Labradors Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello...looking for some advice please. Our labrador, Daisy has sliced open the pad that's on the knobbly bit of her lower front leg. It's a v-shaped cut - about 1cm wide on the edge of the pad, where it attaches to the rest of her leg. It's not very deep but there is white stringy tissue visible. It's bled a little, but more just oozing a bit. I've been bathing it with a salt water wash and dressing it when she goes outside s to keep it clean and dry - although leaving it dressing free when inside to let the air get to it. We've also decided not to walk her for a couple of days as it seems to cause her more pain yesterday after a short lead walk. She seems quieter than usual, but is ok for us to look at it and dress it - with a little flinching when we bathe it.

My question is, should I take her to the vet or would this sort of injury heal on it's own. I'm concerned the vets will want to give her a GA and stitches that may not be entirely necessary...I'd always favour the natural approach rather than knocking her out unnecessarily.

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks

G

·
As long as the wound looks clean, doesn't have a *****/smelly discharge and isn't hot or swollen then I'd carry on doing as you're doing. Pads take an age to heal up at times, even if vets do stitch them, so it's just a case keeping it clean and being patient.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
you're doing all the right things. Stanley had a rather nasty split in his pad a couple of months ago, which I thought would take an age to heal. I bathed it several times a day in salt water, kept him on light exercise for a week or so and only covered it when he went outside. I was amazed when the split was almost completely knitted back together after only a couple of weeks. So, like Jules said, unless you're worried about infection, just carry on with what you're doing and it will heal up nicely on its own.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Hello.
I know i'm new to the site but your post caught my eye. I've just taken Diesel to the vets this morning for a simular thing. He cut chunks out of his pads when he slid across some gravel at the park. I noticed hes cut the pads on 3 of his legs so walking is very painful for him. :(
I tried to bath then and he wasn't too happy for me to do this and got a little nasty.
Your doing all the things the vet recommended to me.
He gave Diesel some pain killers and antibiotics. He did say that the pads heal naturally and it shouldn't be to much of an issue as long as there is nothing in the wound.

Good luck and i hope Daisy gets better soon

Kate & Diesel

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all for your advice - we'll carry on doing as we are but keep a close eye for any signs of infection. Fingers crossed it will heal soon on it's own.

G

·
As the others have said, just keep on doing what you are doing and keep an eye on it in case of infection.

Just as an aside, Jet had a cut pad a while back and although I did take him to the vet, the vet wouldn't stitch it as he said it can do more harm than good on a pad as the stitches themselves cause worse scar tissue and can pull making the cut worse. So unless there are other things causing concern I will be more confident in my own abilities to look after my dog if he ever gets a cut pad in future.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts