Labradors Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Rolo has to go on a diet, he needs to loose 7kg to help his hips, the vet wants him very lean.

He is on pedigree chum dry food at the mo but this is very rich, i have a date with a nutritionist at the end of sept, but can anyone recomend anything?

Also BARF food is something new to me, ive been reading up on here, is it better for our labs? would it help Rolo on a diet as he can be quite picky with his food, but meat! he'd love it!

·
Premium Member
17,439 Posts
Can't help with the BARF stuff. Luna loves the Salmon proplan dry food and is maintaining a good weight on it. She usually gets a spoonful of wet food in it to increase the stink as I reach the non-smelly end of the packet!

You probably will anyway if wanting him to lose weight but if you lessen his exercise in any way due to HD diagnosis, do lessen the amount you feed him as it kept Luna's weight good and lowered her energy levels when she had to rest for 2 months.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
in terms of dried food - skinners, JWB, Arden grange, Chudleys etc are all good foods that i'd feed. My boys also get Natures diet occasionally.

If he needs to loose weight i'd put him on a dired food he likes and cut the portions but bulk up with vegatables etc to help him feel full.

Hydrotherapy is great for exercise and also keeps the joints happy too

·
Registered
45,877 Posts
No doubt as Laura says your having to reduce Rolo`s exercise because of his hips, so you`ll need to reduce his food intake too, no matter how much he bores thru you with those labby eyes :lol:

BARF is much like dried food, you can overfeed just the same, I watch Cindy and CJ`s weight and if they put it on then they get less again.

I`m sure members will be able to advise you on what helps keep their labs leaner :)

·
Premium Member
17,439 Posts
Mary just reminded me!

http://www.natural-animal-health.co.uk/Therapists/Leic-nor-war.htm

I was going to give the Murrayhill Kennels a call about taking Luna for a swim sometime (scroll down to near the bottom of the page).
"The first purpose built dog swimming pool available to the general public. Round pool with an island in the middle, giving close control of dogs when required. It is heated, enclosed and open all year round. They take dogs for rehabilitation or just fun. "

As you said Melton Mowbray isn't a million miles away! I'll let you know what I discover there if/when I get around to calling!

?

·
0 Posts
On a slightly different note. Rolo doesn't look fat in his photos, so are you sure he has 7 kgs to loose? It's ok the vet telling you he has to lose weight but if I was told Mojo had to lose 7 kgs, that would be 1/4 of her body weight and she would have to lose muscle to drop that much off her....she would be emaciated. Just beware of getting him to lose too much because, yes it is good for him to lose any extra fat, but if he loses muscle too, this will do his hips no good at all. He will also need to be in good shape to aid his recovery and if he is underweight he may find it harder to get over any ops.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Hi, I feed a BARF'ish diet but I don't think it's always better. I think it depends on the dog. It's worked brilliantly for Pip as I just couldn't find a dry food to suit her but all my friends feed dried and their dogs are doing fine. They're healthy and glossy etc.

And yes, you can definitely over feed on BARF just as you can on any other diet. Pippy, for example is food obsessed and would eat a whole cow if she could.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts