Labradors Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No great reason behind posting this but thought it may be of information and interest to some.

To the stud dogs over the years come a variety of girls all ovulating at different times of their season. But the vast majority between days 11 and 15 or a combination of those days.

But just to show, much as its sometimes mentioned, how much that can vary. Shiney was mated day 15 and produced 11 puppies early this year. She is now in season again (and is not remotely subtle about it - grin - she is a blood up the walls kind of a girl!) and here we are at day 15 and not so much as sniff from the boys in her direction. So the absolute earliest from that reaction you could expect her to ovulate would be day 18, maybe 19 or 20... (not that shes being mated of course though...)

Yet I still get that stubborn handful of people who insist days 11 and 13 or 10 and 12 must be right ;-) Mostly because all their previous litters came from matings those days. So seeing a number of new people writing lately about to mate their girls, expect the unexpected ;-) Don't be fooled into booking the day off work on day 12 ;-) It may well be a wasted day.

And is another good reason why, if you don't have a male around to tell you about your girl, and your stud dog is a fair way off (or the owners wouldn't stand for you going there day after day 'incase'), to use a premate test. As even if you carefully recorded when she ovulated the season/litter before, it may be DAYS different this time.

Just to warn to keep an open mind. I know Sue's bitch Hally ovulates day 8. We have had a day 21 bitch this year (and yes, lots of day 12's - but less than you would think) ;-)

Good luck!
Di

·
Registered
224 Posts
Good points here, Di! There are still people around, who insist on mating their bitches during certain, fixed dates. It is useless trying to explain them that their bitch is NOT having her best days yet, look at the male, he is NOT so interested. They just keep on saying: "She has always had these days". The result is often either no puppies or just one, as the timing has often been too early.

I have been there, too. We did take the blood test to measure the amount of progesterone in the bitch's blood, but the timing was too early. We waited over a week-end and thought to save money by not taking another test on her. We thought she would ovulate somewhere around the same days she used to do before. So off we go. She had had two previous litters and was mated approximately during her 15th day in heat both times. But this time the dog didn't really want to mate, but he kind of agreed anyway. We thought it was because he was very inexperienced at the time, but we should've trusted his nose better.

The result became a nightmare. The bitch was scanned empty, but continued showing signs of pregnancy. A second scan showed there MIGHT be one puppy. We took even a third scan to be on a safer side and it showed two puppies. An x-ray a week before she was due confirmed two puppies. Her labour was a nightmare, she didn't really progress and we had to turn to the vet. She was injected with oxitocine (don't know about the spelling) and gave birth to one dead and one live puppy, who also died three weeks later having catched some kind of superbacteria from God knows where.

The result: no puppies, our timing of mating was far too early. The lesson: always take the progesterone test and take it as many times as it is needed to catch the ovulation day.

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well just to show! Had I been mating Shiney this time round, just as a little follow up, I'd have mated her Tuesday or yesterday - So Days 20 and 21! ;-) takes all sorts and its so important to remember that when you think about mating your bitch ;-) Not ONLY can they vary from the 'norm' but they can also vary from season to season!

Di

·
Registered
452 Posts
learnt the lesson of day 11 onwards was a just not the case years ago
but people who bring bitches to you tell you she is bang on its day 11 and out comes your dog and just isnt interested tell them to come back when she is ready and they think you are mad.
we have had bitches including one of my own who werent ready until day 16 .
trying to get people to get the bitches tested at the vets before they bring them is another one we have probs with until you explain how little it costs compared to the waste of time and fuel comming to you for no result

1 - 4 of 4 Posts