Labradors Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all. i pray you all had a brilliant christmas and your furbabys too.
as for me and daddy. we had to rush merlin to rspca christmas eve as he sliced his pad on the front paw.
we returned to the rspca christmas day and boxing day for fresh dressing.
do any of you guys know how long it will take for the pad to close and heal.
any advise or opion or experiance would be so much appresicated.
merlin.s daddy and i are so grateful that you guys are about to encourage and give advise.
xxxx

·
Premium Member
861 Posts
It depends how deep it is, they can take a while but the important thing is to rest it, no hooleying around unfortunately as they open up again really easily. Mac did his quite badly last summer and it did take nearly 4 weeks to heal fully as it kept re-opening. It would be worth getting a boot to go over it for when he goes out until it's healed properly, that really helped with Mac.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
My Merlin cut his pad last year, we bathed it in salty water and I put sudocrem and an old baby sock on it when in the house. It took a couple of weeks to fully heal. Hope your Merlin heals quickly.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Hi,

Sorry to hear about Merlins paw. Toby had a small cut on his pad when he was a youngster. I gave it a week and then took him to the vet as it wasn't closing. I thought there might be something in it. The vet just said it can take weeks for cut pads to heal as they are constantly walking on it.

Liz&Toby

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
Hiya,

They are a flippin nightmare to heal, try manuka honey, it works a treat. Plenty fresh air too, also keep it clean, hope it is better soon :)

C

·
0 Posts
Ruby cut her paw very deeply when she was young, the vets said they were prone to popping back open so gave her a local anastetic injection, gave it a clean and popped a staple it. A week later they took the staple out and it had healed up beautifully.

·
Administrator
20,482 Posts
do any of you guys know how long it will take for the pad to close and heal.
Pads often do not "Close" as such. You need to think of the pads as the sole of a shoe, but a rather exotic sole which continually replaces it's self.

The bottom of the pads wear, just like the sole of your shoe but is continually being replaced in the inside so the split gradually wears away until it's gone.

Regards, John

·
Premium Member
793 Posts
My vet taught me with horses that to close a wound well and quick to use Preparation H, mad though it sounded at the time I did and my crazy filly who had a bad wire cut did very well rapidly.
I had forgotten this tip, then had a bitch spayed, and she wouldn't close the one end of her operation site, he used Preparation H!
Now this is something I keep in my first aid box for sure, I wonder about its use on a cut pad to heal quicker!

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thank you all so very much for your valued experiance and advise and encouragement.
thank you john also .
reading your answers i have a better idear, and will watch and keep clean his pad.
you are all so very important to my hubby and me.
we know we can count on you guys for advise and opions and experiance,
xx

1 - 9 of 9 Posts