Labradors Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a real minefield. Puppy advice says must have it. How can a dam be on KC if not hipped scored?

·
Registered
13,405 Posts
Any pedigree dog can be KC registered it does not need to be health scored, the KC is proof of pedigree (family tree) not health testing.

If this is a possible pup then i would steer clear of an unhealthtested dam personally - there are plenty of others to choose from :)

Do check with the breeder personally though - sometimes the KC database is out of date.

·
Premium Member
15,716 Posts
Hi

From reading your other thread I think you seem to be having doubts about this particular breeder. If you're not 100% comfortable then go with your gut instinct and choose a pup from elsewhere.

I don't know anything about the breeder except for 1 pup from there who had severe HD and has had surgery on her hip (hip replacement failed so has had her hip removed) - but having said that, if they have bred a lot of litters (which I think they have) then the odds of there being a problem with a pup increases even with all the relevant health tests.

I personally would never again buy a pup from untested parents

·
Premium Member
14,224 Posts
Fidget to be honest, if the dam has not been hip scored - or the sire for that matter - I would walk away and look elsewhere.

I know that hipscoring just reduces the risk in that if both sides have low hip scores the risk of dysplasia is reduced, it is not eliminated - for me I would every time want that hip scoring, but now (thanks to LF) I would also want the hip scores of the wider family as well... and in fact when looking for Bramble refused to look at one litter simply because the dam had a high hip score as did other members of the family - to be fair the breeder in question was totally upfront and honest and answered my questions..but for me the risk of passing that on was one I did not want to run...

Having said that - the breeder was lovely - and I would ahve loved to ahve had a puppy from her ..

I would second what has been said that if you ahve any doubts walk away - I bought Bramble from breeders who are influential in his breed (which is very small) all the health checks were there, and everything was fine, they had had lots of experience but there was something telling me to walk away.

I ignored that and bought Bramble. In terms of health and temperament (if we can ignore the very small issue of not eating for a year 8O 8O :lol: :lol: ) Bramble is perfect - but the breeders proved to be appalling and I so wish I had gone with my gut instinct...

Hope you have a success to tell us all about in your search very soon - and that you find just the perfect pup and perfect breeders to support you!!!

Eve Neo and Bramble

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
scary

it is so scary out there. poor dogs hp must be so painful.
here's to a successful healthy campaign.
it certainly pays to ask lots of questions doesn't it?

·
Premium Member
14,224 Posts
It does that and it pays to have a wonderful supportive breeder behind you - Neo has a lot of health problems - his breeder has been fantastically supportive - and she still 6 years on is interested in him and how he is doing - sending me updates on his litter sister as well... its great and I treasure that...

Eve Neo and Bramble

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
supportive breeder

Now that's what I like, somebody who really loves the breed and cares what happens to them when they leave them

·
Registered
14,890 Posts
I obviously don't know the background to this - what I can say is that one pup developing HD from a kennels, particularly as Wendy says if they do breed a few litters the odds increase; "there by the grace of god...." - it could happen to any breeder - all you can do is ensure you minimise the risks by checking the breeder has used hipscored dogs and taking the exercise provided by the breeder. Also. ALWAYS ensure good quality insurance is top of your shopping list.

I know some multi dog owners and fellow breeders think I am bats because I insure all mine - but the OH and I sat down and weighed it all up and decided that never in a million years could we lay our hands on (or save) the sort of cash that may be required if they developed a long term condition, or, god forbid got into the road and had an accident.

You will see a disproportionate number of Labs with HD and other genetic conditions on LF by the site's very nature - but bear in mind that overall the Lab is generally a very health breed and most dogs (dare I say it) from health tested and non-health tested parents do go on to live relatively healthy and full lives - as a prospective owner, you can improve the chances of that by buying responsibly.

I don't know if you have looked at the Labrador Health website - which has wealth of information on the subject of health testing at: www.lab-health.co.uk

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hips

Thanks for the good advice.
Being naive I was more surprised that a dam could been advertised on kennel club site without hip score.
Is it stupid to ask what KC actually do about policing doggy health problems ?

·
Registered
14,890 Posts
Re: hips

fidget31 said:
Is it stupid to ask what KC actually do about policing doggy health problems ?
No - it's not stupid at all - unfortunately, you may not like the answers. In terms of what monitoring and records are in place, then JohnW is your man.

In terms of what restrictions are placed on registering a litter with the KC - quite simply - both parents are KC registered and are (obviously) of the same breed.

The KC do lay down Hip scoring and current eye certificates for Accredited Breeders - but there is no such requirement for non-accredited breeders - HOWEVER, this does not mean all AB's are good or that non AB are bad.

Many AB's and non AB's do far more than the minimum recommended health tests - likewise, simply doing the health tests does not necessarily a good breeder make - a minefield just about sums it up recently.

You have to go with a combination of physical evidence and your own instincts.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts