Labradors Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My other thread about how Shay Ebs and Cooper have different energy levels and can tolerate different levels of exercise and got to thinking are Ebs and Shay in the minority? I really think they would not do say two hours of exercise every day like i know some people do. They would be comatose!! Cooper on the other hand i think could just go on and on and on if i let him.
So what have you got? A whizzy lab or a lazy lab? How much happily can your lab tolerate?

·
Registered
10,815 Posts
Hmmm, Roxy is a bit of a mixture really, she will exercise for as long as you wish to be out, but at her pace. She rarely runs around madly, just trots along sniffing quite happily. In the house she is as laid back as they come, but if you fancied a 4 hour trek, or half an hour amble she will be right there with you :D

·
Registered
607 Posts
I'd def say whizzy, everything is at a fast pase. having said that she knows to relax around the house, however in the garden it's back to whizzy! I'm hoping she'll calm down a little as she gets older but either way i don't mind. I just need to channel that energy a tad more!

?

·
0 Posts
Whizz, whizz, WHIZZEEEEEEE :lol: . Only when we are out though, indoors she is pretty quiet and chilled. Una was the same and so was Oyster, all my girls would happily still be running about after a 2 hour walk, although sometimes Mojo suffers for over doing it the next day, as she has Arthritis in her elbows. She can happily do a whole day out when we are Displaying and that involves several rounds of Agility, as well as wandering round the show grounds with me on and off all day.

As I said on your other thread, I just think whizzy is normal, as all my dogs past and present have been the same.....I don't know what I'd do with a plodder :lol: .

This was taken after a 2 hour off lead run..... Free running in the woods

·
Registered
6,051 Posts
100% Whizzy !! Maggie goes on and on and on and on! She has settled down a lot in the last 6 months or so but would happily chase a ball until she dropped from exhaustion if I let her:roll:

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
_Jules_ said:
Whizz, whizz, WHIZZEEEEEEE :lol: . Only when we are out though, indoors she is pretty quiet and chilled. Una was the same and so was Oyster, all my girls would happily still be running about after a 2 hour walk, although sometimes Mojo suffers for over doing it the next day, as she has Arthritis in her elbows. She can happily do a whole day out when we are Displaying and that involves several rounds of Agility, as well as wandering round the show grounds with me on and off all day.

As I said on your other thread, I just think whizzy is normal, as all my dogs past and present have been the same.....I don't know what I'd do with a plodder :lol: .

This was taken after a 2 hour off lead run..... Free running in the woods
Do you think Ebs and Shay are unhealthy then? They are quite chunky- not fat but Shay is large framed and Ebs is short and dumpy- always has been.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Jay is a very laidback lab at home and when down the farm. She quietly potters about until-------------------------- she picks up a scent then she is on her toes waiting for commands from either OH or me.

?

·
0 Posts
shaydenebony said:
Do you think Ebs and Shay are unhealthy then? They are quite chunky- not fat but Shay is large framed and Ebs is short and dumpy- always has been.
I wouldn't say unhealthy as such, although as I said on your other thread I would be a bit concerned if there was any lameness or stiffness the next day at their age.

How chunky is chunky, are you sure they are not a tad too heavy? My sis has an ex-puppy farm broody and she has a much stockier frame than any of my girls but you can still easily feel her ribs and see her waist. She is a bit of a plodder too and after the initial burst tends to just jog along beside her Mum but she can keep going for hours when out, she snores the house down when we get home though...Bless her.

·
Registered
9,405 Posts
Jana is 100% a whizzy lab :roll: Twix will is 13, so really cant be bothered but will plod around outside but sleeps the rest of the time :)

Macy is a lazy bones and I think Cori is going to be as well, but maybe too early to tell with Cori, we will see :)

·
Registered
15,284 Posts
Whizzy! M-M is not quite a year old so I restrict her exercise but I think she would go for hours if she could. Max has always been whizzy too. He's almost ten and has slowed down a bit but he's not a plodder.

Both of them are fab to live with and they're good at chilling out at home :)

·
Registered
794 Posts
Megs is a mix of both, a lazy bum in the house, can sleep on a washin line ! when shes nodded off shes gone n none of the kids canwake her but outside in the garden or field shes whizzy and she flys after birds and always sniffing and running in n out of bushes and stuff

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I dont think they are overweight, i can feel ribs easily and they do have a slight waist but theyve always been more stocky. Theyve got quite deep chests. Cooper is more lean- hes a completely different shape- leaner and finer. Even his feet are tiny compared to Shays mammoth feet!! Cooper has no pedigree as he originally came off a farm so i assume hes more from working lines.

?

·
0 Posts
Chances are they will never be as energetic as Cooper, as these slim line ones are just built for Whizzing :lol: .

Elsie (my sis's Lab) looks so much clumpier and people think she is fatter than Mojo, yet she only weighs 28kgs (Mojo weighs about 26-27kgs so not much in it). If anything there is probably less fat on Elsie than Mojo but her shape is very deceiving, probably like yours...big barrel chest, thick legs and massive feet and I'm sure this extra Bone Weight must slow them down a bit.

As I said it's hard for me to judge, as I only seem to get Whizzers with Duracells in, although some days having a plodder does have it's attractions. :wink:

·
Registered
13,405 Posts
Basils inbetween most of the time, but can be whizzy if the mood takes him.

He'll walk for hours with me each day and because of that he's rarely whizzy when first let off the lead but does like to have a good run if the mood takes him. He loves a hooli with other labs too.
Most of the time he pootles around though.

I don't think he's a plodder though, unless he's on leash where he's always been more of a dawdler than a puller :roll:

·
Registered
621 Posts
Tia is definately a whizzy lab, in the house she is very laid back, but when she is out in the garden or the woods she would run around for eternity if I let her, she is only nine months though, so she just has two forty min runs a day.

She would definately run around all day if I let her.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Inja is definitely a whizzy one and Tombi is fairly whizzy but I reckon will slow down a bit (she's still only 10 months). Both are skinny ones and part working dogs. They are still on restricted exercise due to their ages, but reckon they will looooove walking for hours on end when they are allowed to. They run continuously on our walks at the moment and would quite happily carry on for a lot longer if we let them.

Both are fairly chilled at home and sleep a lot, although Inja definitely gets itchy feet to get out when it's approaching walkies time, Tombi probably wouldn't be toooo bothered if she missed a walk one day. But I think both really live for their outside time.

:p

·
Super Moderator
15,716 Posts
I have a chunky, lazy laid back lab who couldn't go on for hours. Don't get me wrong he still has whizzy bum tuck moments but is happy to plod along at his own pace.
I'm not sure if this is because of all his joint problems so he has been restricted on walks or if that's how he would have been any way.
It will be interesting to see what Dudley is like as he is going to be another big chunky :lol: :lol:

I'm with the others though, any sign of lameness and I ould be getting them checked

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Whizzy. I tried to tire her out once in the early days when her behaviour was a bit erm , wild. After 5 hours of walking I was knackered so she took pity on me and brought me home!

·
Registered
874 Posts
Very definately whizzy - although to give him his due, he's quite happy to sleep when I'm busy doing something or just sitting.

Liz + Jed

1 - 20 of 32 Posts