Labradors Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I are picking up our pup on the 19th. He'll be seven weeks old. We both work days. My question is how long should he be left in his crate as a puppy? I'll be able to take a long lunch to spend time with him but I'm worried about periods in between.

Please advise.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Hi!

Congratulations on your soon to be new arrival!!

I personally would not crate a puppy or any dog for that matter for longer than 3 hours, any time over 3 hours they are bound to need a wee.

How long would your pup be left alone during the day?

Speak soon
Sarah

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!
We can't wait. We finally have a nice big yard for him to romp in.
It would be around 4 hr stretches that he would be alone.

Do you recomend a confined area with an opened crate?

Appreciate the help!

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
I think intially close the crate door, then gradually as he/she gets older leave the door open and let him/her wander in or out - its all a question of confidence for the pup - the big wide world must seem huge to them at 1st, I know our pup Charlie used to look permanently daunted by everythign around him - have a read of the other post on the forum about crating - and good luck!!

I envy you having a puppy - Charlie although still puppy like at 9 months has all of a sudden lost the cute puppy face and become a strapping, very beautiful dog!! :D

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Hi AmFriday
Please don't take this the wrong way, but 7 weeks to be left for two four hour stretches a day is IMO far too long. How will you toilet train him? Can you arrange for someone to come in to see him while you are at work?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for the constructive criticism. I guess I should have mentioned my sister in law lives next door and she'll be coming over to let him out. When she's not available we have neighbor who's daughter will be able to help.

thanks again

·
Registered
364 Posts
With Harvey we closed down the space in the crate to begin with so he only had literally enough space to turn around in, opening it up as he grew

Apart from about an hour of protest yelping on the first night he has taken to it wonderfully, never messing or peeing in it but initially I let him out every couple hours during the night. He did however become capable of holding his bladder overnight far sooner then I dared hope!

We leave the door open during the day and he wanders in and out of it at will, but this didnt happen immediately, takes a while for them to regard it as their "den"

I cant imagine being without it now!

Cheers
Nigel

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Hi Amfriday
Apologies if you thought it was criticism is was not intended.
You may have already thought of this, but can you and / or your wife take some time off work so there will be someone with him for the first couple of weeks. Not only will it really help with the toilet training, but you will be able to get him used to being on his own gradually.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
One more question

I'm going to have a crate upstairs in our bedroom with us while we all sleep. Would it be confusing for the pup to have one down stairs in the living room as well?

Thanks everybody for your help!

AMF

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
Hi, i have a 6 month old lab and we used a dog crate for the first 3 months mainly for house training. We to put the dog crate in the bedroom for the first few nights and it worked quite well although we did move it down stairs after a few days. i only left him in the crate for no more than 3 hrs as they do need to go to the toilet alot for the first few months untill they can hold on longer.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hello,
Thanks for the information. So what your saying is having two crates or a crate in two different places won't confuse or frustrate the dog?

Have a good day!

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
Hi, i don't think two crates or moving the crate would make much difference so long as you move it between the same rooms. One or two, they should still smell of your dog, try just moving the bedding and a favorite toy between the crates or you could just move the crate but i know they are quite heavy :) goodluck

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
Hi,

This is my first labrador, we did have a german shepherd before but it is surprising how much you forget having to start at the beginning again. I hope the crating goes well and you don't have to many sleepless nights (and don't have to let him out to the toilet to much either!) :wink:

cristina

1 - 14 of 14 Posts