Labradors Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We use a crate in the bedroom at night for our 5 month old lab. When he needs the toilet he normally cries and bangs his cage and we take him out .

Over the last few weeks he bangs his cage as normal in the middle of the night , when we get up to take him out he just goes to the back of his cage and goes asleep .

Sometimes he does it a few times during the night and each time he refuses to leave his cage .

We cant work out why he does this . Has anyone else had experience with this.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Perhaps he's just getting up to change position. I know my own dog will get up a few times each night, circle around, maybe rearrange his bedding before flopping down and going back to sleep. Ash isn't in a cage but would definitely be banging the sides if he were.

·
Premium Member
9,000 Posts
Sounds like he’s just moving around. My big lad does the same when he’s changing position in his crate in the living room when we’re watching tv. He’s a menace with some of the girls so he has a safe place, as fo they.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I originally thought it was because he was moving around but he paws at the cage and cries as if he wants to go out for the toilet

·
Administrator
21,294 Posts
Be careful he is not learning a "Handler recall." He shouts and you come arunning. He can see this as quite rewarding.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts