Labradors Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got this from Diana Stevens - only the email is "[email protected]" - note the letter "l" substituted with "1"

I am able to help but need to know if this is genuine. I have am 18 month old daughter, so was not on the forum and is out of the loop with any address changes etc...

Anybody is able to shed any light? I know there are some personal friends of Diana here....

"

I'm writing this with tears in my eyes, my family and I came down here to Kiev, Ukraine for a short vacation,unfortunately we were mugged at the park of the hotel where we stayed all cash,credit card and mobile phone were stolen off us but luckily we still have our passports with us.

We've been to the Embassy and the Police here but they're not helping issues at all the bad news is our flight will be leaving in less than 8-hrs from now but we're having problems settling the hotel bills and the hotel manager won't let us leave until we settle the bills.

I'll need your help (LOAN) financially of £2,500 . I promise to make the refund once we get back home. Please let me know if i can count on you and i need you to keep checking your email because it's the only way i can reach you.

Diana

"

·
Registered
176 Posts
Honestly- my instinct says anyone asking for money especially via an email is trying to scam you. Maybe someone on here knows them, but I think it's a ruse myself :(

Be careful !

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Aretoo said:
Honestly- my instinct says anyone asking for money especially via an email is trying to scam you. Maybe someone on here knows them, but I think it's a ruse myself :(

Be careful !
I know Diana as a fantastic dog trainer, a moderator here and her dog is a sire to my Cocoa. I have no issue loaning her money. I just don't want to be defrauded. :(

I am pretty sure it is fraud - not spam - because of the email address is altered. I wonder if her personal friends know about her whereabouts and can shed some light.

Or, indeed, if Diana can post here herself.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
It IS a Scam! They do it regularly. Di just wrote about it on fb, but her internet is down so unable to do much online.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
loonylab said:
It IS a Scam! They do it regularly. Di just wrote about it on fb, but her internet is down so unable to do much online.
Right. Thank you very much. I did not frequent the forum as I am so busy with the household duties, etc... :(

I am so sorry to hear about this scammers' attack!

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Definitely a scam, i have read of this exact letter being used before.
I've no idea how they do it, but the crooks seem to get smarter and smarter and always seem to be 1 step ahead.
There must be so many people fall for this scam and the many others out there.
Every single day i get emails telling my my accounts have been frozen, reactivate them now etc, it's time the governments of the world got together and stop these people.
Gary and Toby.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
PaddyOsc said:
Definitely a scam, i have read of this exact letter being used before.
I've no idea how they do it, but the crooks seem to get smarter and smarter and always seem to be 1 step ahead.
There must be so many people fall for this scam and the many others out there.
Every single day i get emails telling my my accounts have been frozen, reactivate them now etc, it's time the governments of the world got together and stop these people.
Gary and Toby.
I get this also, only this time it is from the person I know personally. :( My first reaction was to send an email back immediately to let her know I can help. But email address being tweaked spooked me. They are very smart, but what I am so sad about is that one day someone will need help and people won't because they will be convinced it is not genuine... :(

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Of course a scam! If something were to happen like this you wouldn't just email random people asking for help - you'd phone your friends and family!

Just delete the email. Don't reply; because chances are if you do you will get a virus yourself.

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Lol... IM fine and yes i have been well and truly hacked but all passwords etc changed now and hopefully end of as regards problems. Should anyone wish to donate to the free Diana from the Ukraine fund, i would be more than grateful!! 😊😊
di xxx

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Elena- just wanted to say how lovely it is that there are people out there as nice as you, your first thought is you were happy to help. Hope no-one ever takes advantage of that kindness! :D

·
Registered
470 Posts
Yep - I got one too. I have had something similar before so knew that it would be phony. It is a worry though for people who maybe aren't so internet savvy that get duped. So far in the past 2 weeks I have had an e-mail from Natwest about my account (I don't have one with them??!!), and a paypal one (which looked sooooo realistic until you hit reply and the e-mail address is some random).

Before Christmas I had a HRMC one too which was quite authentic looking.

The internet can be a wonderful thing but also a worry :wink:

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
I have had two different friends hacked and this same message has come from them. One arrived this morning and my friend rang me up and said;
"Apparently I am poverty-struck in the Ukraine, but actually I am safely at home."

The other one came from Merlin's breeder! I knew firstly that she is in the UK and secondly she would not be asking me for money :lol:

·
Registered
521 Posts
Scam

Must be singling out dog breeders, same type of scam came to me (from my dog breeder) so I phoned her to find she had an e-mail from her site and was quite suprised to find out she was not at home!!
Rach

1 - 18 of 18 Posts