Labradors Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We want to be able to use a crate for Harry when we're out and at night. we only had him a day (see below!) and he's been fine with it so far, as well as you could expect I think. Is it OK to take it down during the day, leaving his bed roughly where crate is - yestesrday he had some naps in it and some outside - or will this send him mixed signals? Currently door is closed as it's drying out and this doesn't seem to bother him. I'd quite like it down during the day is it is near garden door so hindering our hasty exits to the garden for potential toileting.

thanks in anticipation!

G

·
Registered
29,722 Posts
Why do you want to take the crate down during the day?

Personally I would leave it up all the time and leave it open when he is not in it so that he can go in and out and use it as he wishes, this will cause least stress for him when you do want him to go in it and the door is closed.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure why I want to take it down - good question! I guess because it's quite large and he'll have more space to play with it down, but that said the kitchen is quite large so he's not short of space even with it up.
G

·
Registered
29,722 Posts
:wink: there you go then... I would keep it up. I know they are a pain when they are so big (why didn't we get border terriers eh?) but he will be more comfortable with it if he has free access to it and will not get confused.

?

·
0 Posts
I'm with Rach, I'd leave it up. I've found consistancy is the key with pups, in everything.

You want him to look at the crate as his own personal space. If it is there sometimes and not others he will claim somewhere else as his own and then he may only associate the crate with you leaving him, which could cause you problems later on.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Indy's bed is in the crate, it's her only 'main' sleeping place now, although she does tend to nap on the sofa during the day.

I'd also say leave it up, then at least your pup has somewhere safe to go during the day.

·
Registered
14,890 Posts
OMG - if I had to put my crates up and down throughout the day, I don't think I would do anything else 8O

I guess it's different in a multi-dog household, but mine are up all the time, and Hally often takes herself off into a crate in the mornings :D - they are also handy then for occasions such as unexpected visitors to save them getting mugged within an inch of their lives in one go :roll: Or if I have to nip out for any reason :D

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Oak's is up all the time - and I quite often find one of the big boys happily curled up inside! The amusing thing is when they squeeze into the small crate that Moss sleeps in! Their choice, I hasten to add!

Katy

·
Registered
51 Posts
Crates in the day

I've never used a crate with a puppy until we got Radley We leave it up all the time, in the corner of our dining room and in the 3 weeks we have had him, he's really settled, and does go in there during the day as well.

We see that as a huge positive, as he's then comfortable in the knowledge that that is his space, and we've had not problem if we've had to leave him in there (albeit only for a couple of hours) during the day.

Radley also sleeps in there at night and I am sure it helped him settle in really quickly!

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
Hi,

I think you'd maybe get fed up putting it up and taking it down all the time. I couldn't wait to get rid of mine, but it's amazing how quick you get used to it being in the way.... and then soon enough it becomes part of the furniture. I did put mine away permanently when my pup got to about 6months, but others use them longer and I might've too if I'd had the room and the sense to buy a large enough crate from day one. I remember finding mine a god send during the day when I wanted to do a quick whizz round with the hoover without crazy pup chasing it, or when I needed to mop the floor and was worried about her slipping on wet floor.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts