Labradors Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ask this question because Rueben will not listen to my OH only me! :lol: :lol:

I actually find it quite funny (because my OH was previously a dog owner and I wasn't) but it is driving my OH nuts!!

Rueben will do most things for my OH (paw, sit stay, down, high five) but when it comes to the important stuff (getting him to drop something he shouldn't have or getting him to calm down when he's having a hooly) he will only do it for me!

I feed, train and walk Rueben, plus he spends most of his time with me. If my OH got involved with a bit more of that kind of thing would that change things? I also find that I am incredibly consistent with Rueben whereas OH isn't. Does this make a difference too?

Any insights appreciated!!

Anita & Rueben
xXx

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
i think some dogs are 'one man/woman' dogs - esp dogs like collies.

But in the main i think the person who feeds, walks and trains the dog has the best bond and hence will always get the best response.

Most dogs will also work wonderfully for children!

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Most dogs will also work wonderfully for children!
Now that you mention it, Rueben is fantastic with my 6 year old son too!! That drives my OH extra mad! :lol: :lol:

Anita & Rueben
xXx

·
Registered
552 Posts
Yes,

All my dog's will only do as i say.
Which is quite funny when my mother or such try's and give them a pet. they all pretty much say "Aww go away Im wanting to see Lewis " :lol:

So yes- especially with working dog's they will idolise someone as there master and only do as the master say's :wink:

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
This is the same case in our house. :roll:
Diesel will do anything i ask him to but if OH asks him its a different story :roll:
Within the winter months Diesel will 'warm' to me more as by the time the OH gets back its too dark to take him out properly. In the summer he will start to listen to OH as he takes him out biking and get to 'know' each other again.
Id let your OH get more involved. Let him feed Ruben and train him. Id try doing it together first if you can then take a back seat and leave them to it. :D

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
Totally! Penny will only respond to martyn my OH. She is a one man dog,

Sophie and Millie are fairly chilledand will respond to either of us when they feel like it!

Penny is a law unto herself :)

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
Alfie will do anything for me and especially my 4 year old daughter, we both feed him, walk him and train him. Oh, and the boys well they can try but they don;t get very far with Alfie.

Madison was mine and only mine and she didnlt do a thing anyone else told her....lmao

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Seems like I'm not alone then!

Does drive OH nuts though!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rueben was meant to be my dog though and that's certainly what he's turned out to be!! Yayy!!!!!!!

Anita & Rueben
xXx

·
Premium Member
17,439 Posts
Me and Luna tend to have a language that works for us because we spend so much time together so I find that I have to prompt OH and others with the right command word/language to use to communicate with her.

Saying that my husband has taught Luna an awful lot of command words through playing with her - the more retriever gundoggy related stuff.

Luna is pretty responsive to other people giving her commands which I love to see! Having lived away from family and friends for the past year and now having almost daily contact I am so chuffed that she will sit, wait, down, spin, paw etc etc for other people inc my 3yr old cousin and 80yr old Granny! She has sometimes looked for reassurance from me at which point I either back up the command she's been given with a silent hand signal (!) or explain that she won't spin because there isn't enough room or she won't roll because the floor surface is too slippery! I know my pooch!!! :lol:

·
Registered
674 Posts
Auchencloch said:
Yes,

All my dog's will only do as i say.
Which is quite funny when my mother or such try's and give them a pet. they all pretty much say "Aww go away Im wanting to see Lewis " :lol:

So yes- especially with working dog's they will idolise someone as there master and only do as the master say's :wink:
I agree with Lewis.

Even the dog trainer that Mildred and I went to could not get her to do anything, she had the ask me to get the dog to perform. Non of my family or friends can make Mildred do anything that she doesn't want to do. :lol:

I'm glad that we have such a good relationship.

·
Premium Member
17,439 Posts
So yes- especially with working dog's they will idolise someone as there master and only do as the master say's
Suppose that's the difference between owning a worker and a pet! I need Luna to respond to others so that she can be dog-sat by family in their home when/if needed!!

?

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I also find that I am incredibly consistent with Rueben whereas OH isn't. Does this make a difference too?
That'll be the decider :wink: .

It's exactly the same in my house. The dogs do as I say (with the exception of the Pood, as Poods are Free Thinkers :wink:) because I am consistent, so they understand exactly what it is I want of them, whereas hubby will sometimes do things the way I do and other times use commands that are so random, even I'm not sure what he is asking the dog to do. The one biggest difference I've found though, is with his Timing.....or lack of it, should I say :lol: . He is awfully slow to correct and slow to praise and often praises/corrects in the wrong places.....no wonder the dogs ignore him and look to me for guidance. Also sometimes he lets them get away with things and other times he doesn't, just to confuse them further.

The hardest part of training the dogs has always been training the humans first, although my lads are far better at it, probably because they have grown up with dogs, so understand the principles better.

That said, they all love their Dad and the Pood especially thinks he's wonderful, as he lets her get away with murder. Pood has Dickie wrapped firmly around her little paw and she finds him so much more biddable and easy to train than me. :lol:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts