Labradors Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you already know Daisys breeders have not been at all supportive or communicative since she came home.
I have had a few issues that I have needed a little advice with and thank goodness a few of my old LF friends have been there to help and support.
I am upset because the breeders seemed such lovely people. I texted and emailed updates and pictures and no response. I think its sad :(

·
Premium Member
5,464 Posts
It's such a shame to be let down by someone you trusted enough to buy a puppy from :(

·
Premium Member
1,598 Posts
Sorry to hear you feel this way, is it possible at all they're just a bit busy to respond right now? :(

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tarimoor said:
Sorry to hear you feel this way, is it possible at all they're just a bit busy to respond right now? :(
Well they haven't responded in the whole 6 weeks she has been here . I have tried texting and emailing and no response at all :(

?

·
0 Posts
What a shame. I guess you just can't really tell what people are like, until you need help from them.

I had much the same from Mojo's breeders. They were all nice as pie whilst I was giving them happy updates, but the moment I mentioned ED, I never heard from them again :? .

Oh well, it's their loss in the long run, as you won't bother telling them all about how wonderful Daisy is and all about her achievements as she grows up, just as I haven't bothered telling Mojo's breeders about hers.

·
Premium Member
1,598 Posts
claireliz said:
Well they haven't responded in the whole 6 weeks she has been here . I have tried texting and emailing and no response at all :(
I just like to think the best of people before finding out different. I know I am sometimes really busy and don't always respond to emails straight away, but six weeks is quite a long time :(

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Jules. Seems Mojo and Daisy have a couple of things in common :)
Just a shame isn't it to think they don't care what happened to their pups.

?

·
0 Posts
claireliz said:
Just a shame isn't it to think they don't care what happened to their pups.
I think some breeders are able to just detach themselves from their pups once they have left home. Even when I was puppy walking it was the same. One breeder I still hear from and she was very supportive, the other didn't want to know.

I guess to some it's just a job. They do their best while the puppies are with them, but once their "product" is moved on, they don't feel they're anything to do with them anymore. :(

·
Premium Member
3,748 Posts
I think it can work both ways though!

I keep in touch with Bella's breeder, who is slow responding but does in the end, but I and another owner are the only ones she hears from out of 7!

I do think that some breeders who have multiple litters a year just don't have the time to keep in contact with all their puppies. I also think they don't have the attachment that breeders who only have 1 or 2 litters a year but I could be wrong!

I always think it is a shame that breeders aren't interested in the puppies they have bred but at the same time can understand that if an owner contacts you every 5 mins about something their pup is doing it would get quite irritating after a while!

A good balance of being there to offer support to the owners but recognising the point at which the owners need to find out things for themselves is the sign of a good breeder IMO !

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Daisys mum had only two litters in her lifetime and they don't breed often . I think it was the big 'oh we are so pleased you are having Daisy and that she is going to a good home and you must keep in touch' speech from the breeder that has annoyed me mostly as they have just not got the time of day.
They also failed to tell me one of the litter pups had died at 6 weeks and pretended he was upstairs when I visited. It wasn't until I picked her up and asked outright if he had died that they told me yes he had to be PTS.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Really sad that they're not interested in Daisy at all.
I understand that everyone is busy but not to care at all is horrible to me.
Barney's breeder is like that - she asked me to email her pictures and updates but when I called her that he's limping she just cut us off :(
I'm in touch with Shelby's breeders about once a month - sometimes it takes them 2-3 days to respond but that's ok, I don't expect them to reply instantly.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
That is a real shame and I can imagine how it has made you feel.

We are very lucky with Minnie's breeder she is sooooooo lovely and very helpful. She is on facebook so can keep in touch easily but we go back for visits and Min holidays with her too. I know she has my back if any crisis occurred.

I think not telling you about a pup being pts is pretty hard one as they wouldn't want you to fear for your pup.

As you say you have all the lovely people on here to share your adventures and worries.

Mandy

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Sorry to hear Daisy's breeder isn't that supportive. I kept in touch with both Kaisers and Incas breeders but came to realise Kaisers breeder was a backyard breeder and ended up ending contact. Inca's kept in touch and responded to my emails but the last two emails I sent she didn't reply to and contact between us came to a stop.

The breeder will be the one that misses out on seeing how Daisy grows and all the beautiful pictures of her. :wink:

·
Registered
478 Posts
It is sad that the breeder hasn't kept in touch in such a short space of time. Hopefully the breeder is really busy right now and will get back to you.

Saffys breeder is on Facebook, so we keep in touch on there. She regularly comments on photos I upload or statuses about the dogs, and we keep talking about meeting up as she also kept a pup from the litter. One of her kids has been ill so we've not yet got round to it, but she is really interested in Saffy and if I haven't put anything on Facebook for a couple of weeks she does send me a message to check we're all doing well.

Humphrey's breeder is a little hit & miss. When we took him we got in contact with the breeder and she was a lovely lady. We met her along with Humphreys parents, aunt and grandma. He had a little cough his first few days with us which I took him to the vet for and she did keep in close contact to check he was doing well and recovering because she was worried about him. I've since sent her an update when he recovered from his cough fully and then about a month ago to update on how he was progressing and what a joy he is along with some pics, but didn't receive a response either time. Whereas the first few days I reckon we exchanged 3-4 phone calls and at least 30 text messages.

My plan with Humphrey's breeder is to update again after his 6 month check (which is next week, even though he won't quite be 6 months) and then if I get no response I'll try again on his first birthday. If no response again I'll just send an annual update and leave it at that. I like to think she does still care about how the puppies are doing and because she does breed a couple of litters a year from her two bitches (1 litter each) and because her litter with Humphrey had 14 pups and the litter from the other bitch had 10 pups (I'm not sure about last years litters) plus she's added a 3rd bitch, she gets that many updates she just has a read, smiles about how well they're doing and leaves it at that. I think if I were to call her with any questions or worries she'd be happy to help if needed. :)

Hopefully Daisy's breeder will be in touch soon, even if it's just a quick one liner about how lovely she is and that she's glad all is well :)

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Max was from a one time only breeder & never heard a peep since!

Teds breeder is on Facebook so will hopefully stay in touch that way

Luckily I've not had to ask for help from either

1 - 16 of 16 Posts