Labradors Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so as great as Benji is he has one flaw! And it is a bad one. Food!! He actually goes crazy for food! He pretty much inhales it. And once he has had food he goes crazy looking for more. If he has not had food he is not bothered. It is just after that he acts like a starved dog. He is fed up to 3 times a day and he gets enough food. He has been wormed. I thought it may be that but doesn't seem to be. I have no idea what to do. Because he is really getting big now and he doesn't realise it. He jumps up at whoever is feeding him and he jumps up on the counters and table..Has anyone else had this problem? Maybe he needs more food? Coco eats sooo slow. And I know Charlie was never this bad. Anybody have any advice?

Just to show ye how tall he is now 8O He is 5 and a half months. His tail seems to be straightening out too.

He is taller than Coco now!

I may be biased here but I think he is turning into a handsome boy!

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Hello - yes, he is a stunning boy!

Cooper is a bit the same. He begs more for food AFTER he's had his dinner than before, which is just so weird. I think I'm feeding the right quantities too. To slow down his eating, I use 2-3 kongs and a hollow 'donut' ring and fill them with his kibble, so it takes him 2-5 min to get his food out and eat rather than 2-5 seconds! In the evening though I pour water over his kibble so it's floating in it (not soaked and mushy if you know what I mean). This slows the eating down, but also means I can leave just a tiny sip of water for the evening (he used to chug down a full bowl before bed and obviously needed the bathroom during the night).

In terms of him begging for more when he's done, when he comes to me tail wagging after his dinner, I tell him he's a good boy and give him a nylabone or something to chew to keep him chewing and busy (you can hold it for him to get him started). He has now learned that after meal time it's quiet time and then he gets a quick walk.

I hope this helps :)

·
Registered
478 Posts
Humphrey is a foodie too! He wolfs down his meals in seconds! I ended up getting him a slow feeding/anti bloat bowl, and it really has slowed him down a lot. Because it takes him longer to eat, he doesn't go on to try and take Saffy's food or want more, since they now finish at a similar time.

Saffy, like Coco, is a very slow eater, and takes her time and is very ladylike! Whereas Humphrey will just devour a bone or his mince!

My sisters lab puppy (also a similar age to Benji & Humphrey - 6 months) is also a foodie. We bought her a slow feeding bowl for Christmas and that slowed her down too. Not quite as much as it slows Humphrey down, but Humphrey has a broader muzzle as he's more 'show' type, and my sisters pup is more 'working' type so her muzzle is narrower and she got into the little sections easier :)

The slow feeding bowl was quite cheap £5...so might be worth a try :)

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you guys! I will try this tips! I was thinking about a slow feeding bowl. He probably will sort the inhaling food part but I don't know why he looks for more after :/ I was also thinking a kong but once he gets something into his mouth he runs around the house like crazy! I could give it to him outside though.

·
Premium Member
2,128 Posts
CharlieMarleyCoco said:
Thank you guys! I will try this tips! I was thinking about a slow feeding bowl. He probably will sort the inhaling food part but I don't know why he looks for more after :/ I was also thinking a kong but once he gets something into his mouth he runs around the house like crazy! I could give it to him outside though.
Freeze the kong - then he has to lick it out.

We put soaked kibble in the bottom (from her allowance), then smash or porridge mixed with salmon oil, then a little smear of fish paste - all frozen. It takes her ages to get to the bottom of one, and no mess. I have four kongs so that there is always at least one in the freezer.

:)

·
Premium Member
17,438 Posts
I've ended up trained by Luna to give a small rawhide twist after meals... seems to stop them being disappointed that the food has all gone!

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Porridge frozen in a Kong - what a great idea. I will try that for Cass as she absolutely loves porridge. At the moment I use Mullerice but that is really a bit sweet. I never thought of porridge. I couldn't add in the salmon oil as that would make her sick but definitely porridge sounds good.

Cass is a foodie too but we learnt early on to make her sit for her meals and also to sit whilst I was working at the counter - she still sits and dribbles though and if all is silent all that can be heard is "splat, splat".

I bulk Cassie's food up with vegetables so she sees a nice sized bowlful and it also helps fill her up. She also has raw fruit and veg as treats during the day which I also stuff in her Kong. In the beginning Cass would devour her meal in seconds but once she got to around 8-10 months it slowed down to a more sensible pace. I put it down to her being one of ten and having such competition as a tiny puppy that it took sometime to realise that you really don't have to gobble your food or treats. Even now though some foods are just swallowed whole - e.g a cherry tomato this evening that rolled on the floor! It didn't touch the side.

Benji is a gorgeous looker and has a lovely coat.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys :) I usually make him sit before I put the food down but I will try as I am preparing it. I just ordered a slow feeder, a kong and 20 rawhide bones! Hope this works :p Dogs have been spoilt this week!! They both have new collars and harnesses on the way too! Benji is outgrowing everything very quickly.

·
Premium Member
3,170 Posts
Thinking back, 15 years :roll: (without any help on the internet), I taught Cassie to sit for food at 6 weeks old!! Then 16 months later we had her little sister and I did the same.

After food and a treat I would say "Thas yer lot" (That is all :wink: ) and clap my hands. They soon picked up my silly communication!! and walked away, this eventually evolved into "Shallot, shallot, be-gone, be-gone" (That is all, please go :wink: )

Feeding time can be training time for:- - - - me human, I love and feed you - - - you doggy, eat, love and respect me.

Chel and Dilys xxx

P.S. I still think Benji looks like HRH Prince Charles :D :roll:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts