Labradors Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently wrote to Armitage Pet Products about their flashing dog balls and said how dissapointed with the product I am. This is the email I sent:-

I have purchased multiple amounts of these balls (6+) since the beginning of the year and at a retail price of £3.69 this has not come cheaply. In the dark winter months these balls are great for my two Labrador's, Maisy and Meghan to play retrieve games. Unfortunately, the durability of these balls are somewhat questionable, for the following reasons:-

1. After a short period of play the balls become distorted, becoming egg shaped.

2. The small disc shaped section on top of the ball has popped out on at least two of the balls I have purchased rendering them unusable.

3. Yesterday, I used a brand new ball and within 30 minutes of play the lights fundamentally stopped working with just a tiny red glow visible.

4. The light fitting has become detached from the wall of the ball and rattled inside ceasing to operate.

I consider that these balls have only received what I would call average use and I have to say that I am very disappointed with the durability of these toys. Unless improvements are made to enhance the robustness of this item I will no longer be purchasing these for my dogs. This will not effect me purchasing other Armitages products, as generally I believe them to be of good quality.

So today I have received the following reply...

Thank you for your e-mailed enquiry of 22nd February 2014 which has been passed to me in Customer Services. I apologise for the delay in responding to you and I am sorry you have had cause to contact us regarding your recent purchase of our Good Boy Lob It UFO Dog Toy.

Armitage Pet Products Limited is a caring and responsible pet company and safety is always uppermost in our minds when selecting products for the range. All of our toys are manufactured with quality non-toxic material from reputable suppliers. We like to think they give value for money and a reasonable lifespan and we do our utmost to ensure that they are as safe and as durable as we can possibly make them.

It is most important that your pet is supervised at all times whilst at play, and we do print a warning on all of our header cards which states: Pets Should Be Supervised When Playing With Toys. Should the toy become ripped or damaged it must be removed from the pet immediately and I know that as a responsible pet owner, you would have followed these instructions.

Our toys generally have an excellent reputation. Manufacturers are always aware of the potential dangers to pets, and attempt to incorporate safety-first methods into their designs. Our toys compare very favourably with those of our competitors and we do feel that they carry the correct warnings to allow safe play. Notwithstanding that we are under no legal obligation to do so, all of our toys are tested to the same BS EN71 standard as child toys.

All dogs are different in the way they play and any toy no matter how strong can become vulnerable when confronted with a dog’s strong sharp teeth. However, we do expect a reasonable amount of play and it is evident that on this occasion this toy was not up to the standard you would expect of a Good Boy product. Our products are under constant review and our Purchasing Manager has been made aware of your comments. We will also continue to monitor customer feedback on this particular toy and thank you for bringing this to our attention.

I am sorry you were disappointed with your purchase. As a gesture of goodwill, I have arranged for a cheque for £10.00 to be sent to you by way of a refund so you can buy your dog either a replacement or an alternative toy. You should receive the cheque within the next two weeks and I hope you will accept it along with our sincerest apologies.

In conclusion, I must stress that we would never knowingly offer for sale any product likely to present a hazard to any pet or indeed undermine the confidence of our customers. We do hope that the aforesaid will help restore your confidence in our Company and its products.

Whilst I appreciate the good will gesture of £10.00, it appears to me that they don't have to make a dog toy that will last as long as they throw a disclaimer on the packaging. Also how can they possible test these products to a BS EN standard that relates to child toys!

·
Registered
674 Posts
The only toys I have found that have a reasonable life span are the kong one's which cost a small fortune.

Children don't have big teeth and strong jaws with which to play with their toys, just gentle little fingers - so I find that comment they made quite daft!

·
Registered
429 Posts
i love the kong toys my yorkie tears toys up somthing terrible i bought her the kong rabbit its simply the only toy she cant destroy ...as for jack he is enjoying the kong tennis ball again a very good product.
hope you get a good result soon .

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
It is a strangely defensive email, but at least you got some money.

For a really great glow in the dark ball I suggest the "chuck it" glow ball.

It isn't bright or flashing but it shows up in the dark, and Min loves hers. I actually purchased hers in the USA for a LOT less than the UK prices but she uses it daily and is a destructive dog when it comes to balls.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Littlelab said:
The Glow balls I bought from PAH have lasted ages and Bean is a chomper, they are £4 and you can even change the batteries apparently
Milo has had a few of these through the winter but they have either after a short time of play gone dim or stayed on and gone flat, You can change the batteries though if they live that long.
He is also adept at "skinning" them if he manages to get hold of one while you are not watching as we found out.

After looking at the Chuck it glow ball im off to order one thanks !

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
I just use normal tennis balls in the dark. 9 times out of 10 we come back with all the balls. They can see and hear the ball way better than we can :) it's good training lol

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all of your night time ball recommendations :)

It just seems that every dog toy on the market, seem to have a disclaimer on them almost suggesting that they're not really suitable for dogs and therefore not fit for purpose. I guess manufacturers of these products are terrified of being sued!

It's funny really because I never complain about this sort of thing, but on the plus side I have some extra pennies to spend on the girls at Crufts on Sunday :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts