Labradors Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi can anyone please give me advice, my chocolate Labrador Ben, has a very sensitive skin rash, it seems to come on after him being in water. We have been to the vets, but they suggest putting him on apiquel, but I have read about this drug, and I don't like the sound of it

·
Registered
35 Posts
Do NOT go on apoquel.
We had our little Lola (pug/shih-tzu cross) on it for years as she has a skin condition. We were given no alternatives and she was frequently ill and formed little fatty lumps on her body. It's also terrible for her liver. She also still itched sometimes.

We switched vets and now she gets cytopoint injections once a month and not an itch had been had and it's far far less taxing on her system

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do NOT go on apoquel.
We had our little Lola (pug/shih-tzu cross) on it for years as she has a skin condition. We were given no alternatives and she was frequently ill and formed little fatty lumps on her body. It's also terrible for her liver. She also still itched sometimes.

We switched vets and now she gets cytopoint injections once a month and not an itch had been had and it's far far less taxing on her system

Thankyou so much for the advice, and does she have to have it every month. ?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thankyou so much for the advice, and does she have to have it every month. ?
She does.
I would bring it up with the vet but ultimately of course I'm no vet so let them decide. Maybe if it's short-term apoquel is suitable but if it's a lifetime condition then I would push for cytopoint.
The frequency depends on the dog. Lola has hers every 4 weeks (60gbp each!). Other dogs may need them less frequently, or more. Maybe there are reasons why yours shouldn't have Cytopoint.

Apoquel was 33gbp every 4 weeks, so half the cost, but ultimately harmful and not as effective.

·
Premium Member
9,319 Posts
Wow, that’s a huge jump for the vet to make. What tests did they do to assume apoquel was the only option?

Reactions: shnazzle
1 - 7 of 7 Posts