Labradors Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a new lab after the recent loss of our working lab.Been 13 years since we last bought a dog have had labs for the last 27 years.Find the whole concept of deposits baffling.My commitment is that I will travel far to see a dog but don’t want to be pressured into getting a dog just because a non refundable has been paid.How does anyone else deal with this situation?Thanks

·
Administrator
20,704 Posts
In the case of my Amy, The stud dog was 10 years old and I'd known him and what he had already produced since he was 9 months old, and I had met and liked the dam. I was asked for a deposit once the pups were born and we knew that there were some bitch pups. (I'd been offered my pick of the bitches)

Chloe was very similar in that I knew both sire and dam and had been offered my pick of the bitches. The deposit was paid once we knew there were some bitch pups to choose from.

·
Premium Member
1,568 Posts
From a breeder's perspective, I won't take deposits, people can be really nice and then turn round and surprise you, so I'd rather have no physical contract between me and a person looking for a pup. I don't understand why many breeders take deposits, a lot say it's to prevent people from messing them around, but surely if they think someone might do this it's better not to let them have one of your pups in the first place. It's also ridiculous at the minute, there are a lot of pups being sold for prices that don't reflect the planning of the litter at all, I saw one over the weekend, bitch has no health tests, not very good Estimated Breeding Values for hips and elbows, pups are priced at £1,800. The only real health test result is one clear by parentage for CNM, other than that no actual hip score or elbow grade, no current BVA eye cert, no other genetic tests, and yet all the pups are reserved!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts