Labradors Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had to take Ozzy to the vets yesterday afternoon as he has been lifting his back right paw up off the ground for the last day or so.

My Vet, a lovely man, pushed, prodded, pulled his foot and leg all over the place and all through the examination Oz maintained the same loveable expression. Our vet kept saying "come on Ozzy you can tell me where it hurts" all to no avail.

Similarly he cut his leg a couple of months ago and the only reason I knew he was hurt was because there was blood on the floor.

He has the fantastic lab temprament, and is the most loving boy, I was just wondering if his tolerance for pain is just something he does or is it the same in all labs.

·
Registered
7,736 Posts
Hi Vicki,

When Tilly strined a thigh ligament, a few months back, playing catch the parrot, she never cried, whimpered or anything.

The only way I knew there was something wrong was that she wouldn't get up for her tea. Up to that point I thought she was just lying, resting. When she did try to stand, she fell over.

Even then while trying to assess problem / get to vet, after surgery hours naturally ! , and be prodded at vets the most she did was turn her head to where it clearly hurt...no more.

This is one hell of a rufty tufty breed eh?

·
Registered
421 Posts
Barney has had a thorn in his paw so he couldn't walk properly until I got it out, a few weeks ago his back legs seemed to give way (although he had a miraculous recovery when he got to the vets!), he has had the most terrible shits, and all those times, including when he had just had his jacobs removed, he still wagged his tail as if nothing was wrong.

Pain doesn't seem to be in thair vocabulary!

John

Shakespeare My Butt!
Jacobs story on line now

·
Registered
7,736 Posts
LOL John,

Amazing innit? I wonder if they just don't feel the pain as we would expect them too or just hard resilient gits ?

·
Premium Member
8,834 Posts
Coco tried to eat a birthday cake compete with about 40 lit candles. Not a peep, just smacking of chops as she licked cream off. Now I can see it must have hurt like crazy as her poor whiskers are stunted and the skin gets quite dry. I feel guilty as hell for not giving her first aid at the time. :oops:

·
Registered
16,475 Posts
When Hershey Snapped His Cruciate Ligament he did one yelp and that was it the leg was held up but no more crying or ehimpering took him to the vet the pulled and prodded him still no signs of pain, even after his operation he still tried to run around like a looney

·
Registered
353 Posts
When Scooby got kicked in the head by my horse, there was an almighty yelp and he came over to me but then a couple of minutes later you wouldn't have known it had happened.

At the vets he was so excitable and trying to jump up at everyone!

If I hadn't have been there then I don't think I would have known that he had been kicked. His face was a bit swollen but not that noticeable.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Hi all

When Smudge got a thorn in his pad, he didn't cry, he just came up to Chris and held up his paw for him to remove it. Then he crooked his head to the side in that cute way.

A couple of weeks ago, he must of trod on something in the garden that made him limp for that evening (was thankfully back to normal the next morning) but again he didn't cry/whimper, just kept wandering around and holding his paw up for us, as if to say "this is where it hurts". The little cutie!

All the best,
Nic
X

·
Registered
77 Posts
When Homer had to have both his shoulders done because of OCD he tried to jump up and lick us each time (despite bandages). Also, he was 'snipped' at the same time as having second shoulder done - my Dad pulled a few sympathetic/unbelieving faces as Homer attempted to welcome me back from uni/scratch/wag and lick all at the same time - without seemingly feeling anything!
Jodie

·
Registered
452 Posts
Same here. In the lead up to and in the recovery from her operations, Penny was the only one who thought there was nothing wrong with her. I think it's great in one way, but it worries in another, because they could be in a lot of pain/discomfort and you wouldn't know until it got unbearable.

Trina

·
Registered
7,556 Posts
When Shadow had snapped his ligament in his hip he was still walking about with a 'clicking' noise - this turned out to be his hip dislocating and re-locating and not a whine from our little trooper!!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Guinness out four year old black lab had a bit of a set too one Saturday afternoon with our very hormonal Bernese Mountain dog puppy. She had done some serous damage to him and we didn't even know until we noticed a pool of blood at his feet that he was even hurt ( we'd been out so hadn't been there to hear the fight.)

He went to the vets and was sedated and stitchjed up he had nine stitches. Not so bad we hear you say after all he was knocked out...... well the following week, hubby turned his back on them as he was in a day dream as usual and Guinness decided it was pay back time ( he still had his stitches in), but Dottie got the better of him. Again huge gash in his side loads of blood, me in total panic. We cleaned it all out and I couldn't stop it bleeding. So back to the vets we go..... they decided that they don't want to stitch it so they took him out the back and shot 10 staples into it. No anesthetic or anything. When I went to pay the bill the nurse said that she had never see such a calm dog, he hadn't made a sound when they stapled him, in fact he made no fuss at all.

I'd have passed out if that had been me... So I think Guinness has the pain threshold of an elephant!

Tracey

1 - 12 of 12 Posts