Labradors Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Obviously a vet visit will confirm, but as for now I am grounded due to being recently out of hospital I am housebound. But I have noticed that on my rescue yellow lab Sky, she has a very discoloured canine tooth. The gum around it looks fine, in fact everything looks fine except for the colour of this tooth. Now I would hate to think this lovely lass is living with mega tooth ache so she needs to be seen very soon, but has anyone got experience of this in their dogs?

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Jemima broke one of her canine teeth when she was about one year old. It did discolour and the vet said she would need the tooth out eventually but leave it while it wasn't causing distress.
She had it out when I noticed her rubbing her mouth a lot

·
Premium Member
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that Skys tooth isn't broken as far as I can see, but she dosnt seem in pain, but will get her checked out anyway just in case she may be stoic.

·
Administrator
20,482 Posts
Is it brown tartar? This is just a scrub, though if left too long can result in gum disease.

But sometimes a tooth can die and turn a horrible grey colour. Usually this is the result of a knock. There is nothing that can be done, if it starts to cause trouble then it will have to come out. So with that in mind, providing the gums stay healthy I see no good reason to pull it out before it starts giving trouble. Some never do cause a problem so why put a dog through an extraction for nothing?

Regards, John

1 - 4 of 4 Posts