Labradors Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
?

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
....or do you change their rations depending on what they are doing/have done that day?

For me, I guess it comes from looking after horses. If the horse has a hard day coming up, it gets extra for it's tea. If it is competing regularly, then it gets a higher energy feed. If it is off work, then it gets a low energy feed, or maybe just hay to keep it ticking over. Yet most folk seem to give their dogs the same amount and type of food daily, regardless of whether it's done a mountain hike or just had a stroll around the block.

I adjust what my girls eat daily. For example, yesterday we only had a short walk (thanks to the weather), so they had smaller rations for their tea. When Mojo was doing a lot of Agility, she was on a higher protein feed and had much larger rations on those days when she was working all day, but then smaller amounts again on the days she had off. When she was on crate rest, she had very small rations of a low fat/low protein food.

Weight maintenance is all about Energy In (Food/calories) and Energy Out. To keep the animal the same weight that needs to balance. So unless the animal expends exactly the same amount of energy per day, it needs the Energy In (Food Rations) adjusted to suit, or else you have to "hope" that you are balancing out their exercise with one hard day to one soft day and feeding somewhere in the middle, which isn't always so easy to judge.

Just my thoughts, anyway. 8)

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
The problem I have is different people feed the dogs because of my different shift patterns. We try to feed them at the same time each day so who's ever home feeds the dogs. If we didn't weigh the food hubby an son would definitely over feed. Son can still mix things up and fed the wrong food to each dog when i went away resulting in Willoughby gaining weight and Merlin looking half starved. We use the same food for both now just different amounts. I'd love to be able to vary the amounts depending on activity levels but daren't over complicate it, I've just got hubby used to weighing stuff. :D

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
I don't weigh their food and adjust their main meals if they have a treat. Also recently noticed that because of my health problems they weren't getting so many walks and were putting weight on I cut down on their treats and main meals. They seem okAy now but just run my hands over their ribs on a regular basis :)

?

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
elsarivka said:
The problem I have is different people feed the dogs because of my different shift patterns.
I know that can be a bit of a nightmare. If it's only for one feed I won't be there for, I make up the feeds, put name labels on them and then all the menfolk have to do is give each dog the right bowl. Of course this all fails miserably when I'm away for a few days. Then I just have to HOPE each dog gets around the right amount and I usually have to cut them right back when I get home, because the menfolk are very generous with their rations :lol: .

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
If we're out and about lots, Cooper usually gets extra treats (liver, chicken, cheese, ham) and a bonio or stuffed kong around lunchtime. I'm the only one feeding him and weight his food morning and night (I need to get a cup that fills the right amount as getting the scales out is just boring). If I'm away I do the same as you Jules and get little baggies ready: Friday AM, Friday PM, etc... And fill the freezer with stuffed kongs that are ready to go :D

At the moment, I'm worried that I'm underfeeding (everything else seems fine, so I need to worry about something!) as Cooper is quite skinny and is scavenging a lot, but the vet is happy with him, and I can't see his ribs which is what I use as reference. :?:

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
We (I) adjust as we go.

I weigh out a weeks dried food in a session, and she always has one of these for breakfast and evening.

I guess it is easier for me to change her quantity because she has 4 smaller meals a day. So lunch and night Kong are what get adjusted, and not only depends on what walks or agility she has done but also her training.

If she is learning something brand new and is being fed something high value then her adjusted meals take a serious hit. Basically she gets adjusted the same as I would do for myself (or should anyway).

Mandy

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I adjust the base amount depending on whether they're looking slim or porky then adjust the daily amount depending on what we're doing (as you say - more exercise needs more fuel!). If we're competing then they also get energy bar at lunchtimes to give them energy without bulk in their tums.

Angela

·
Registered
124 Posts
I'm a geek so I weigh Dante's food with a kitchen scale and there's a nice graph I did so I would know how much he should eat based on his current weight.

I do, however, adjust based on exercise. For example, during these holidays I brought Dante with me to my parents' house and he played like crazy with my Golden. I added about 25% more food to the next meal, but the poop was really tiny to what he usually does so I added 25% to the next meal too.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
When I'm good I do...when I'm bad I don't :roll: The result is that although Alfie is looking good Miss Dolly is a lard arse and I've now reduced her food. Goodness how she got to be a porky pants as she's a whirling dervish...but there you go!

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i do alter according to their activity levels. Both boys get the hungry sicks so if they have a busy day and get fed the same as a shorter walk day, they will both end up feeling ikky so i up food on those days :) If i'm out or away then i put their food into containers labelled with when/who to feed... then if they have a busy day they can have sardines/raw bone/cottage cheese etc added. Although when i'm away the dogs always end up being fed more which isn't a bad thing as i'd prefer they got fed more than not enough and it's usually only a day or 2 :) I wish i could be so strict about my own diet :lol: :oops:

·
Premium Member
6,609 Posts
If I'm measuring out I try to give her less when she's not doing much and I'm also trying to make sure that she is only getting about 200g per day (in 2 meals). But it is surprising how much difference you can get in a measuring cup. The 100g mark is about an inch down the cup but other members of my family seem to think that the cup should be heaped as high as possible - possibly another 30-40g more for each meal?

Coco gets more treats on flyball and agility training days so she doesn't really need more food but if we go to a flyball competition she often gets a banana mid day.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Willow has dedicated labelled pots "breakfast" and "dinner" when she was younger she also had lunch and tea pots. she also has one labelled "todays treats"

we have so many people that "pop" in I know she would get over fed if I didnt measure it all out and label it!

She generally has the same ammount, but if I know she is having an active day I add a bit more and if I know she is likely to have done very little I take some out.

When my parents had her over night once I labelled up sandwich bags with her meals in and when we go away on our honeymoon I will do the same for the week she is at the home boarders but will up the meals slightly as I know she wl be hoolying round with 3 other dogs non stop!

Willow currently has a fast metabolism, we joke we could feed her the whole bag of dog food and she wouldnt gain a pound!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts