Labradors Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it looks like im going to have to get Winnie done earlier than planned!
Now when ever he see a girl Lab out on our walk hes trys it on!! :(
Most owners dont mind but its getting to be a bit of a pain! Winston is also very good at re call but he starting not to come back if a female is around!!! :(
Do you think nearly 7 months is too young!! I do, i wanted to wait a year but now im guessing i cant!
Also if i had him done... that would mean i would have to wait his weight more?
Will he ever 'Lift' his leg for toilet?
Will he lose his puppy crazyness?
O dear loads of questions to think about!!

·
Registered
332 Posts
Hi,

I'm not sure about the pros and cons of castrating earlier than a year. However Ben was castrated at about 1yr old and he still lifts his leg, and still has his puppy crazyness at times. Bearing in mind he's now 6yrs old and on 3 legs I can confirm that even with castration these instincts have remained despite age and obstacles! :) And in terms of weight - I monitor both their weights carefully to protect their joints - I've never considered it to be more of an issue due to castration. When Ben was castrated he didn't seem to notice, the only thing that bothered him was the shaving rash - bless! :)

Ruby

·
Registered
445 Posts
Eddie was done at 8 and half months, but he was a rather 'large boy' as the vet put it!! He is still bonkers puppy at times (he's now 13mths), cocks his leg (too far sometimes - can topple if not concentrating!!). Can't say if it has definatley curbed his behaviour but we're glad to have it done with and out of the way for health reasons more than anything. He never even bloomin' flinched after the op either - bounded out of the vets, never bothered the stitches and never once gave us dirty, knowing looks!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts