Labradors Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well Danny is a lively but lovely boy, he travelled very well considering he was in my car for two hours and that is without the first jourmey he had. We had no sickness, the only thing he did is as soon as he saw any dogs walk by, he barked at them.

He has been here since half one and had a great time chasing Tia around the garden, he knows the command sit when offered an incentive! When he needs the toilet he has gone outside so seems to be ok on that front. He has eaten his tea in the same room as Tia, I did stand between them just in case, but he finished his before her and kind of made a shuffle towards it, and a firm no stopped him in his tracks.

He does counter surf for food, which is a bit of a no no. So that is something we will have to work on and the basic commands.

He has been very good with the children (I have a boy of almost five, and a two year old daughter). Although he will go up to them to say hello, he is more interested in adults I have found at the mo. I do think although he jumps up to say hello, he is quite gentle in how he goes about things. My sister came over to see him and although he did jump up at first, he soon settled and just sat by her to be stroked and did not make a great fuss over it.

He has been good with Tia, as she is VERY lively, he has grumbled a liitle at her, but she has just left him alone. She is more submissive than him, so she leaves him to it.

He is laying on floor beside me whilst I update you all fast asleep and happy to be out of kennels I think!

He is a very happy boy, that seems to thrive on attention.

·
Registered
45,877 Posts
Awww Danny is gorgeous, I hope he finds a new home soon, unless of course you become a failed fosterer :wink: :lol:

·
Premium Member
17,439 Posts
Well done you for fostering!
It sounds like he'll be happy to be 'knocked into shape' by your household!
Love the way he holds his ears! - quite collie like??

·
Registered
266 Posts
Glad he travelled well with you-he was in our car for 2hrs too with a 10min break whilst we were waiting to meet, so thats really good :D
I was told he is prob a staffie x= hes certainly got the head and ears
I see you managed to get him to stay still long enough for some pictures lol.
Good luck with him and keep us posted on his progress

Suzi

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Awww Danny is gorgeous, I hope he finds a new home soon, unless of course you become a failed fosterer
Mary, Danny does still need a forever home, I feel I would like to foster at the moment, although he is lovely and my son keeps saying he loves him (this is very good in itself, because he tends to be a bit wary of dogs other than Tia). If I can provide a temporary home for a few dgos instead of kennels then that has to be a good thing. Plus I think my husband would put a stop to that :D :D

Yes, I think he is probably crossed with a staffie. He slept very well last night, no noise when we went to bed, when I got up this morning I was greeted by a dog jumping on his back legs. So he was very happy to see me. No accidents on the floor either. I decided not to crate him and see how he went with Tia, and he seems to be fine.

So good start at the moment.

·
Registered
6,682 Posts
Well done you for fostering Danny. He looks and sounds gorgeous and is certainly being a very good boy so far.

Best of luck with him and I hope he finds a lovely new forever home.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Im so glad that Danny travelled well and that he has settled so brilliantly...so far.

We do think he is probably lab x staffie by the shape of his head really.

He had been in the kennels for a few weeks and I think they we quite sad to see him leave as he is such a friendly boy.

Great that he is good with your children, it will make rehoming him alot easier.

The next move is to let him settle and then we will sort out about getting him castrated. I know i wont have an immediate effect but it will help long term.

If he will sit still long enough some photos of him would be great especially ones with your children if you dont mind them being put on the rescue website.

Email them direct to me though if you could.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If he will sit still long enough some photos of him would be great especially ones with your children if you dont mind them being put on the rescue website.
Vicky, that will be fine, the biggest thing is getting him to sit still long enough. He will do some lovely poses but as soon as I point the camera at him he walks towards it!

He is great with the children, I find that he is more wanting of adult attention than the children. They have been trying to play with him but he is just not that interested in them. Unless they have food of course! But a 'leave' command seems to do the trick.

I did some heel work with him in the garden this morning and is quite enjoying the one to one attention.

He will run after a toy but does not really know what to do with it when he gets it, I am sure he will soon learn off of Tia.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Helen, I am enjoying at the moment.

Danny has had his second night, so no whining when I went to bed he has learnt very quickly that I am coming back down the stairs when I am ready. Also not so jumpy when I did come down the stairs.

I think he should be called Shadow not Danny as everywhere I go, he is 2 steps behind. :D :D :D

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
Danny is beautiful and sounds like he's settled in nicely to his new foster home :D

How's Tia doing? (I remember she was showing signs of HD or was it OCD?)

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Congratulations on your first foster. I admire all of you fosterers for giving these lovely dogs a home for a while. It is something I would really like to do one day soon - hopefully. :D :D

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
How's Tia doing? (I remember she was showing signs of HD or was it OCD?)
Mo, she is doing fine, a little stiff now and again after exercise, but she is doing her gundog training and stuff and seems to be fine. She never yelps or limps or has problems getting up, she does have a funny gait at times on her back end and I think this is her compensating for her hip. She is on joint tablets and doing hydro and that seems to be enough. Obviously if it got too bad she would have an op, but I and the vet do not think she is any where near this stage as yet. Thanks for asking.

Danny seems to be very settled now, I think he is actually quite a laid back chap. If it wasn't for Tia starting all of the rough and tumbles I think he would be happy following me around all day.

I took them both out into the woods last night, Tia was off lead and he stayed on (much to his disgust!!!), I find he walks quite nicely if he is on his own, but when she is pacing around in front of him he found this a complete tease.

He will now share the water bowl whilst drinking, the only thing he did do at first was have a little grumble , but now both heads go in together.

I do think whoever has him will be very lucky because he really is such a pleasure to have around. He has done nothing wrong as yet so I have no reason to doubt him in any way. He now thinks his feet are well and truly under the table :D :D :D

1 - 20 of 35 Posts