Labradors Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys im back again asking for more advice, my boys have definetley gone backwards in training & i feel im always on here asking for advice at the min, but the advice you get is always great :D

Anyway having recently applying post on my boys still pooping in the kitchen at nighttime, someone suggested trying to crate train them.

Now never having used a crate, im slightly concerned, it almost feels cruel to me, but im a softie and i think its because i've never used one.

But i am starting to think its maybe a good idea and am considering doing it, hoping that it will prolong the time in needing to go.

However would i beable to crate my boys together if i got a big enough crate, they love cuddling up at night and would hate for them to have to be separated.

i've tried all other suggestions, making sure they go out plenty before we go to bed, going out with them, feeding them earlier etc and they just seem to be getting worse, it happens every night mow!!!!

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
I have two and was having the same problem as you - pooing at night. At about 5 months old I bought a Great Dane size crate and they shared that. They still have their crate but i don't shut the door anymore althought they both still snuggle up together in it.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that, Im going to get one and try them. Im thinking i may get some crying to start with and trouble actually getting them in as Charlie is terrible at trying to get in a car never mind a crate!!!

Did it work for your dogs, as in they stopped pooping??

·
Registered
757 Posts
I'm no expert, but you don't think they are playing and getting excited which is causing them to do their business?
Your don't leave food or water down, do you?

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Yes it stopped them pooing. They won't wee or poo in their crate as they would have to lie in it. Sometimes they will get me up in the night by barking if they need to go but that is usually only if they have an upset stomach.

·
Registered
10,913 Posts
I would suggest giving them there own bed space... so 2 crates.... if they decide to play and fight in the crate and you give them enough space to do so, then they will not think of it as their bed, but as a play space.

I would personally get two crates, if you have the space for it.

Honestly its not cruel, it is there own wee space and it is probably what these two need. They will resist and pinge and whine and complain, but try to persevere and things will come right. I still have Pasco in a crate during the day time when I'm at work, for his own safety more than anything. He's 14 months now.

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
What time do they get their last meal at? You could maybe also try altering their feeding times in case that's having an influence on them needing to poo during the night.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I havnt really got space for the 2 crate's, really dont know what to do now.

Ive tried feeding them earlier they have their last feed at 4, used to be about 6.
Then they have their last walk about 7 and so out into the garden several times before going to bed.

I leave them a little water during the night but no food, ive havnt heard them playing during the night recentley, they used 2 beacuse i could hear them banging up the baby gate we have put up!!!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ive decided on trying a crate, worth a try if it stops my boys from pooping all over the place during the night.

The test starts 2mo, should be interesting!!!

G

·
Good luck with the crate. I felt the same way as you did when we first got the crate for Ruby, and always felt like we were imprisoning her. It helped me to remember that if the crate were made of, say, wood rather than metal, then it would look more like a kennel. And kennels aren't prisons. It definitely helped us with the house-training, and the first night she went through without soiling the crate was a cause for celebration!

Ruby loves her crate now. I still remember the first time she went in there of her own accord and had a snooze - I could've wept with joy! She definitely just sees it as her 'bed', and is not at all reluctant to go in there when asked.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Sue, my partner is picking one up 2day, so should be interesting later. Im hoping their matress bed they already have will fit in and that then they will just see it as their bed as normal.

Someone suggested getting the 2 crates one for each dog, but i havnt got the room, so im hoping they will be okay together in the one crate, got a big one, they are used to cuddling up though.

Im hoping that because they are generally big dogs now and theres gone be 2 of them in there, that there wont be room to do poops in the crate!!!
Only time will tell.

By the way your Ruby is gorgeous, and where did you get her lovely orange collar from, it goes lovely with her brown coat.

G

·
Ooh, I hadn't realised her collar looked orange. It's actually just a standard brown leather one from Pets At Home - from the Wainwrights range, I think!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts