Labradors Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My two Ebony and Shayden are now around 14mnths old and have always struggled with too much exercise. They tire quite quickly- i dont know why but they are more stocky than Cooper so ive always assumed that its just the way they are. Problem is Coopers quite a lean and lighter build and lets just say he doesn't walk....he bounces!! Weve been walking them all together and i think hes encouraging the other two to rush about more than they should. In theory they should be able to take more exercise than Cooper as hes only 8mnths old but they are definitely getting more worn out and Ebony was limping on her front leg last night. So i know im going to have to walk separately most of the time but does this mean they cant ever go out together or is it just a case of waiting until Cooper calms down enough so that he doesn't encourage them to over exercise themselves?? Or do i just have to accept that they have different exercise requirements?

·
Registered
9,405 Posts
Difficult one as we have the same problem so they are walked twos, Jana is offlead to burn off some energy and Twix donders along, with only a small time off lead, Macy was running around too much after Jana but does not have the speed to match her, so we were worried that Macy would hurt herself.

Macy is walked with Cori, they are very suited speed wise, but Cori is carried part of the way and on lead a lot more that Macy

It works for us, why not try Shayden and Ebony together, then Cooper with Pippa on lead :?

Hope you get it worked out :)

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats what the plan is for now i think (exept Pippa dont go on lead because shes so slow and just walks by my side staring up at me the whole time LOL!!!). But do you think this will have to be a permanent thing? Id like to be able to sometimes take them all together as they look like they are having so much fun.

?

·
0 Posts
Well if you are going to wait until Cooper calms down you could be in for a LONG wait. Mojo is coming up for 5 and still runs around at 100mph for however long I take her out for, whether that is 30 mins or 3 hours.....and the Pood could out run most dogs as she has Duracells inside.

I must say I would be a bit concerned if I had a 14 month old that got tired quickly but then I've always had 100mph type dogs, so maybe that's just what I'm used to. I would keep an eye on any lameness though....rest her up for a few days but if she is still lame after exercise after that, then I'd be taking her to the vets for further investigations.

·
Registered
9,405 Posts
I dont think it is permanent, for us at the moment it is because of the youngest two but it will change as and when Cooper is a bit older, he will calm down :D

If the two of us go out with the dogs, we do take all 4 but Macy and Cori are left on lead (or carried in Cori's case for some of the wy), then when we get to a grassy area all 4 are let off, by this time Jana is a bit tired so not quite so wanting to bounce about and Macy can keep up, for a little while and then on the way back Jana is off lead and the other 3 are on.

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
If I were you I would do one walk all three can manage happily, say, in the morning, then an additional one with whizzy pants in the afternoon of an extra 20 mins to half hour or so.

Di

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Perhaps using the word tire wasnt quite the right description. I mean they dont stop or anything but theyve never been the type to just bomb around at high speed constantly- gradually they start slowing down as they get a bit tired. Cooper on the other hand....well lets just say i havent witnessed him tired on a walk yet!!!

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Diana said:
If I were you I would do one walk all three can manage happily, say, in the morning, then an additional one with whizzy pants in the afternoon of an extra 20 mins to half hour or so.

Di
OOOh that would work thanks!!! I dont actually want Cooper to calm down its great that he can take more exercise because me and OH have lots of lovely long walks planned- and i mean day out walks. In the future obviously when hes older. Im not sure Ebony and Shayden can take it tbh. They would do it happily but probably wont be able to move for days after.
Im going to take them out all together in the mornings and then Cooper can have a quick bomb around as extra later in the afternoon. See how it goes!!

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Do Ebony and Shayden have actually problems with their health or joints? As young labs really should be able to cope with a couple of hours walk without limping and so on. Not saying they won't be flaked afterwards but they plod on.

Remember some dogs just trot along happily stopping to sniff now and then, even as youngsters. SOME roar about madly whirling and dirling and making the others look like plods!

Its just the way they are. Doesn't mean the others are any more tired. Or coping or enjoying it less well than the 'running fool'....

Di

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ive always wondered if Ebonys got joint problems- just a feeling i have but i think Shayden is just more ploddy. He will run for a bit at first but then just plods about with little occasional "jogs" imbetween.
They would be fine with a couple of hours walk on lead but not rushing around off lead. Ebonys limping on her front leg slightly today i think because there was a "crashing" lab incident a few times and it seems to have started after that. Its not that bad this morning though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts