Labradors Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum. I have read the many cracking threads on here & wonder if anyone can help me with a question. Our black lab bitch puppy is ready to join our family on the 1st September. We went to the local pet shop to enquire about a crate & he said that I'll need 2 crates - a smaller one for when she's a pup and a larger one for when she grows. Is this what you all did or is he trying to pull a fast one and sell me 2 crates? What size crate do you all have & where did you get it? Thanks for any help and advice.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Hiya and welcome to LF :D

We bought a 42inch crate for Bailey.....she soon grew into it :wink:

We got it from ebay, much cheaper than any of the pet stores we looked at :D

·
Registered
248 Posts
Hi, welcome to LF :D

I got a 42" crate for my pup Lola. She's 10 weeks now. I've put vetbed in the base of the crate, and she has her 'my first bed' bed in the crate too. The bed takes up about half the space and she either sleeps in there or stretched out on the remaining floor space.

I don't think you need two crates - that'll cost you - just one big enough for your pup to grow into. I plan on having Lola in her crate for a year at least, so was advised that the 42" is suitable for a fully-grown lab. Some people section off a big crate so that it is just big enough for pup to sleep in to discourage toileting overnight (pup won't like to mess in it's bed being the theory) but I don't do this - I just get up through the night - and haven't had any problems so far.

Hope this helps. I ordered my crate online.

Enjoy pup when she arrives :D

·
Registered
45,877 Posts
I`m with the others, you don`t need to buy two crates, you just end up with one you don`t need!, as said already you can section part of a 42" off to help stop the pup toiletting in the big space or, as Linds and many people do, set the alarm for a while and get up to the pup thru the night, for the first few weeks its bladder won`t be able to hold wee all thru the night :)

As said as well, its best to get the crate from Ebay, I believe you can even get one that comes with a divider and some have free bedding too, either way all much cheaper than buying from a pet shop :D

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you everyone, that's great. The pet shop was £75 for a 42 inch crate but I can get one on ebay that looks just as good for £38 delivered. I'm a bit of a novice at all this. We had a lab when I was very small & although I've grown up with dogs I've never been responsible for one before. My wife ribs me that I never showed so much interest in the children! I have bought 2 training books and one lab owners handbook & printed off several threads on here for reference. I just want to try to do everything right (or as close as I can get). I have an 8 year old with mobility issues who can get knocked over (he's very tough though) & I'm really keen to prevent Molly jumping up if anyone has any tips that worked for them.

Thank you all again. This is a very friendly place.

·
Registered
45,877 Posts
You`ll probably be surprised many dogs know when someone isn`t able to take the usual rough and tumble and having Molly from a pup will mean you can train her from the word go, hopefully she and your son will become the best of pals :D

You do need to set boundaries for both kids and pup though, as Molly will only be very young when she arrives she will do a good bit of sleeping, the kids have to know that when she`s resting she isn`t to be disturbed, when they are playing together you`ll find the pup may mouth, if/when she does, tell her a sharp no and stop the game immediately, this way she should learn quickly that mouthing means no more interaction :)

·
Registered
14,890 Posts
As the others have said, go for the biggest (they grow very quickly :wink: )

I guess I'm lucky to have crates in all shapes and sizes - but my girls who need crates are in 42" and my boy is in a 48"

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
We have a 42" crate. We started of with a 36" but he grew out of it very fast - if I were to be starting again, I'd go for the 42" from the outset. I got ours from Ebay and it is great, again about £38 delivered.

·
Registered
322 Posts
It's worth noting that if you do buy a large crate to start with it's possible your new pup will toilet in it, if there is room to go at one end and sleep at the other.

Personally, I have always used 2, one for when she was first home at around 8 weeks and then moved her into a larger one as she grew. In fact, with Sophie I used 3! However, she never toileted over night in her crate so it was worth the expense.

One option with a larger crate is to make it smaller by putting something up, like a divider, so that she can only use part of it until she is bigger.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
We bought 2 crates,but only because we needed a slightly smaller one for the car.Again we used Ebay and I had 'soft crates' because Lottie hated the noise of a metal one, which we had borrowed to start. Luckily she was never a chewer and loved her soft crate.I'm happy to say from 10 weeks we had not one accident in the crate :)

I think you'll be amazed how they pick up that they have to be more gentle in certain situations.Lottie has always spent one day a week with my friend.She has 2 Shitzus,one of which who is very disabled.She has never attempted to play with Ozzie but Jasper,who is fine,is one of her very best friends and they race around together.How did she know..I find that fascinating.
Good luck with your pup.

Barbara

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
We only bought 1 crate (42") from ebay - as discussed.

We did however dived the crate in half for the first few months (only at night) to avoid any temptation to topilet in there - we just used to 2 plastic boxes upside down to block off an area at night - which worked a treat.

Though I know many more don't even both with this :)

You must be so excited - please keep asking questions on here, or better still have a look through the information that is already there - it's a god send :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you for all the advice. I have bought a 42" one from ebay for £58 delivered, including free vet bed, free divider and free stainless steel bolt on food and water bowls! Just 1 week and 4 days till we bring Molly home, but who's counting :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts