Labradors Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are getting a pure bred Labrador pup soon and have been reading up a lot on training and crate training so we can have a good dog. Has anyone tried crate training and what size crate is best?
We were trying to find a crate that will be big enough to puppy to when its big as like a kennel? any recommendations on sizes?
Once crate trained does that mean the dog wont wee etc inside?
Iv also heard labs are very distructive and chew up stuff? is this true?
Or is this only dogs that have had no training?
Any advice or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
mel

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
Lots of questions there! Have a look at the sticky posts on the puppy forum.... loads of previous threads about crate training, toilet training, dealing with play biting/chewing etc!

I'd go for a 42" crate....or bigger if you have room.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I was in this position a few months ago. Read as many of the previous posts as you can - it's a wealth of information.

I agree with Moj, get the biggest crate you have room for. We were lent a 32" crate and at 14 weeks, I can see that Poppy will need to go to the bigger one before too long if I want her to be comfortable.

Re destructive Labs: do a search for 'mischievous' on the forum. There was a thread recently about what labs had done to furniture and houses - you'll be astounded!!!

I have to say when we first considered getting a puppy, I thought crate training sounded a little odd, but really it's a lifeline for you and a very happy home for your pup. I find it very comforting to know that when I have to go out, Poppy is at home asleep (or chewing through a Kong), safe and sound. She can't hurt herself, can't chew the kitchen cabinets and won't be weeing indiscriminately!

Read everything you can about it, and also all the tips on Labrador puppies. Having had Westies years ago, Labs are VERY different!

Best of luck :D

·
Registered
88 Posts
We bought a crate for George just before we got him at 8 weeks. Got it from Pets at Home and got the 2nd biggest size as this suited the space situation at home and so it would last a while until he got too big. Think it' 90 cm deep x 63 wide and 60 something high (also got a collapsable version the same size for the car)

He took to it straight away. Cried for 10 mins the first night, 15 the second and once during the day while he was in there. Apart from that - not a squeak!! And he stays in there all night. Think we could have been lucky though. I hear some take to ot better than others, but if you start straight away you could be as lucky. He's never messed in it (yet!) as Pups don't like to mess their bed - so good for toilet training from that point of view. Apart from at night - made sure he wasn't in there too long and had the opportunity to go to the loo whenver he wanted.

It's been a bit of a life saver if we are out or when trying to do house chores without any help?!

He's 16 weeks now and will be too big to be in there soon or at least for any length of time. So we've got to think what to do next and are seriously considering a kennel and smalll run

So I'd plan now for when he out grows a crate

HTH's

1 - 4 of 4 Posts