Labradors Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, we bought a padded halti for Bisto, having thought that the gentle leader for her is a bit uncomfortable, but I've noticed that she licks her lips a lot, moves her head up quickly and tries to get it off. we don't use it very often (when she pulls too much or when there are a lot of dogs around) and admittedly it's a little bit big for her, but she seems in quite a lot of distress when she wears it, it didn't seem so bad when she wore the gentle leader. has anyone experienced this, will she get used to it?

thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Hello :D

You say the halti seems a bit big for Bisto - it is worth while taking some time to ensure it does fit properly and is adjusted so that it is not rubbing her eyes.

If it is too big, I would recommend taking it back to the petshop, taking Bisto with you and asking a member of staff to help you fit one to her.

After that, a period of acclimatisation at home will really help. Pop her halti on for a few seconds to start with, whilst she has some treats from your hand, or a chew. Don't leave her with it on and take it off straight away afterwards.

Build up to a few minutes wearing it, always associated with something she really likes. You can even pop it on, feed her her dinner and then take it off afterwards.

Some dogs are just not keen on the feeling of something around their face, but do check inside also that there is not a bit of stitching that is rubbing on her lip or anything like that.

Hope this helps, and as an aside, try not to just rely on gadgets to help Bisto to walk nicely with you, keep up the training and positive reinforcement for walking on a loose lead, it is much more effective in the long run :D

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that! she knows exactly how to walk perfectly on the lead, she just pulls when she is excited, or when there are too many dogs around. I can't hold her when she pulls - she's too strong and especially at the moment as I have a fractured collarbone!

I will go back to the petshop and change her halti, it's a padded one and I do think it's not quite the right size for her, but the smaller on looks a bit too small! she seems fine-ish with the gentle leader, it just rubs her nose and gives her dandruff, so I wanted something that didn't rub her!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts