Labradors Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,
I was hoping for your opinions?
I was brought up with dogs, however this is my first family dog. I have children of 4 and 6 and I was initially thinking about a puppy, however mow I feel a rescue dog may be a better option? A few people have said to me that they would not home a rescue dog with children, however, I have had other people tell me that some dogs would be absolutely fine as long as the history is known.
What do you think?
Thanks
H

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
YES :D

Seriously, a good rescue will NOT rehome a dog to a family household unless that dog has been brought up in such an environment and proven to be 100% :wink:

The benefit to you of course is that you know you'll be getting a dog that loves a family environment; one that's house trained (oh joy!) and that lovely warm feeling that you've helped a dog in need, amongst many other good reasons :wink:

Whereabouts in the UK are you? we could throw some suggestions of Rescues your way :)

·
Registered
15,284 Posts
I agree, go to a good rescue and they will ensure the dog is suited to living with children.

Oldies Club does foster and rehome dogs with families with children, including young children, when the dog has previously lived happily with children - and our dogs are assessed in a foster home before being adopted.

You will find some rescues won't rehome a dog to a home where children are under 5 for example, but others will consider each dog and potential home individually, that's how Oldies Club works. We take dogs aged 7 upwards so some are more "middle aged" than old :)

My dogs are rescue. I don't have children (yet) but of the dogs I have adopted, two lived with very young children before they were rehomed and one was adopted as a young puppy and adores children (even the ones that try to kick her in the head :evil:).

Good luck, take your time to look for the right dog - and thank you for thinking of rescue :flower:

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
My brother has three children ages, 11, 7 & 4 and has a beautiful black labrador aged 5, which was a rescue. He is just a lovely dog. :) They knew his history and he was ideal. Used to children. My youngest nephew runs his toy cars across his back and everything. The dog just doesn't bat an eyelid. I am sure as others have said any good rescue will only cater for your needs and give you the appropriate dog. Good luck.

I think it is wonderful to give a rescue a home. So many need it.

Keep us posted. :)

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
I totally agree with the otheres so wont repeat them.

We got a rescue, Diesel. Hes been a joy to have around and we love him to bits. We dont know if he had ever lived with children before as he was rehomed 4 times before we got him. He has been brilliant with my 2 nephews ages 2 and 4. :D He spends all day licking them! :roll: :lol:

Again thank you for thinking of a rescue. There are lots of people here that work in rescue centers and im sure they will be happy to help you with your search.

Good luck

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Yes, Lincoln is a rescue, we knew nothing about his background..and he has proved to be the most gentle non aggressive soft lump with everyone..however if I had young children I would have definately wanted to know a bit more about him., if you particualrly want a Labrador there are plenty of Labrador rescue organisations, but all good rescue orgs. would be vetting for the home that the dog is going to, and all the family should meet the dog too...

In a nutshell a Rescue is a great idea..just do your research and ask lots of questions :) :)

·
Registered
13,264 Posts
Definatley get a rescue .....................there are some fantastic family dogs out there waiting for a lovely home :wink:

I helped re-home a lovely boy who had come from a family with young children ...................sadly there are alot of woofs now needing new homes due to family break ups and the financial climate :(

·
Registered
7,572 Posts
Yes, a rescue dog is a good idea. The picture below is of my rescued dogs. My original puppy, Jazz, is on the left. They have all been wonderful dogs, each with her own character.

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
I'd say go for it. I've never had a rescue and have had all of my three from pups, however, knowing what I know now I wouldn't hesitate to have a rescue, and I fully plan to at some point in the future.

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Go for it; Dont be put off by the whole "not a good idea if you have kids,"

Our Rosie is a rescue; we knew very little of her history. We don't have children, but she's a bouncy, exuberant bundle, and when my nephews (3 and 1) initially met her I was dead anxious and asked my brother and sister-in-law to carry the children in so we could guage Rosie's reaction. She was fine; but none of us were prepared for the three year old to march over, pull her ears, and wrench her ball out of her mouth the first chance he got. It was astonishing; she behaved as if he was made of glass.

I have a great video of it, Isaac giving her the ball, taking it back, giving it to her taking it back, with Joseph climbing all over her.

Just be sensible; don't allow the children to bother the dog constantly and make them understand that the dog has to have it's "own place". My family had rescue dogs when I was growing up and the rules were, if the dogs on it's bed - you leave it alone, and if the dogs eating - you leave it alone.

Good luck; I'm sure you'll end up with a bueatiful dog.

Whats more; I believe they know. I believe they know "I'm lucky to be here; I'm going to be loved now." They appreciate a family and a good home.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I'd like to endorse what everyone else has said.

Sadie is a rescue German Shepherd and some close family were aghast at the thought of adopting such a dog. She's brilliant; such a kind and loving dog and though I don't have kids myself, she's great with kids of all ages from 4 to teenagers in the family.

I don't think I'd ever buy a pup now and will go for rescues in the future.

Patrick

ps Just to balance a little :wink: my mum rehomed a beautiful spaniel who, the rescue claimed was housetrained, she wasn't! Every day mum and dad got up to such an awful mess. Looking back, she probably had a food allergy and as she was a grown dog both the previous owner and the rescue must have known but forgot to mention it.

Good luck!

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Patrick - "family were aghast" - :roll: I know what thats like :roll:
We told my father & step-mum by showing them a bueatiful photo of Rosie with her daft ears and they still reacted with complete contempt. "You're mad, what do you want a dog for, haven't you got enough responsibility and mess already?" (We have three cats.)
I know when we tell them we're thinking about, or have decided to get "Number Two" they'll be even worse. It drives me up the wall!

·
Premium Member
21,240 Posts
Rescue is a great route to get your dog, you know what size you are getting, character, temperament, most genetic illnesses such as HD often show themselves by the time the dog is a couple of years old and not only that, there is very little in the way of house training.

Some dogs come very well trained, others have had no formal training whatsoever.

When we homecheck potential homes we ask many questions so that we can match dogs to families and vice versa, its so vital to get this right.

I would echo what the others have said, do your homework, be open minded when it comes to age, colour or sex and I am sure there is a dog out there just waiting to come home to you

·
Registered
234 Posts
Agree with everything every one else has said. My kids are 4 and 12. We got Jake as a rescue at the beginning of May, he is just over 3 now. Our rescue are keen to have the right dog in the right home - we were expecting to have quite a wait but in the end it all happened very quickly! He is settled in so well, great with the kids and can't imagine him not being there now.

·
Registered
10,508 Posts
If I were looking for another dog now I would certainly be giving rescue serious consideration, so I would say go for it. :D

Patrick and Jane, I too have been on the receiving end of family disapproval of my pets, with remarks such as "your mad" and "they are such a tie, you'll never be able to go away again". :roll:

These days, if I am going to do something I know they will find odd I just present them with a fait accompli. Then I only have the "oh right, I see" and raised eyebrows to contend with. Not that they bother much now. They just accept that by their standards I am nuts and are not surprised at anything I come out with next. :lol:

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
We have both a rescue dog & 2 children :D

My children are 5 & 3 years old......and we have had our rescue dog for a week today, Bonnie, who is approx 4 years old :D :D

We knew that Bonnie had lived with a child of 5 years old before she was given to the dogs home (she was given for a few reasons, one being that she was pregnant)

I took the children into the rescue to meet Bonnie quite a few times before we brought her home.....my son ran around the off-lead area like a loon and Bonnie didn't bat an eyelid :lol:

We have a 2 year old lab too, Bailey, who we have had from a pup

I can only tell you how we have found it, and it has just been wonderful.....Bonnie is such a darling and when she came to me for her first snuggles I knew we had made the right decision :D :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks everyone for your lovely replies.
We decided to go ahead and had a lovely lady visit us from Labrador Rescue so hopefully (if we pass the assesment) we may finally have a dog of our own!!
We are all so excited and she really reassured us that they would not home a dog where there was any doubt of his temprament around children. We have spoken to the kids about how they must behave around the dog, but bottom line is, I won't leave them alone for a second together so I can guage reactions etc.
SO once again, thank you all so much for your help, and once we (hopefully) get our dog, I will post some pics up and no doubt be asking for advice again.
Thanks
H

1 - 20 of 25 Posts