Labradors Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our little lady, Bailey, went out for a walk this morning and whilst playing with another dog managed to get a cut nose. They apparently ran at each other and bumped heads and it would appear the other dogs teeth has cut into her nose (I wasn't there but my husband was). The brown skin on the nose is cut and you can see the pink underneath. There was little blood when she came in from the walk but not much.

Will I need to take her to the vet or will it heal on it's own. Also, can the nose be broken in anyway like a humans or will it just be the external injury? Is it wise to keep bathing it with something - if so how often and what with.

Sorry for the list of questions - it's the first time something like this has happened and so we're new to this and want to to the best for her.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
15,284 Posts
I'm not a vet, but from what you've said, if she were one of mine, I'd bathe it in a salt solution (just dissolve some salt in hot water and then add cold/leave to cool until it's not too hot to use) a few times a day. Is it just a small cut?

I'd also give homeopathic arnica, as that's something I keep at home.

It's not something I'd rush to the vet to, from my understanding of your post, but obviously if you're concerned, do speak to them.

Hope things heal up nicely :)

·
Administrator
20,493 Posts
Also dog's mouths are relatively clean,so if it did come from a tooth then the risk of infection is quite low when compared with some animals. Cats and horses are particularly bad when it comes to infection!

Regards, John

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses and apologies for the delay in acknowledging - I've been carried away with pre-Christmas mayhem :)

I've kept the nose clean as suggested and it has healed very nicely so panic over.

Have a great Christmas!

Debbie

C

·
0 Posts
Willow got bitten on the nose when she was about 14 weeks old, I bathed it in salt water 3 times a day and when she was a sleep I went I to stealth mode and popped a bit of savlon or sudacrram on it (desperatly trying not to wake her so she didn't lick it off!)

It has healed up really well but has left a scar (which is gradually fading)

C

·
0 Posts
Willow got bitten on the nose when she was about 14 weeks old, I bathed it in salt water 3 times a day and when she was a sleep I went I to stealth mode and popped a bit of savlon or sudacrram on it (desperatly trying not to wake her so she didn't lick it off!)

It has healed up really well but has left a scar (which is gradually fading)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts