Labradors Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don;t ever remember coming across with Madison suppose it was a long time agao..lol

Took Alfie out tonite for his 20 mins walk, he wasn;t out this morning. Anyway its getting dark earlyish 8.30 and i walked him out to the main road where i have taken him since he was a pup in arms.

He was a bit all over the place, and then a car went by and he went beserk at it..trying to run to catch it and barking a porper bark.... 8O Everytime he did it i corrected back to heel and told him leave it...wa that right?
Continued to walk and every car that went by he did the same thing.. He pratically ran me home and was very skittish.
DO you think its just the dark and everything looking different? Or is he got an issue...lol
Would rather nip it in the bud now as our walks have been nothing but pleasant since he starte getting out.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Bloomin eck - how he's grown!

Can't offer advice Donna - sorry. Hope someone with experience there comes along soon x

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
If I remember correctly Donna at 16 weeks he is right in the middle of the 'fear' faze where they are suddenly nervous of everything, sounds to me like you handled it OK.

Also it could just be the fact he is unused to the car head lights.

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
Sounds like he was spooked. I'd take him out just before it starts getting dark and maybe find a bench to sit on near a road, and just sit and watch the cars go by as it gets dark, giving him a wee tasty treat each time he watches you and doesn't bark at the cars.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Finn was scared to death of cars in the dark for a while. being a summer pup he didn't meet them much until he was about 6-7 months old.

I did similar to what more suggested. I found a bench near the well lit pub car park and sat with him as cars went through the village. He is much much better now but buses still make him jump

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah he's 16 weeks now, there is a wee bench right at the main road so i can take him there, i sat there with him for weeks when he was tiny so he got used to the traffic.
I make sure i have some tatsy treats in pocket and i'll take him over tonite just before it gets ark and we'll have a seat and watch the world go by.

thanks everyone.x

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Hi Donna,

To be it sounds like hes spooked...but i do think your doing the right thing! Winston been acting strange about the rain this week! so im hoping its just a change and hes spooked too!

Im sure he will get use to it!! But i do think your doing the right thing... i know i would do that with Winnie if he was acting like that!

By the way Alfie is just so cute and has grown soooo much!!

·
Premium Member
3,748 Posts
Are there any threads on developmental phases and approximate ages that dogs go through as I seem to find myself saying "it's just a phase she is going through " without actually having anything to base this theory on. Our current one seems to be barking at things on the tv and spooky sounds outside!!!

Chloe

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
rubyrubyruby said:
Are there any threads on developmental phases and approximate ages that dogs go through as I seem to find myself saying "it's just a phase she is going through " without actually having anything to base this theory on. Our current one seems to be barking at things on the tv and spooky sounds outside!!!

Chloe
oh that would a good idea Chloe...then at least you could check what phase are coming up next.. :D

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok a few days since i posted this...

This is not just a prob at nite time, took him out at 11.30 to pick up my daughter from school.. He went beserk at every car that passed us. Now this isn;t new roads i'm alking him on, this is the road i wakle with him in my arms, he did the daily nursery run with mein my arms.

His all over the place on his leash..its like he's forgotten everything i've taught him.

Please someone send me back that chilled out wee boy that i brought home.. :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts