Labradors Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello long time no talk hope everone is well Dillon is six months now and his love of the furniture is getting out of hand puppy class trainer recommended the "op" at 9 months, is this a general feeling to stop damage to dogs maturing or is it possible before. would welcome any advice :p

·
Registered
286 Posts
When to snip is an on-going debate.
Here in the U.S. any dog that is being rehomed is altered before going to its for ever home. Over here on this side of the pond, stray dogs are a growing hazard, and altering keeps the population down sort of, as it seems a lot of people want their dog to have puppies the population continues to grow and the over population is such a problem that hundreds of thousands are destroyed each year. But I digress.

IF you have a puppy, you could get him snipped sooner than later. BUT as Lablover has pointed out, if you can grit your teeth long enough for him to mature a bit he may be better off. Best thing to do is read up on the subject and make an informed decision.

HTH

·
Registered
22,083 Posts
Hi, personally I think Dillon is too young, i dont think they have got their personality at that age,Ben was only done for health reasons.Dylan has not been castrated and we dont feel the need to unless there is a valid reason to do so.my vet did mention it , but only as a last resort as Dylan is so hyper most of the time he does not do himself any favours,he did give him an injection to stimulate his behaviour if he was castrated and it did quieten him down for a week or two, it did nothin for his exuberance but it did stop him being so sexy with everything and everybody.But the vet said his change in behaviour was not enough to justify spending a lot of money on castration

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
This is something that Chris and I have been arguing about! I always assumed that we would get Smudge castrated at some point but Chris doesn't see the need. I think he is a bit nervous about it because their family (female) doggie did not take well to her operation and was quite poorly afterwards.

Smudge is already quite amorous (a little embarassing when your friend pops round with her 8 year old son and he is curious to know what Smudge is doing with his teddy!) so I'm not really sure what we should do.

Our vet told us that we needed to wait until he had 'something to work on' (very blunt is our vet!) but I don't think that we need to worry for a little while yet. A year to 18 months would sound about right to me, but I think that Chris and I may argue over this for a little while longer yet!

All the best,
Nicola.

·
Registered
22,083 Posts
Hi Nicola,you are very lucky if smudge only gets amorous with a teddy,Dyl will use anything he can get his body on,he has ripped up countless matresses as he gets very very excited, in fact when i had workmen in they asked me if they could have whatever he was on as there would be a few smiles after the disco that night.He is an embarrasment when he's out in the garden rolling about with the washing he has stolen.But we love him anyway and things can only get better.Lynne.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Hi all

This debate has come up again in our house as Smudge is getting, well, let's just say, very 'excited' at the moment! He has been getting a little bit agressive and bitey as well prior to his little 'sessions' with teddy or the side of the sofa!

Our main worry is how he will be immediately after the operation. Does anyone have any advice as to how much time off one should take with him? I understand that all dogs are different but I was just after a general idea. Our family dog (rescue) had already been done when we got him but I remember when we had to take our kitten for the op and when we got him home he was most disorientated and shivered by the fire all evening (it was July!).

If we do decide to get Smudge neutered, I would obviously like him to be as comfortable as possible post-op.

All the best,
Nicola.

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
Hi,

We have the same problems as you Nicola, Ben gets very amorours with his teddy too. We asked our vet about having him neutered and he said they can not do i untill they are at least 6mths old we would have to put up with him being "sexy" :lol: When we asked again when he was 6mths old he refused to do it as Ben has ocd in his front right leg and neutering him would probably make him put on weight which we don't want. If your going to get it done then maybe wait untill he has finished growing. I know Ben will be done (hopefully)but not untill he is 2yrs old. My friend had lots of problems with her dog that was unneuted as he kept jumping fences and running off on walks to get to the female dogs at any given oppotunity 8O . The recovery time is quite quick I think. HTH

Cristina

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
hi

i think you should wait till dylan is fully matured 1yr 18mths :)

as for the recovery its not long at all 2 days it took charlie.. we got charlie 5yrs ago as rescue dog i very badly beatin matted poor looking soul he was :cry: (king charles spaniel) i know hes a different breed but all males are the same when it comes to there *excitment*. :lol: after we got him washed and unmatted and let him settle in we found he was"nt *done* as he seemed to like any moving leg or like everyone else the kids toys..lol..so off to the vets we got him done :) but 5yrs down the line im afraid when my lab brandy comes into season charlie seems to get his spring in his step back :? or if he play fights with the labs again he gets excited..lol..but as my hubby says at least hes firing blanks..lol..

we are thinking about getting rosze spayed after her first season but again were not sure yet ..brandy has not been spayed sometimes i think all dogs male/female should be doctored if they not going to be bred from that way we wouldnt have so many dogs in our garden or stray dogs roaming round the streets.

oh yeah forgot to mention after charlie was done his temperament calmed down loads :) he was a bit aggressive before hand but we put that down to his beatings of his old so called owner but when i mention it to my vet he said most males seem to calm down after the op :)

G

·
Hiya,

Oscar was castrated a couple of months ago, so would have been between 10 and 11 months. We read up a lot on the best time to do it (our vet refused to do it until he was at least 9 months), and because there are so many conflicting opinions out there we decided to ask our vet (who is also a family friend and has 2 black labs himself) when he would do it and went with that.

Our main problem was that for the last couple of months before he was done, he had an uncontrolable urge to follow bitches scent whatever that meant.

So on walks he pulled and pulled and pulled and nothing we could say or do would make him even acknowledge we were even talking to him. It was head down, nose to the ground, even if we were walking on a road where no bitches had been for ages! And if we ever met a bitch on a walk, he would practically pull my husbands arm out of the socket to get to them and then for the rest of that day (and sometimes the next day too) he would be uncontrollable at home, desperate to get out and go and find her again!

Off the lead he was even worse, and would run and run if he got the whiff of anything, sometimes completely out of view and we began to fear that he would get lost or follow the scent to a road or something 8O :(

When he went in for his operation, we were truly amazed at how quickly he got over it. The night we picked him up, he was obviously still quite drugged up and just wanted to sleep. He did look very pathetic all drowsy and with the little bald patch on his front leg where they had to give him his drip.. aww :oops:

But by lunchtime the next day, you would never have known anything had happened to him. He was wide awake and just like our normal Oscar again. The hardest thing was that we had to be really careful that he didn't run for 10 days after the op, in case he split his stitches.
So we had to keep an eye on him when he was in the garden and only take him on lead walks until the stitches were removed.

Since his operation he has been far more respondent on walks. He still pulls a bit when he smells something that interests him (but now 9 times out of 10 this is food not girlies!) but he listens to us again and is not in 'must find girl dog - can't think about anything else' mode! :) He also is far happier to walk on with us after meeting a dog and hasn't run off recently atall.

The vets said that any change would not be instant as it takes a while for it all to finish being in his system, but 2 months on, he is defiantely a calmer dog and much more of a companion - he is interested in us again :D

The one thing we are really pleased about too is that his other bits of his personality haven't changed atall. He still definately has spirit, and is still as playful as ever, but just without the uncontrollable urge to go and find a bitch.

Following advice from the vet, we have cut his food down since the op and as a result, he hasn't got fatter.

HTH

Sarah

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Hi all

As always, you have been so helpful! I never thought about this affecting his walks - he seems to permanently have his nose down - could this be all to do with you know what? He is only just over 6 months old. I'm reassured about the recovery time too, though we would take a few days just to make sure that he is ok and keep a close eye on him.

Now I'm not sure when to get it done! You all have very valid reasons for either getting it done sooner rather than later or waiting until he is a bit older. I guess I will just have to see how things go and keep an eye on him - perhaps ask my vet soon too? It seems even the vets have differing opinions on this! Perhaps it depends on the individual dogs?

Once again, thank you so much - I don't know what I would do without you guys - you're grrreeeeaaaaattttt!

All the best,
Nicola.

G

·
Hi Nicola,

Just in response to your question about nose to the floor while walking.

Oscar still does this a lot of the time while walking sniffing out food (he is a labrador after all! :lol: ) but now it's not an obsessive 'got to find a girl dog' thing.

You can say his name and he looks up at you.. before we could have exploded at the other end of the lead when he had a bitches scent and he wouldn't even have noticed :lol:

Sarah x

·
Registered
17 Posts
Our little choccie lab is 6 1/2 months and is getting neutered next week. Hei s very hyper especially around the "ladies" which is a bit of a problem when we are out walking where there are lots of other dogs around. He is in traning classes at the minute and whilst he is doing brilliantly and getting on really well he is the only male in the class and gets distracted easy. (He spends a lot of time dribbling.........)!!!

Our vet said 6 months is a good age as he will get over it quick and easy (hopefully), especially as he a very healthy little pup. We were told the next day is the most important day to watch him etc but me and my partner both have the week off to help him recover. I don't think there is any right age - as each dog is different and so are the circumstances.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
dILLON AND WHETHER TO CASTRATE

HI ALL,

DILLON IS SLACKING OFF ON HIS AMOROUS ACTIONS THOUGH STILL HAS THE ODD MOMENT WHEN HE DRAGS HIS BED IN THE GARDEN TO DO THAT FUNNY DANCE AS MY DAUGHTER PUTS IT! i WAS VERY IMPRESSED THIS WEEK HE CAME BACK STRAIGHT AWAY THIS WEEK AFTER RUNNING TO GREET A BITCH THAT HAD JUST BEEN IN SEASON SO i THINK I WILL GRIN AND BEAR IT UNTIL HE IS 18 MONTHS NOW

ALSO AS A MATTER AS MOTHERS PRIDE HE HAS BEEN COCKING HIS LEG FOR ABOUT A MONTH NOW :lol:

·
Registered
19 Posts
helloooo!!!

as i come crashing in on this very interesting discussion!!!!

My Max is almost 8 mths and I've written alot about our story on the 7mth black male jumping biting discussion.

I'm from the Wirral but I live in France. The vets here all smirk a little at my suggestion of castration saying 'you anglosaxons' are very in favour of it, n'est-ce pas?!! They seem pretty inclined here to leave the young chaps as Nature intended. One could argue Nauture didn't really count on Man creating breeds of dogs and making pets out of them.......

Max does do the 'funny dance' with his quilt ( it has to be said not often at all ) Reading what other male Labs get up to I'm starting to thnk maybe I'm lucky, or more likely it's all coming my way!! He does nose-down-sniff-pull on walks but I'm starting to get over that one with a Halti lead. I do have the unconfortable feeling he's not quite in full swing,yet, though. I am a total dog rookie and I wondered if the fact he still doesn't cock his leg means he's still not sexually mature?

I shall keep on reading up and watching my young monsieur's behaviour!!

minx & max

1 - 16 of 16 Posts