Labradors Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mother gave me a home-made Dundee cake for Christmas. We left it wrapped in foil on a very high work surface. I still can't really understand how he got it; he must have been pogo jumping.

I fed Django at 7.00 pm and popped out for an hour and a half. On my return there was half a Dundee cake surrounded with its foil neatly rolled off in the middle of the kitchen floor.

I remembered the post about Willow before Christmas and her eating the freshly made Christmas cake so I rang our vet, took DJ in and he had the injection to make him sick. Vet thinks he will be OK and they showed DJ and me a photo of the masticated cake on a dog nappy (yuk!)

Thank you so much for that thread Claire. If I hadn't read it DJ might be dead by now instead of lying by our bed looking sorry for himself.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Oh, I do hope he will be fine, Miriam. Poppy ate a whole Christmas cake just before Christmas (again, by pogo-ing). Unfortunately although I caught her within 20 minutes of eating the cake and given emetics quickly by the vet (and seemed to sick everything up), that wasn't the end of the sorry tale. The next day her digestive system appeared to shut down and she sort of blew up, with a very taut, fat tummy. The vet advised an emergency pump out under general anaesthetic. 7 hours later (on Christmas Eve...) she came round and is sort of better now but, after a slow kidney recovery, now needs liver tabs for a whole month. So you are really advised to keep an eye on him.

C

·
0 Posts
I hope he is ok and I am glad that Willow eating things she shouldn't may have helped others!

Keep us updated with his recovery, I hope that Poppy makes a full recovery too.

They like to keep us on our toes these labs

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh gosh, what a shame for Poppy, I really hope she continues to improve. Actually it just shows that this is a very serious matter. When I rang the vet for advice I assumed that they would just tell me to keep an eye on him. But I had to bring him straight in. The vet (lovely woman, so kind to him) said there are reports of big dogs dying after eating only one or two raisins because of liver failure.

I am really cross with myself for even having fruit cake around at all.

We will have Django under careful surveillance because we love him. On the plus side, she weighed him and he has lost 3 kilos! He had put a bit too much fat on when recuperating from elbow surgery last year and now he's lost it and is a fine figure of a boy. Over Christmas various relatives were saying he now looks handsome and slim, not porky ass they had rudely said before, but OH and I couldn't see any difference! They were right though.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A little update. Django seems right as rain. Hungry for his breakfast and I gave him all Nature Diet (he normally gets a mix with JWB kibble) since I thought his throat might be sore and we went for our usual walk. He's a bit more tired than usual, he was happy enough to get back to the car, but I'm convinced he hasn't suffered any after effect.

OH was very good and very worried re DJ. He told him he loved him! This from the man who told me when we met that he thought people who liked animals just liked making creatures dependent on them!

Django has done his job well and I am sure we will never be without animal friends.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts