Labradors Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. We've recently adopted a five year old chocolate lab, Fudge. Her coat has lighter coloured patches in places ie on her head and around her legs. She also has dandruff. She was fed on Waggs and I have just changed her over to JWB and am giving her cod liver oil mixed in her food. I also have bought a furminator which I used on her on the weekend. Got some hair off (not that much though!) and it was covered in dandruff. Can anyone tell me if the light patches are normal and if any other advice about the dandruff would be greatly appreciated. She also has rough patches around her legs that look like the fur has worn down to the skin though thankfully these are only small patches. Shes a lovely dog and gets on great with my Old English Sheepdog and two Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
No advice really as it sounds like you're already doing all the things I would've done to improve her coat.... so just giving this a wee bump back up the board for you :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does anyone else's chocolate lab have lighter patches? Fudge has them on her forehead, end of her tail, and bits and pieces on her legs. They are patches that are a lighter shade of tan almost. Would just like to know if this is the norm as I have never owned a lab before. TIA

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
Yeah, Bracken's got some lighter patches on her head and her tail is lighter than the rest of her. She's more-or-less the same colour all over, but I have seen other chocs out and about with patchy colour.

Post a pic if you've got one and people will be able to have a look and let you know what they think :D

G

·
If the dry skin patches are on her elbows it's probably where she's been lying down on hard surfaces, my Jet gets them and I hate the way it looks but it doesn't seem to bother him. I rub his elbows with some vaseline a couple of times a week which keeps the dry patches at bay
( I also use hair serum on them but my OH says this it waaayyy too embarassing to admit in open forum) It does the job just as well and smells so much nicer :roll: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
9,405 Posts
My Jana has some very fetching ginger patches, it is only in the summer this happens and she goes dark again in the winter :D

Twix also has ginger streaks but that has more to do with her age :roll: I give cod liver oil and apart from the streaks her coat is good. Trust me you get SO much more hair form a yellow in my experience anyway :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hey thanks for the replies. Thats all reassuring to know. Will continue to feed her the JWB and cod liver oil and use the furminator and see how her coat hopefully improves in time. Thanks for the advice everyone

1 - 7 of 7 Posts