Labradors Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cally is 8 months old, she is our third Labrador. Her coat has become course and wavy, none of our previous dogs have had this coat. Is this a genetic throwback? I met her mother who had smooth coat but only saw a picture of her father. Cally is from working dogs. Has anyone had dogs with this coat?

·
Premium Member
9,142 Posts
There are certain lines that carry the KRT71 coat curl gene, a very well known French dual champion (he was British bred from a very well known kennel) was affected. It’s just becoming a known thing, it’s been around for years but was brushed under the carpet by many beeeders. There are DNA tests now available. I have a bitch who is a carrier but isn’t affected. Some lines gave a wave in the coat down the back, this isn’t as a result of the coat curl gene.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are certain lines that carry the KRT71 coat curl gene, a very well known French dual champion (he was British bred from a very well known kennel) was affected. It’s just becoming a known thing, it’s been around for years but was brushed under the carpet by many beeeders. There are DNA tests now available. I have a bitch who is a carrier but isn’t affected. Some lines gave a wave in the coat down the back, this isn’t as a result of the coat curl gene.

·
Premium Member
2,080 Posts
There's also Willowyck Ruff a well known FT CH who won the IGL from memory, who had a very thick, wavy ruff of hair down his back. I've seen a few with a very wavy coat, and, although the breed standard says the coat should be without wave, it does seem to be common to have a slight wave on the longer hair down the back at the very least.

·
Premium Member
9,142 Posts
A wave along the spine is permissible, indeed some say it’s a sign of an excellent double coat. This is normal and not indicative that the dog is affected by or a carrier of the KRT71 gene. The wavy coat across the entire body is an indicator of the random gene. It is something that can now be tested for in Labradors. In mainland Europe they frequently test for the long hair gene too and you’ll see it on details of stud dogs. In the 80s there were a number of winning dogs with this erroneous coat, until recently it was something that wasn't acknowledged. I know a fair bit about it because the sire of Poppy is actually affected and she’s a carrier. His sire, British bred from a very well known kennel but now deceased, had the same coat as his son but he died in 2004 before DNA tests became widely used. His pedigree contains breeding from some of the best known, historic lines out there but who knows where it came from? No one is prepared to say anything publicly apart from the breeder of Poppy who has published a detailed article about the subject in the French retriever club gazette.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts