together, but when Lottie and Ruth are in the park together, Lottie always loses out on playing with the ball because Ruth is so obsessed with it - little things like that which mean that times with just one of them are special because they behave differently.

Whenever I take one of mine out without the other, I leave a stuffed kong for the one at home, and I think it's good practice to get them both used to being alone for periods - partly because in my case Lottie is going away for her guide dog training in July so Ruth will have to get used to not having her around.

Lottie is currently in season and by guide dog rules she isn't allowed out for walks AT ALL during this time. So at the moment I am constantly leaving the house with Ruth and not her, and that is really hard - I suspect more for me than for her though! But she gets plenty of training and fun in the garden instead, for most of which I leave Ruth in the house so Lottie and I can focus on each other. They get the whole of the rest of the time together anyway.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Hi Clair

4 children and 3 dogs ? You deserve a medal! lol

I agree with the others,carry on as you are I'm sure you are doing fine :)

Kev

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Thanks Cristina, that's a useful site. I've ordered some of the remedy that Karen told us about , so hope it works because I want to take Buster to the meet in August - it's not far from us :D

Kev

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Hi Clair
I have just come back on to the Forum. Sorry if you misunderstood my meaning. I think Lablover has kindly answered for me. But I would like to emphasize in no way did I think your dogs were aggressive. But it was possible for you to meet up with a dog that was either aggressive or out of control, and through no fault of yours or your dogs you would be in trouble. You could even have a situation where you might have to defend the children from something, there could be numerous situations, so please do not think I was being rude or offensive towards you, I was only trying to see what could happen. Us grandmas have lived a lot longer than you youngsters, so probably see trouble before it arises!!!! All the best I am sure all the exercise willl keep you fit.

·
Registered
13,082 Posts
Clair - I can just see you walking down the street with that little lot! I agree, keep them separate, as it sounds a lot of hard work all in one go :D I would struggle with my parents' 2 westies - one walks fast the other slow! :lol:

Cristina - Just looked at the link for travel sickness - says about a smooth ride, unfortunately there isn't such a thing where I live, the roads go up and down all over the place! :lol: I drive slowly though when pup is in the car.

Kev - Hope the remedy works well for Buster. It seems to be having a positive effect on Corbie. That, combined with making the journey fun, etc should gradually help - and keep taking him out with something nice at the end of the journey, like a good walk, etc. :D

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
Hi Karen,

I can just see you walking your parents westies :lol: They must be as bad as our roads hear, everytime you hit a pot hole your head hits the car roof! :lol: Normally have a head ache at the end of the journey!
:shock:
Cristina

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
megaloo and lablover :)

no its my misunderstanding and i am very sorry :)

but i fully understand what you mean on the safety aspects of it...and i enjoyed a lovely walk with rosze and the kids today it was her first time walking alongside the pram and i was soo proud of her she didnt tug at all and kept at the side even when we saw a dog uphead she stayed by the side i felt like screaming yeeehhaaaaa..lol..gave her plenty of treats along the way and when we got in gave her a huge hug...lol..

i got a bit of a moan of the hubby when he came home again about taking them out seperatly but i just said well i had all the kids and he knows what brandy is like on the lead and rosze needed to walk and get rid of some of her energy afterall she is only 7mths..lol.

but i think i will keep taking them out seperatly until we can take them the beach every night in the car like i said at the moment all dogs go together at the weekends..

and yes everytime i meet someone as im walking up the street they always laugh and say you got your hands full there..lol..im just glad i dont need to walk the 3 cats aswell..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

again thank you all for your advice seperate walks it will stay with me anyway..lol.. as hubby takes them in car lol..

clair :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts